Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those that still have some doubts (JP 80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not familiar with the Gaia, but if you don't like the Roland sound, I'm not sure that the JP80 is going to change your mind on that. Scott told me that the VA in the JP is Roland's most powerful synth ever. I asked him if that included the V-synth GT. Obviously the V does things on the sampling and vocoder end that the Jupiter does not, but he said outside of those differences, the JP engine is definitely more advanced. In what aspects, I'm not sure.

I just got home and will spend more time with the Jupiter tonight. In the short time that I have had it, I have had so much fun playing it, I haven't really gone into all the editing as I'm sure many of you would.

The Jupiter definitely isn't going to give you all the tools of the Korg engines, but if you like the sounds that the V created, I can't see you not liking the sounds on the Jupiter.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you saying that they rely on PCM for the JP8 replications??? I would have assumed that the VA section would have done that.

The VA section of the JP-80 can use additional PCM waves like the Korg Radias.

I don't think the basic analog waveforms (saw, pulse, etc.) are PCM. The JP-80 can reshape the basic analog waves and does PWM. I'm not sure if you can do those things with PCM samples.

Quote:

McHale wrote:
> The SoS review tested a JP-80 and a JP-8 side by side and he couldn't tell the difference

And if he says he couldn't tell the difference, he was either on crack or was told to say that in the review.

Did you read the review? Don't be so self-centered. The reviewer actually complained that Roland wouldn't share some key information with him for the review.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
I'm not sure if you can do those things with PCM samples.

On a Kurzweil, you can PWM any sample, except a sine wave. Smile
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Chriskk wrote:
I'm not sure if you can do those things with PCM samples.

On a Kurzweil, you can PWM any sample, except a sine wave. Smile

Just messing around right now, it appears you can.

I'm not sure which factory patches use the PCM. As I mentioned before they are the 8th category. The SOS reviewer mentions there are 380 of them and that some contain classic JP80 sounds.

The layout on the Roland screen is much easier to use than the Kronos. Combined with the rock solid dial, it is a vey different experience than working with the Kronos screen and dial.

Last edited by Bruce Lychee on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 am; edited 2 times in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Did you read the review? Don't be so self-centered. The reviewer actually complained that Roland wouldn't share some key information with him for the review.

1. How is my comment self centered? Did you just look for a random adjective to insert there?

2. Did you actually do any ACTUAL research on the JP80 or did you just go off of the review? Roland won't share "key" information because it's so disappointing or just rehashed... again.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Roland won't share "key" information because it's so disappointing or just rehashed... again.

That could be the reason, or maybe they feel it is important to protect "key" information. I don't think it is reasonable to jump to any conclusions either way. Scott shared more with me than the SOS reviewer seemed to get via email inquiry.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more shots:

WorknMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish the screen was that big on the real synth Smile heh
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorknMan wrote:
Man, I wish the screen was that big on the real synth Smile heh

It really doesn't need to be. I don't think the Kronos screen needs to be any bigger either, but the GUI on the Kronos could take some serious pointers from Roland. It might take some time and resources but I think Korg should really put some effort to revise that area. Wishful thinking perhaps.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my way into the Kronos menu structure within one or two weeks, after years of using the Roland editing structures. If anything, this indicates that the Kronos menu structure is well useable.

The JP80 layout is more colourful, and to me not even in a convincing way. I just fail to see any big advantage of one layout over the other. You can work with both - you just get much more to work with in the Kronos, because it offers so much more for sound shaping and editing than a JP 80. Wink
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I found my way into the Kronos menu structure within one or two weeks, after years of using the Roland editing structures. If anything, this indicates that the Kronos menu structure is well useable.

The JP80 layout is more colourful, and to me not even in a convincing way. I just fail to see any big advantage of one layout over the other. You can work with both - you just get much more to work with in the Kronos, because it offers so much more for sound shaping and editing than a JP 80. Wink

I have no issue with the structure. But to put it frankly, the Kronos GUI looks like it was designed 5 years ago and that's being kind. Some things could have been a little more thoughtfully designed. Couple that with the dial from K-mart and it doesn't quite make for the best working experience, especially for a workstation.

The Kronos has many more synth engines, but the GUI of any given one doesn't need to be more complicated than the Jupiter GUI.

I am very happy with my Kronos, but IMO it falls short of being the perfect workstation because of compromises in materials and a working interface that could use some improvement. The sounds make it worth it, but perhaps another $500 on the price tag would have allowed for a higher standard in some manufacturing and design areas.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the data wheel quality, though I haven't had any problems so far.

Concerning the synth engines, the Jupiter VA isn't remotely as powerful and sophisticated as for example AL-1, and in most other areas the Kronos also has HUGE tweaking power in advance over the JP-80.

But I guess, besides the from my view weird and EXREMELY limited controller surface and missing other functionality in all areas, it's exactly the price which will cause heavy problems for getting JP-80s sold. Even people who like it tell me they won't buy it for that reason.

Some people who happen to like the preset sounds will buy it, but I don't expect too much more to happen.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
I agree on the data wheel quality, though I haven't had any problems so far.

Concerning the synth engines, the Jupiter VA isn't remotely as powerful and sophisticated as for example AL-1, and in most other areas the Kronos also has HUGE tweaking power in advance over the JP-80.

But I guess, besides the from my view weird and EXREMELY limited controller surface and missing other functionality in all areas, it's exactly the price which will cause heavy problems for getting JP-80s sold. Even people who like it tell me they won't buy it for that reason.

Some people who happen to like the preset sounds will buy it, but I don't expect too much more to happen.

I think you are selling the VA short. Between the V and the Jupiter, I think I can get sounds that are very different from the Korg and excellent in their own right.

The price may deter people but if the Kronos was built to the Jupiter's manufacturing and design standards, perhaps we would be looking at an OASYS 2 rather than Kronos. Today's market may not support that kind of pricing but I think the Kronos took the concept of value a bit too far.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get the data wheel problem. It works, what more do you need? I'm using every day without any problems.

The UI of the Kronos doesn't look any older than any other UI - except maybe the lack of color on the Jupiter.

Show me another keyboard with the graphical UI of the MS-20 or Polysix from 5 years ago.

When I was playing and editing the Jupiter VA, things were just as small to select. Look at the pictures you posted; there is a lot of unused space - things could be even bigger.

Yes, the Jupiter has a ridiculously huge data wheel, but I turn mine on the Kronos and it works. I don't need it to be metal. I'm glad the Kronos is 3 or 4 pounds lighter than my PC3. It's one of the reasons I don't carry around an XF - just ridiculous size and weight.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no connection to the Gaia.. Gaia uses PCM samples as the "oscillator" whereas the JP80 has true modeled oscillator sources.. And that's from Dan Krishner

McHale wrote:
jg:: wrote:
Are you saying that they rely on PCM for the JP8 replications??? I would have assumed that the VA section would have done that.

jg::

nope. the "VA" is on par with the Gaia so they have to rely on PCM. THAT'S why it could never truly replicate the JP8.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: