Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those that still have some doubts (JP 80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I just don't get the data wheel problem. It works, what more do you need? I'm using every day without any problems.

The UI of the Kronos doesn't look any older than any other UI - except maybe the lack of color on the Jupiter.

Show me another keyboard with the graphical UI of the MS-20 or Polysix from 5 years ago.

When I was playing and editing the Jupiter VA, things were just as small to select. Look at the pictures you posted; there is a lot of unused space - things could be even bigger.

Yes, the Jupiter has a ridiculously huge data wheel, but I turn mine on the Kronos and it works. I don't need it to be metal. I'm glad the Kronos is 3 or 4 pounds lighter than my PC3. It's one of the reasons I don't carry around an XF - just ridiculous size and weight.

The data wheel on the Jupiter is exactly the same as the V. I wouldn't exactly call it huge unless you happen to have child size hands. I doubt it adds that much to the overall weight.

I don't discount your in store experience, but using both, I find much room for improvement on the Kronos GUI. Regarding unused space on the Jupiter GUI, unlike the Kronos, it doesn't cause issues with the soft buttons or text that exist.

If you are happy with the materials and design of the dial that is all that matters for you, but in my case, I see the benefit of a dial design like the one Roland uses and certainly appreciate the tactile difference on something I use so frequently. I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't prefer a dial of the quality on the Jupiter over the one on the Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bruce Lychee"]
jimknopf wrote:
I

The price may deter people but if the Kronos was built to the Jupiter's manufacturing and design standards, perhaps we would be looking at an OASYS 2 rather than Kronos. Today's market may not support that kind of pricing but I think the Kronos took the concept of value a bit too far.

Korg needed a hit with the Kronos and price is king.

And if a co does not have sufficient sales, many of us know what happens to that co.

I have no quibble with the Kronos design , perceived shortcuts or otherwise.

I don't expect an MI co to be all things to all people-its simply not feasible.

My retail sources tell me the Kronos is flying out the door, preorders are still backlogged ( like mine) so this underlines the ' undervalue ' has not been a deterrent to a large majority of customers.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt the Kronos is in high demand. It is an incredible tool regardless of price. Nevertheless, one look at the rapidly deteriorating condition of the GC floor model tells me that a more robust design might have been warranted.
panrixx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
.......... Nevertheless, one look at the rapidly deteriorating condition of the GC floor model tells me that a more robust design might have been warranted.

How exactly is this floor model deteriorating?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
.......... Nevertheless, one look at the rapidly deteriorating condition of the GC floor model tells me that a more robust design might have been warranted.

I just ordered one of these for mine:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKPE61TSA

product/sku qnty @ price$ = total$
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gator GKPETSA ATA Molded Keyboard Case wi (61-Key, GKPE-61-TSA)
GATGKPETSA 1 @ 169.95 = 169.95
Subtotal 169.95
Tax 0.00
Shipping 0.00
Total 169.95
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:

Dial is definitely coming off. Chassis has noticeable play and rattle. Vector stick is completely loose compared to mine. I was there when the unit was brought in and know that it wasn't in this condition a month ago.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:

Subtotal 169.95
Tax 0.00
Shipping 0.00
Total 169.95

That's a great price. I just ordered the 88 key version of that last night for a grand total of $267.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
BillW wrote:

Subtotal 169.95
Tax 0.00
Shipping 0.00
Total 169.95

That's a great price. I just ordered the 88 key version of that last night for a grand total of $267.

Nicely done...that's a great price on the 88! Mine arrives Monday.
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Korg needed a hit with the Kronos and price is king.

And if a co does not have sufficient sales, many of us know what happens to that co.

I have no quibble with the Kronos design , perceived shortcuts or otherwise.

I don't expect an MI co to be all things to all people-its simply not feasible.

My retail sources tell me the Kronos is flying out the door, preorders are still backlogged ( like mine) so this underlines the ' undervalue ' has not been a deterrent to a large majority of customers.

But will it have staying power over its lifecycle? They're flying out the door now only because there is no competition. But when the other manufacturers do catch up, the little things like build quality and user interface can take a big toll. Hopefully Korg will make all the money they need to on the Kronos before then.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all talk as if the Kronos was literally falling apart before our eyes.

Maybe it's not built like some slightly ugly and definitely too heavy tank keyboards (not just from one brand, but I won't name them). But I laugh my socks off about the degree of uncertainty which is spread in this thread. Laughing

I'm glad that my Kronos weighs less than the JP80 (which is capable of so much less and costs nearly the same). If the Kronos should lose any parts in the next months or years be sure I will report it in this funny thread. Wink
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just calling it like it is. The GC Kronos is somewhat falling apart and my Kronos feels a little cheap on some materials compared to any other instrument I have owned. Not a deal breaker by any means and many people might experience no issues at all.

Aesthetic preferences vary so I can't argue with your opinion on other manufacturers' designs being ugly. I don't think the Jupiter is heavy and can certainly handle moving it alone.

As for comparative prices and the limited function of the Jupiter, they weren't built for the same purposes and while the Kronos might be a great value, I don't think the Jupiter is outlandishly priced like the $20k+ V-grand. Furthermore, it does things the Kronos doesn't. Most importantly, it sounds great and is a joy to use.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, I appreciate your comments on the Jupiter 80, as the first end-user I have seen posting anywhere. Keep the comments coming....favorable or otherwise. I am considering a JP80 purchase myself. More interested in the synth section than Supernatural so far. But intrigued overall. Any chance of posting a video focused on the synth side of things? Either way...thanks again, your feedback is most valuable at this time.

And I would have to say that I find few forms of opinion more credible than a guy who has both a JP80 and a Kronos sitting in his (very clean and attractive) living room for him to analyze in the quiet enjoyment of his free time. ALL other opinions are, IMHO, less worthy......at this early time. Just sayin...... Smile

Ron
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
Hey, I'm just calling it like it is. The GC Kronos is somewhat falling apart and my Kronos feels a little cheap on some materials compared to any other instrument I have owned. Not a deal breaker by any means and many people might experience no issues at all.

Aesthetic preferences vary so I can't argue with your opinion on other manufacturers' designs being ugly. I don't think the Jupiter is heavy and can certainly handle moving it alone.

As for comparative prices and the limited function of the Jupiter, they weren't built for the same purposes and while the Kronos might be a great value, I don't think the Jupiter is outlandishly priced like the $20k+ V-grand. Furthermore, it does things the Kronos doesn't. Most importantly, it sounds great and is a joy to use.

I would tend to think that a GC demo unit has suffered some on the floor.

I have seen first hand how folks , and small children, rough house $3000-$4000 keyboards on the floor.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most importantly, it sounds great and is a joy to use.

That's the bottom line, I guess. I love my Gaia. Not because it's very powerful and versatile, but because it's a sheer joy to play & program.

When I was testing the JP-80, I did feel like I was playing a nice musical instrument, not a complex digital machine. To me, the whole package is worth $3k and I hope to buy one this year.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When I was playing and editing the Jupiter VA, things were just as small to select. Look at the pictures you posted; there is a lot of unused space - things could be even bigger.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/sleestack666/IMG_0464.jpg

So. what is as small?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: