Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and the musician - ANSWERS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Kronos and the musician - ANSWERS Reply with quote

OK, here's what I know. Please keep in mind I haven't had my Kronos except for a few days. There will be corrections to this, so people chime in. These are the things I learned so far about the Kronos that might be different from what I expected.

Now, even if nothing were to be changed/fixed on the Kronos, I still consider this to be one of the best keyboards I have ever owned. I would put it next to some of my greatest keyboards I have owned such as the Yamaha VL1, DX7, Polysix, Mono/Poly, OB-X and others.

FILES FOR BACKUP
See page 184 of the Operations Guide

Let's get a few things straight. Save All… doesn't save all of the stuff WE might want. So to get everything to save, choose Save Sampling Data. This will save all of the references to the samples that you are using. This includes any user samples and references to the samples stored on disk. Save Sampling Data is stored as a .KSC file (it will save other files if you have user samples).

Next, you can now use the Save All… command. This will save all of your Karma, programs, combis and other data. There will be a .KSC file created but this only refers to user sampling data. It does not contain references to the factory sample data.

Here's a listing of some of the important files.

.PCG - data/parameters of all of your programs, combinations, drum kits, wave sequences and global settings.

.SNG song file data and if the song contains audio, WAVE files will be saved as well.

.KGE Karma Generated Effects file.

.KSC this is a LISTING - like a text file of the references to samples. This does NOT contain samples. Just references to them.

So for us, to backup our keyboard (assuming no user samples), we need the .KSC produced with Save Sample Data (and possibly any files/folders created along with the .KSC) and the files/folders created by Save All…

If you have user sampled data, then you need to save the sample data that will be stored in folders that Save Sampling Data creates.

To truly store the entire state of the keyboard, you would need all of the above PLUS whatever is referenced in the FACTORY folder (since that is where the samples are stored for factory presets).

-------------------------------

.KSC for loading upon startup

.KSC files are also used to tell the Kronos what sample references you might want upon startup. This is in the global basic-KSC Auto-Load Page. (Op Guide page 166)

You can apparently created .KSC files that load subsets or supersets (as much as can fit in memory) of the factory samples. So you can use less or more memory by loading in different .KSC files.

-----------------------------

Saving a program:

As far as I know, you need to save a bank - even if it contains only one program. Note that this can get complicated if the program references user samples etc… Then this will require multiple files (.KSC, .PCG, user sample folders etc…)

Banks in Kronos:

A bank can be an HD-1 bank or EXi bank. They cannot contain both types, so you have to choose beforehand what you want to store in the bank.

Polyphony:

Kronos uses polyphony even when programs are muted in combos. There is a way around this for 4 layers using Karma Switches. This works well. However although the Karma switches work, you still need to switch a mode to adjust volumes. Then switch back to Karma switch mode to turn timbres on and off.

Effects in Combi:

There is no automatic way to load multiple programs exactly as they sound if they use master effects as a critical timbre. Right now you need to copy and paste different effects to get the desired result. There is a way to load one program, but for multiple programs, this must be done manually.

Controller lists for parameter control:

Not every popup contains the entire list of MIDI controller numbers. Therefore if you want to use a particular controller, you may sometimes need to assign it to something like an axis on one of the joysticks and then reference that as a controller to a parameter in a program or combo.

Octave up and down:

This is a programmable feature and is not enabled on all programs or combis. If you need it, you need to assign SW1 and SW2 to these functions.

Search:

There is no text search for programs or combis, only categories.

Favorites:

You need to check Favorite and then save the program/combi for the "favorite" to stick.

References (the manuals!!!):

save all….
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62759

effects in combis

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62732

preloading KSC

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62790

Not all programs playing from disk

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62617

Polyphony and combis:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62564

OASYS resource:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum_archive/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=21331

All corrections appreciated!

Last edited by aron on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
ldascanio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos and the musician Reply with quote

[quote="aron]
Favorites:
You need to check Favorite and then save the program/combi (is this true?)
[/quote]

Yes. True!.
"Favorite" option is like one more parameter of each program / combi.
Each time you modify this option you need to save the program/combi to save the change.
When searching in a list the FAVORITE option at the bottom will filter and show only the programs/ combis that were saved with the FAVORITE option enabled.

Pretty logical from my point of view.

You can also change the category / sub category for your programs/combis and even create your own categories/subs to make your search easier, but once modified you will also need to save your program/combi if you like to preserve the change so it's reflected next time you use a search list.

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer that Save All isn't quite all...

Since the Save All creates multiple files, can you reload all of them at once? I'm used to Yamahas where All means just that Confused
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meatballfulton wrote:

Since the Save All creates multiple files, can you reload all of them at once? I'm used to Yamahas where All means just that Confused

Normally (on Korg's other keyboards), 'save all' creates a KSC which you can load to get your PCG and samples loaded at once maintaining references.

I'm not sure but I think on KRONOS/OASYS you can also load a .SNG (sequencer project) and that will ask you if you want to load the associated files (files of the same name/in a subfolder of the same name I think).
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:

Normally (on Korg's other keyboards), 'save all' creates a KSC which you can load to get your PCG and samples loaded at once maintaining references.

And it does that here, too. The difference is that the KRONOS also allows you to load EXs samples via KSC, and the KSC *currently* saved by Save All doesn't include EXs. I consider this an omission and hopefully it will be fixed soon (though no guarantees as always).

Note that if you simply use the factory-loaded set of EXs, even in combination with your own user samples, you really don't need to save the EXs setup. Just don't choose the "clear EXs" option when loading.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Dan, thanx, i hope it will become reality
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: