Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drone on....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Drone on.... Reply with quote

So, I can usually find a setting in my synths to allow an oscillator or patch to drone on, without keeping a key depressed, or holding down the damper pedal. Sometimes its a performance feature of the keyboard (such as a setting to assign damper ON to a switch), sometimes its a setting in the editing of the synth (such as an oscillator or common HOLD or Gate setting).

I love to make ambient drones, and the KRONOS is SO well suited for it, sound wise, but I am having difficulty finding a workable "drone" setting (internally on the KRONOS, without resorting to external midi tricks).

Anyone have any good ideas for this?

Examples.....

Moog Voyager has a Env. Gate switch.

Access Virus has a Common Key Mode you can set to HOLD

Roland Fantom G has a global setting to assign Damper to a panel toggle switch.

Etc etc etc.

Can it be done on KRONOS?

Thanks for any ideas!
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to look when I have the Kronos turned on next meanwhile have you thought about trying the Help button? Just a suggestion.

On the main combi page there is a Hold Balance option at the top of the page. I am not sure if that does what you want. probably not.

The Parameters Guide might have what you need though.

Just checked that:

Hold Balance: Page 409

Hold Balance [Off, On]
On (checked): When any one of the volume sliders is
moved, the volume of the other timbres will change as
well. The volume balance of timbres 1–16 will be
maintained. This is useful when you wish to adjust the
overall volume.

Sorry that does not help you directly.

Pretty sure you can assign a foot switch to control just one sound in a combi etc

Last edited by Ksynth on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the ms-20 section talks about this.

Aron
ldascanio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
So, I can usually find a setting in my synths to allow an oscillator or patch to drone on, without keeping a key depressed, or holding down the damper pedal. Sometimes its a performance feature of the keyboard (such as a setting to assign damper ON to a switch), sometimes its a setting in the editing of the synth (such as an oscillator or common HOLD or Gate setting).

I love to make ambient drones, and the KRONOS is SO well suited for it, sound wise, but I am having difficulty finding a workable "drone" setting (internally on the KRONOS, without resorting to external midi tricks).

Anyone have any good ideas for this?

Examples.....

Moog Voyager has a Env. Gate switch.

Access Virus has a Common Key Mode you can set to HOLD

Roland Fantom G has a global setting to assign Damper to a panel toggle switch.

Etc etc etc.

Can it be done on KRONOS?

Thanks for any ideas!

Check the HOLD parameter in page 38 of the Parameter guide (Ver.2).
You can even select the range of keys that will respond to this command.

In the Kronos screen try chosing any program in PROGRAM MODE (HD or EXi) and look at the following screen:

Basic/Vector > Program Basic > Key zone parameters

Rgds.
OASYS 88 #000312
KRONOS 61 #003946
KORG Z1, ROLAND PK-5
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
have you thought about trying the Help button? Just a suggestion.

Ahhh....the old RTFM response.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (kidding)

I find that the HELP button is great if you know what you are looking for, such as pressing it when you are on a certain page or parameter to find out what it does, or what the options mean. On the other hand if you are hunting and pecking.....not so much.

In this case......I couldn't find it.

Truly thanks for offering a suggestion, however!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

ldascanio wrote:

Check the HOLD parameter in page 38 of the Parameter guide (Ver.2).
You can even select the range of keys that will respond to this command.

In the Kronos screen try chosing any program in PROGRAM MODE (HD or EXi) and look at the following screen:

Basic/Vector > Program Basic > Key zone parameters

Rgds.

And there it is!!!! For me, for whatever reason, that was like finding a needle in a haystack.

But that is it....exactly!

My sincere thanks and appreciation for helping me to scratch that itch!!! Very Happy Very Happy
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
I am having difficulty finding a workable "drone" setting (internally on the KRONOS, without resorting to external midi tricks).

Why not use a 'latch' footswitch (e.g. BOSS FS-5L) and assign it to CC#66 (that is sostenuto, not CC#64 sustain)?

To make notes drone, hit and hold the keys, press the pedal then release the keys and the pedal. To stop the drone, press the pedal again. This notes keep droning while you can play the kbd normally (sostenuto only sustains the notes that are playing when the synth receives CC=127).

With this method, you are not restricted to separate zones for the notes you want to drone and the notes you want to play.

Last edited by EXer on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Triton line I tend to assign one of the realtime control knobs to CC64 Sustain.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

Why not use a 'latch' footswitch (e.g. BOSS FS-5UL) and assign it to CC#66 (that is sostenuto, not CC#64 sustain)?

To make notes drone, hit and hold the keys, press the pedal then release the keys and the pedal. To stop the drone, press the pedal again. This notes keep droning while you can play the kbd normally (sostenuto only sustains the notes that are playing when the synth receives CC=127).

With this method, you are not restricted to separate zones for the notes you want to drone and the notes you want to play.

I have an FS-6b latching pedal. Don't use it much because its battery operated and not suited for a permanent studio installation. But I fully understand your suggestion, and I have done similar experiments in the past.

I always seek to find an edit parameter internal to the synth, if i can, before I resort to midi or pedal tricks. But some of those work great too...along with your suggestion, I have used some VSTs and Bidule to create a Midi Latch setting that is wonderful......press a note, it sustains indefinitely.....press same note, it silences. Simple trickery with midi on and off commands.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
On the Triton line I tend to assign one of the realtime control knobs to CC64 Sustain.

Yes I've done this too.....but its not as optimal as a toggle switch. On the KRONOS, this HOLD feature is cool, because it acts like an on screen real time toggle button. Hold a note...press it (on screen) and you get a drone......then later, press it again on screen, and it instantly releases. Super slick.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
(sostenuto only sustains the notes that are playing when the synth receives CC=127).

Is this accurate, or did you mean CC=66?
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of embarrassed to say this but on some of my other keyboards I've done this.

Since a damper is only a momentary on/off switch, I built a pedal with a heavy duty on/off switch and bought a 1/4" Y adapter. I run the damper as well as the home made pedal into the Y and plug into the damper jack. When I need it to hold, I step on the home built pedal. Step on it again to turn it off.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
RonF wrote:
(sostenuto only sustains the notes that are playing when the synth receives CC=127).

Is this accurate, or did you mean CC=66?

I mean when the synth receives a value of 127 for the CC#66.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

I mean when the synth receives a value of 127 for the CC#66.

Gotcha. Thanks. Actually, in testing it, which I have been doing since you posted it.....it seems it only needs any value greater than 65. Anything 64 and under is off.

It really is cool....the way you can play additional notes and NOT have them drone. Only thing is, to get a new note TO drone (after the initial ones you played), then you have to release and re-do CC-66. So each has their trade offs.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I'm sort of embarrassed to say this but

Dude! Why embarassed? I think that is awesome!

I am a sucker for playing with and creating multi layered drones. I have resorted to more crazy things than that to get some of my synths to drone, including masking tape holding down a key or three!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: