Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Dan or Jerry or anyone at Korg
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I very very rarely read reports about bad support from Korg.

They're golden, in my book.

When I first heard we got a consolation prize, I have to admit that I didn't pay much attention to what it was - "some small M-recorder something." Rolling Eyes I've just been reading up on what the MR-2 actually is. I also just noticed that it retails for $899. That's quite a consolation for 9 runner ups!! Very Happy It will certainly be very handy for getting location sound for my video work and getting sound effects.

I do a lot of recording with my Sennheisers cabled right into my Panasonic cameras, which only go up to 16 bit, and have been looking into the +-$400 Zoom H4n and the Tascam D100 for non-cabled options. I guess I can save some money and forget about those!

A big THANKYOU to Korg! Much appreciated.

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard all the best things about Zoom H4n. How does MR-2 compare?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
I've heard all the best things about Zoom H4n. How does MR-2 compare?

I haven't tried the H4n, but have also heard good things, including having a lot of built in effects. The main thing the Zoom has that I might miss are the XLR inputs.

It sounds like the Korg will have the advantage in fidelity (in the 1bit audio format), but less bells and whistles. I just read a couple of the reviews and spec pages. Some highlights:

Quote:
While all of the devices, including the MR-2, record audio in the standard PCM format, and many record in the MP3 format, the MR-2 is unique amongst all handheld models in its ability to record in the 1-bit DSD format.......

The sturdy build quality is evident the moment you pick up the unit, and I found that reassuring. Some of the portable recorders with very good features have flimsy plastic housings and cheap controls. Not the MR-2.....

The MR-2 is also the only recorder I’ve seen with two tripod mounts: one on the bottom and one on the rear panel (see Fig. 3). In addition, the battery compartment on the rear panel forms a raised platform that allows the MR-2 to keep its mics off the tabletop when the unit is laid down for recording.

All in all, the physical package struck me as possibly the best combination I’ve seen of build quality, control layout, and functionality. Nice job, Korg.

The MR-2 includes a solid selection of features, such as a low-cut filter, a built-in limiter, bass EQ, configurable automatic gain control (AGC), stereo enhancement, pre-record buffering, auto (level-triggered) record, and a configurable peak/hold indicator. Its utility functions include file divide, markers, file renaming, playlists, and record parameter presets. It also offers a tuner...

I also put the MR-2 up against my Zoom H4n in recording vibraphone, a highly revealing source I use regularly. The two 96 kHz/24-bit PCM recordings sounded much more similar than I had expected. The two recorders sat on a surface about 18 inches in front of the vibes and perhaps a foot above them. The MR-2’s internal mics were angled down by 30 degrees.

The MR-2 recording had somewhat less low-frequency content than the H4n’s, but the H4n’s LF response is not entirely flat, so the MR-2 recording had greater clarity, if less fullness.

Quote:
One of the most appealing features of the MR is the built-in stereo XY configuration mic, which can be rotated in 30 degree clicks (up to a total rotation of 210 degrees) so that it's always pointing at the source regardless of the unit's placement.

Quote:
Recording formats:
Compressed audio format

MP2 format (extension .mp2)
48 kHz@128, 192, 256, 320 kbps
MP3 format (extension .mp3)
44.1 kHz@128, 192, 256, 320 kbps

PCM audio format

WAV format (extension .wav), BWF compliant
44.1 kHz @ 16/24-bit, 48 kHz @ 16/24-bit
88.2 kHz @ 24-bit, 96 kHz @ 24-bit
176.4 kHz @ 24-bit, 192 kHz @ 24-bit

1-bit audio format

2.8 MHz @ 1-bit
DSDIFF format (extension .dff), DSF (extension .dsf), WSD (extension .wsd)

Some reviews CONS said "Expensive", but I won't worry about that!
Mus.i.c

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shark costume one is entertaining and cute. Good job to him.
But, sorry, we don't think it compares to the creativity of the 'prince of synth' video. The music, humor, depth of thought and things that were done are over the top.
They started out the contest asking for people to be radical and extreme, and then, ended up 'playing it safe'. I guess the Korg representatives were bound to be 'politically correct'.

Play on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: