Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expression Pedal Oddness?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Expression Pedal Oddness? Reply with quote

I am not sure if this is an issue, or if it makes perfect sense. I am very new to keyboards as sophisticated as this one.

I hooked an expression pedal up and realized that it would not do anything until I went into Global mode, Controllers, and establish a function for it. I chose JS+Y. And it worked.

However, later on I noticed that every patch I would change to would start with a vibrato effect on, until I physically moved the pedal or joystick to clear it. Unfortunately I noticed this *after* I had spent hours auditioning all of the combis and wondering why they all seemed to have so much vibrato.

I disconnected the pedal, thinking it was the hardware, or perhaps a polarity issue. But the problem persisted. I shut off the Kronos and restarted. But still every patch had vibrato until I moved the joystick to clear it.

Finally I went into Global settings and changed the pedal action to None and that resolved the problem. No more vibrato. Then, to test, I changed it back and the vibrato was back.

Is this normal behavior?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. That's how it's supposed to work.

I only program specific functions in specific patches for the expression pedal. For example, I go into all of the organ patches and set manual leslie speed to be controlled by the expression pedal.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you McHale. I am not sure I understand why this would be normal, but I can accept that it is. And besides, your method makes more sense, since JS+Y is going to do different things for each sound and it would make more sense to set up the expression pedal per patch. Thanks for the help Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, the expression pedal defaults to full-on. If it were set to Expression or Volume (Expression is technically preferred here, but similar result) and it defaulted to zero then every patch would be silent until you move the pedal.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks X-Trade. Makes sense. Of course, they could make the expression pedal work like the sliders and knobs on the control surface - their position essentially being ignored until they are actually moved. But I am sure they want to stay with the standard behavior people are expecting. I appreciate the explanation Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidnightPackage wrote:
Thanks X-Trade. Makes sense. Of course, they could make the expression pedal work like the sliders and knobs on the control surface - their position essentially being ignored until they are actually moved. But I am sure they want to stay with the standard behavior people are expecting. I appreciate the explanation Smile

That's exactly my point - the position is ignored until it is moved. It is replaced with a default value.
If it were assumed to be zero, then when controling volume (which whilst you may not be using it for, it is the most common use of it), the patch would not be heard.

However yes, it would be good if that CC were just ignored completely until it moved. I can see how that would work too.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro

Last edited by X-Trade on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
That's exactly my point - the position is ignored until it is moved.

But wasn't the problem of the OP that most patches started out with a lot of vibrato, meaning that obviously the expression pedal did affect the sound even though it hadn't been moved?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, edited my post.
Point is the position of the pedal is ignored. It is replaced with a default full-on rather then full-zero message.

Ideally, Korg should program it such that this behaviour is used for 'Expression' or 'Volume' only, and all other assigned functions assume a default of zero.
Or depending on the software's actual architecture, it could simply be ignored. Basically the same as above because surely, for any program Expression would have to be assumed to be full on. And 'volume' should be taken from the combi mixer or program level.

To clarify further. 'Expression' refers to CC11 which is used often for 'Expression Pedals' to control the effective volume. Really if you are doing this you should select 'Expression' instead of 'Volume' (CC7) as the function of the pedal, because Expression basically controls the level from zero up to the level set by 'Volume'. Leaving program/combi mixer settings intact.
Whilst this is not the function here, it is kind of understandable why the pedal CC defaults to full-on. In this example, the pedal is assigned to 'Joystick +Y' (or 'Modulation' - CC1), and is also defaulting to full-on.
Personally, yes, I would consider it somewhat of a software bug because the behaviour is slightly different that expected when using the pedal for other uses.
GiantSonicRobot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Whilst this is not the function here, it is kind of understandable why the pedal CC defaults to full-on.

It is unclear to me why there needs to be any default value in the first place. If the expression pedal was simply ignored until moved (just like any other controller), then the patch would initially play at the volume that it was stored with -- so, as far as I can see, there wouldn't be any problem.

I tend to agree with you that this rather seems like a software bug.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GiantSonicRobot wrote:
It is unclear to me why there needs to be any default value in the first place. If the expression pedal was simply ignored until moved (just like any other controller), then the patch would initially play at the volume that it was stored with -- so, as far as I can see, there wouldn't be any problem.

This is essentially what I was suggesting. I am not complaining though. I am very happy with my Kronos and I am sure this feature functions as it does on other keyboards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: