Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

Friends, There are some really cool new solo vio/cello sounds. Group strings sounds harsh and metallic to my ears. if I reduce the filter frequency, it reduces the harshness but makes the sound thin and dull. Leaving the filters as-is but tweaking the EQ didn't help either.

Any tricks to edit the group Strings sounds? If anyone of you folks have managed to tweak, would you be kind enough to share the PCG?

Why is it that this 2011 machine can't produce good strings and sax sounds which even the 20-year old O1/W can? This is frustrating. I wish we get the KARO libraries ASAP.

Are there any 3rd party string libraries which can be loaded into Kronos?
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your monitoring setup?

Regards,

MM
kron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of Genelec 8030, or Bayerdynamic DT 770 Pro..
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to have my 73 in a few weeks and I will probably tweak the strings if I find them to be harsh. I would start with some EQ in the 3k-6k range depending on where the bite was coming from...but, strings can sound harsh up close in reality, so it maybe a little lowpass filter and reverb could sweeten them.

It's hard to judge from here without a listen.

What happens if you change the global velocity response to something harder? I find sometimes multi layered samples are just voiced for some else's touch.

Regards,

MM
kron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MM, that may be a good pointer, as they sound even more harsh at higher velocity levels

Looking forward to you receiving the K73 Smile
mm-pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as much as me!!

Regards,

MM

kron wrote:
Hi MM, that may be a good pointer, as they sound even more harsh at higher velocity levels

Looking forward to you receiving the K73 Smile

RKfan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so it maybe a little lowpass filter and reverb could sweeten them.

I agree this is a good way to go - maybe a bit of delay too.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

kron wrote:
Friends, There are some really cool new solo vio/cello sounds. Group strings sounds harsh and metallic to my ears. if I reduce the filter frequency, it reduces the harshness but makes the sound thin and dull. Leaving the filters as-is but tweaking the EQ didn't help either.

Any tricks to edit the group Strings sounds? If anyone of you folks have managed to tweak, would you be kind enough to share the PCG?

Why is it that this 2011 machine can't produce good strings and sax sounds which even the 20-year old O1/W can? This is frustrating. I wish we get the KARO libraries ASAP.

Dont hold your breath, to load Any 3rd party anything... Karo etc ...you will first have to "Unload" whats already loaded at boot up. Thus limiting the Combis inside. ..and I believe the current library for Karo String used in the Oasys is too large anyway.
kron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
kron wrote:

Dont hold your breath, to load Any 3rd party anything... Karo etc ...you will first have to "Unload" whats already loaded at boot up. Thus limiting the Combis inside. ..and I believe the current library for Karo String used in the Oasys is too large anyway.

Sparkie, you are right, it's very large for Kronos. They are building up a new library for Kronos but I need some other 3rd party library today till that gets released!
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
kron wrote:

Yes, for the OASYS you need 4GB and EXs2 and EXs3 unloaded, then it loads the KSL fine. However, they're very, very good!

Whenever I need good strings (in whatever way - ie staccato, marcato, bowed, lush, etc) I just load them up. Takes a couple of minutes but then it's good to go.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

kron wrote:
sparkie wrote:

Sparkie, you are right, it's very large for Kronos. They are building up a new library for Kronos but I need some other 3rd party library today till that gets released!

You bearing in mind the Kronos can load up OASYS libraries no problem? Okay, all kronos parameters are not catered for but according to Korg, they will work.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

cello wrote:
Yes, for the OASYS you need 4GB and EXs2 and EXs3 unloaded, then it loads the KSL fine. However, they're very, very good!

The OASYS supports only 2 gigs of RAM.
kron

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm now trying to load KARO libraries I purchased for Oasys but as soon as I connect my USB stick (that contains my samples to copy) to Kronos, it hangs. Tried 3 times. Now I will try using a different USB stick.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Strings - they sound too harsh Reply with quote

kron wrote:

I don't have any PCGs for you, but i have the two multisamples in KSF format that make up the Korg 01/W's program "A07 TheStrings"... PM me and I'll send you the link. I sampled them myself... so they're safe to use.

I actually liked the string multisample in EXs1 - i felt like it was the missing link in the ensemble strings sounds... they sounded a lot like the 01/W's, moreso than any of the other Korg attempts at string samples... particularly the program "Stereo Strings."
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kron wrote:
Yup, I'm now trying to load KARO libraries I purchased for Oasys but as soon as I connect my USB stick (that contains my samples to copy) to Kronos, it hangs. Tried 3 times. Now I will try using a different USB stick.

I'm sorry that you're having difficulty. Can you provide more information on this? For instance:

Are you connected the USB stick and then starting up the system, or waiting until the system starts up and then connecting the stick?

Do you see an error message, or does the system just stop responding? If it stops responding, how long have you waited before giving up?

Thanks,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: