Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drone on....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
Since a damper is only a momentary on/off switch, I built a pedal with a heavy duty on/off switch and bought a 1/4" Y adapter. I run the damper as well as the home made pedal into the Y and plug into the damper jack. When I need it to hold, I step on the home built pedal. Step on it again to turn it off.

That's exactly what a 'latch' pedal like the BOSS FS-5L does.
And you don't need a Y cable if your synth has separate inputs for a damper and for an assignable foot switch.

Last edited by EXer on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

That's exactly what a 'latch' pedal like the BOSS FS-5UL does.
And you don't need a Y cable if your synth has separate inputs for a damper and for an assignable foot switch.

Which the KRONOS does, and setting the assignable pedal to CC-66, and using a pedal that has a toggle capability, alongside your regular damper pedal, is all you need. However, being able to program that HOLD function internally is nice too, especially with its key range. Great to set up a drone split.

Is the FS-5UL able to use a Roland power adapter? Thats my problem with the FS-6.....has the same latching pedal functionality....but requires only battery use, so you have to unplug the input cable every time you're finished, or your battery drains. As forgetful as I am, I am going through batteries like socks!
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:

I use the assignable foot switch for other things. And why take 2 jacks to perform 1 function?
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Drone on.... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Examples.....

Access Virus has a Common Key Mode you can set to HOLD

Never knew that until I just checked. Smile

Virus is great for drones. I always fully opened the attack and releases, allowing you to gently bring the sound back in and out as you play different keys. HarmonixJS springs to mind. Switch to poly, blow the attack and releases open wide and you can play to your hearts content. However this patch heavily relies on reverb feedback to generate its 'etherealness', in addition to the evolving intertwined LFO filtering.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Playing with HarmonixJS right now, and its great. It works even better in the HOLD key mode, which is also polyphonic, but with infinite sustain. Great patch...would not have found that one on my own....thanks!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here is a weird glitch on the KRONOS which arrises from this thread.....

I've been playing around with using an latched pedal assigned to CC-66 as suggested here. Works great! Love it!

So I take a pad sound in PROGRAM mode.....doesn't matter which one it is. Play a chord, hold down the pedal to engage CC-66, which latches ON. The chord drones, I play a few more notes.....all is good. Now I can hit the pedal again, to unlatch the CC66, and it will works as expected, releasing the notes, and they slowly decay to silence.

However....If while the notes are still sustaining, held by CC-66, if I then press the SEQ mode button to enter the Sequencer....the notes from the program I was playing, which are currently sustaining held by CC-66....continue to play, as expected (SST, I assume?). And whatever program is assigned to track one of the sequencer I can now play over the top of those droning notes from the "held" program.

Now here is the glitch.......The Sequencer is STUCK on track one.....in fact FROZEN on track one. I have not even pressed PLAY yet....it is idle. I cannot change tracks. And even if I hit the pedal again, to release the "held" notes....which causes them to release as expected....the Sequencer is still frozen on track one. You cannot change tracks by any input method. I can switch modes, select programs and combis, change songs, load a new song, ANYTHING, and the sequencer is stuck on track one. everything else functions normally....but the sequencer is frozen.

A restart/reboot of the KRONOS solves the problem. Only happens in connection with this assignable CC-66 pedal transferring from Program mode.

Sounds like a software bug to me.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course if you lived in the UK a beer mat does the job much better than tape!..
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Ok so here is a weird glitch on the KRONOS which arrises from this thread.....

I've been playing around with using an latched pedal assigned to CC-66 as suggested here. Works great! Love it!

So I take a pad sound in PROGRAM mode.....doesn't matter which one it is. Play a chord, hold down the pedal to engage CC-66, which latches ON. The chord drones, I play a few more notes.....all is good. Now I can hit the pedal again, to unlatch the CC66, and it will works as expected, releasing the notes, and they slowly decay to silence.

However....If while the notes are still sustaining, held by CC-66, if I then press the SEQ mode button to enter the Sequencer....the notes from the program I was playing, which are currently sustaining held by CC-66....continue to play, as expected (SST, I assume?). And whatever program is assigned to track one of the sequencer I can now play over the top of those droning notes from the "held" program.

Now here is the glitch.......The Sequencer is STUCK on track one.....in fact FROZEN on track one. I have not even pressed PLAY yet....it is idle. I cannot change tracks. And even if I hit the pedal again, to release the "held" notes....which causes them to release as expected....the Sequencer is still frozen on track one. You cannot change tracks by any input method. I can switch modes, select programs and combis, change songs, load a new song, ANYTHING, and the sequencer is stuck on track one. everything else functions normally....but the sequencer is frozen.

A restart/reboot of the KRONOS solves the problem. Only happens in connection with this assignable CC-66 pedal transferring from Program mode.

Sounds like a software bug to me.

Korg's workstations normally don't let you change sequencer track whilst a sound is playing. This stops stuck notes occuring where you've changed track before sending the 'note off' for any held notes.
The fact that it is stuck after you release the pedal does spell "bug" to me too. However you should try it from set list mode. I don't think Korg might have considered users sustaining sounds between modes normally.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I considered that this is not really SST at all. The "sustain" is not the decay of notes or effects.....rather it is the actual playing of notes still held (which I guess is a part of the SST feature set). And I do understand the point you are making about not changing tracks whilst a sound is playing....except in this context....1. The sequencer is not playing! I have never experienced a hold on changing tracks while the sequencer is idle. 2. the sound that is playing is not coming from the sequencer....rather from the "held over" program, which as I understand is standard operation procedure for SST, including combis, programs, and sequences. As you point out...the real strange behavior is how the sequencer stays frozen no matter what I do, including stopping the held sound, or even changing modes, or loading a new song. Everything functions in every mode, including SEQ mode....but I am stuck on track one until a reboot.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Yes, I considered that this is not really SST at all. The "sustain" is not the decay of notes or effects.....rather it is the actual playing of notes still held (which I guess is a part of the SST feature set). And I do understand the point you are making about not changing tracks whilst a sound is playing....except in this context....1. The sequencer is not playing! I have never experienced a hold on changing tracks while the sequencer is idle. 2. the sound that is playing is not coming from the sequencer....rather from the "held over" program, which as I understand is standard operation procedure for SST, including combis, programs, and sequences. As you point out...the real strange behavior is how the sequencer stays frozen no matter what I do, including stopping the held sound, or even changing modes, or loading a new song. Everything functions in every mode, including SEQ mode....but I am stuck on track one until a reboot.

I know that you're not playing anything from the sequencer running. But the idea has always been to freeze the track list selection whilst sounds are playing because that would change the active MIDI track which would cause dropped notes if you were playing. It doesn't make the distinction of where the notes played actually came from because it probably doesn't even keep a record of that. Its just a safeguard.
Obviously Korg hasn't worked SST into this particular situation as might be expected.

My point about set list mode too is that you can apparently select a Song and select the 'active track' for a slot in set list mode. This might be a valid workaround.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

understood..... 10 - 4. Thanks!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have discovered the source of the "bug". Its the foot pedal that I am using. It is a Yamaha PS 2010/2015 switchable pedal as seen here: http://www.kpsurplus.com/quik-lok-ps-2010-ps-2015-switchable-sustain-pedal.html

Although that link identifies it as a Quick Loc...that is an error, its a Yamaha. You can see in one of the pics on that link how the pedal has a switch, and the graphics it shows for the different switch positions.

Anyways, the pedal can be switched between momentary and latch modes. In momentary mode, that pedal works as expected, and there is no issue with freezing up my KRONOS sequencer. But when switched to latch mode....the sequencer is fine until the first time I step on the pedal in any KRONOS mode (prog, combi, seq). Then the Sequencer is frozen. Even if I press the pedal a second time to "release" the latch. Only if I actually move the "switch" on the pedal which changes it back to momentary mode......then the sequencer immediately un-freezes.

I tried playing around with different settings of the pedal switch and the KRONOS foot switch polarity setting....no success or difference. If my pedal is in latch mode...the sequencer freezes until the pedal is either unplugged, or switched back to momentary.

So....any ideas here? I was LOVING the idea of using a latch pedal with CC-66 as discovered in this thread. But, alas, it freezes the KRONOS sequencer. Does anyone have any other brand of latching pedal that can perhaps try this to see if they get the same results. I would be happy to purchase a new pedal, if it works without issue, for this purpose.

Thanks!
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you write you have a Boss FS-6? Have you tried it with your Kronos?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAD an FS6, but it was battery powered only, so I dumped it.

My error for typing HAVE in a prior post.....apologize.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all these nifty ways to achieve drones applicable to the M3 as well?

Thanks,
Randy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: