Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My review of the Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

So first i should say i come from a Triton and Radias background mainly.
I've never owned a synth this powerful. I fix keyboards for a living and can tell good from bad in terms of build and will be very honest.

I went into this with very VERY high expectations

I walked into guitar center in sherman oaks. The manager who btw was very nice was astonished by my programming skills and knowledge of it without ever really playing one.. after some diddling.. he decides to try to sell me this behringer keyboard amp, which was f*ck*ng awful.

Everything on the kronos sounded so bad in that room. The speakers we used, everything. I almost didnt want to get it... But i knew in my mind.. that these people dont know how to set up anything. and the true test would be when i got home (I made a deal with them that i would pay today if i get a brand new one in a week or my money back) (see other thread)

I took my triton EX off the Z stand, plugged in everything, and turned it on. First impression? Wow this thing has one beautiful display.... second? Man I dont know why people bitch so much about the loading time, i had enough time to grab a glass of water. after that I was welcomed by a very nice looking 'set list mode' of course with the first thing there being the german grand.

At this point, i havent heard myself play this thing without shitty speakers....

I played one note.... two notes...

Totally 100% blown away. The piano on this thing sounded so incredibly realistic I couldnt believe it!!!!!!!!
I set this up in the living room... right next to my fathers old Rhodes MK1... So i pulled up a MK1 patch on the kronos....and to my astonishment... NO DIFFERENCE. WHAT SO EVER. matter of fact, the kronos sounded BETTER... then i went to mess with the strings, wipe a few banks for my custom sounds, and start the conversion process.

Then my father got a call from his buddy Mike, who is a big Jazz pianist here in LA. He was happy to come see the Kronos... He sat down, pulled up the piano. blew us away. the eps, blew us away, but he really sounded like a boss on the organ. You dont know the true sonic power until you hear someone 100x better then you shred away on it Smile

So sound wise.... VERY happy. loading times... even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loaded a stereo multisample in less then 1 second (13 zones) which would take at least 10 seconds on my triton extreme via compact flash

I will also gripe with those who say the display could use some bigger buttons... the text is NO issue, but the buttons is a littttleee weird.... i hope for a fix in an OS update.

Now lets get the to build quality. I see good and bad builds daily and can assure you, in the long haul, this thing IS built like a tank

The dial DID come off. Its very apparent what happened in the mass production process, the ring needs to be a little less flexible. other then that, solid. very small defect.

the faders, feel VERY solid, yes the caps can come off, that is expected and normal from really anything with the style of faders this has. but just cause they can come off doesnt mean it easy to take them off.

the plastic sides ARE NOT what you think!!!!!!!!! they are solid plastic, they have no over hang. They are not like the tritons. you can pick it up by the plastic sides and not worry about a thing. and they are secured well.

the buttons are different then the tritons, they feel much more responsive, and i trust they will last longer.

my only gripe about build is the vector joystick. no its not flimsy in respect to the way it moves, its supposto be like that, but the silver piece has no threading and can pop off with a good pull, and it wont exactly go back on. I just got some super blue and dabbed a little on and put it back, and no problems yet. I will do this with my new kronos too.

Overall I am very happy. I see no room for the bitching that has been taking place. You all are crazy. this is a wonderful instrument and the best 3,300 i ever spent!

Expect my website to start filling up with KRONOS patches from myself... i have already recreated all my samples on it.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear about a great experience. Thanks for posting! Smile
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review.

> Then my father got a call from his buddy Mike

Not Mike Lang???? He's incredible!
theshinenz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get a 73?
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

Everything on the kronos sounded so bad in that room. The speakers we used, everything. I almost didnt want to get it...

Yep. It's a wonder that music stores sell ANYTHING based on how they have things setup. It's almost as if their goal is to make the gear sound as awful as possible. That's why I always take headphones.

robbinhood wrote:

Now lets get the to build quality.

my only gripe about build is the vector joystick . . . the silver piece has no threading and can pop off with a good pull, and it wont exactly go back on.

Seriously? Why do you guys keep TRYING to pull things of off the Kronos? Not good.
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

I will also gripe with those who say the display could use some bigger buttons... the text is NO issue

Absolutely IS an issue, when you reach a certain age!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lougheed wrote:
Seriously? Why do you guys keep TRYING to pull things of off the Kronos? Not good.

I'm more worried about their personal lives with this in mind. Laughing

Now I wouldn't say all stores set things up poorly but some do on the other hand my mom and pop will set things up any way you want within reason provided they know it won't sound like crap they want the sale! Good Store!

Thanks for the review! Interesting observation on that data wheel maeks a lot of sense. Any picture of the vector stick?
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:

Well this is the not the kronos im going to keep. its a floor model to hold me over until i receive a new one in the box in one week. A little chance to test things out. the knobs are on there solid as hell. the joysticks metal piece is just glued on though....

its better to find out and glue now then to show up to a gig and not find the big piece of your vector joystick Smile

Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

Well this is the not the kronos im going to keep. its a floor model to hold me over until i receive a new one in the box in one week.

And you glued the joystick back on? On a model that you will be returning? Wow! Another not good.
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder why it's a bad idea to buy the floor model... Confused
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
And people wonder why it's a bad idea to buy the floor model... Confused

Thats why im not keeping it forever.

PLease keep in mind, the vector stick is literally a tiny piece of plastic thinner then a toothpick. the thing you see is the metal piece that is GLUED on it!!!!

with a little tug that glue came undone, so i put more on. is that so wrong?

synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you don't have something to grouch about? You're not cool unless you're complaining about a KORG flagship synth. Wink
shap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: My review of the Kronos Reply with quote

Lougheed wrote:
robbinhood wrote:
my only gripe about build is the vector joystick . . . the silver piece has no threading and can pop off with a good pull, and it wont exactly go back on.

Darned if my six year old didn't pull it off about 12 seconds after he sat down at a K-61. Just saying that not everybody who finds that is setting out to see what's wrong.

Personally I'm OK with it, but that's because the keyboard is going to stay in a studio setting. If I anticipated moving the thing around a lot, I'd be thinking about ordering a few extra units of the outer part of the joystick (the silver piece).

shap
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude they glue it on factory!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: