Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Midi questions on KRONOS......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Two Midi questions on KRONOS...... Reply with quote

1. In Seq mode, you can assign each track to send midi data either Internally or Externally or both. Great.

Can same be done in PROGRAM mode? While in program mode, I don't want to send midi data externally...however, while in Seq mode I do, depending on the midi channel/track. How can I adjust this Int/Ext/Bth parameter in Program mode?

2. Is there a way to "lock" the tempo of the KRONOS so that it stays at the same tempo (a global tempo) as I switch between programs and combis, and does not jump to the tempo that was saved with the patch?

The only way I can figure to do this is to Slave the KRONOS to an external clock. But thats not what I want. Obviously in Seq mode all is good....but its not as functional as I desire. I need it in combi and program mode! Here is my situation:

I use the KRONOS as a master clock for my entire set up. Multiple external devices are synced to the KRONOS. Now....I want to be in program mode (where each programs effects are established and ready to play) and switch between programs while keeping everything in sync. As it is by default.....I can get a great groove going, using a program or combi, then add some external sounds (external drum machine, external synths, external loopers)....but if I want to switch to a new combi or program to add some flavor, then everything jumps to the preset tempo of that combi or program, and the groove is ruined. Sure, I could go in and edit all of these combis and programs to my desired tempo..but really? There's thousands of them, and sometimes I like to play the K solo, and use the programmed default tempos. As I say, I know if I put the K in external sync mode (Global/Midi) then it will follow the inbound clock....but that has other drawbacks, so its not my preferred setup.

Is there anyway to globally lock the tempo for the unit while I browse the programs and combis?

Thanks for any advice!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump, for posterity. I am hoping anyone might have some insight on these questions.

Let me rephrase......

1. In program mode can you turn off external midi output of notes the same way you can in Seq mode? (int/ext/both parameter)

2. In program mode, is there any way, other than using an external clock source, to have the KRONOS follow a global tempo, internally? ie: set it to 90 bpm, so that all programs play at 90 bpm, without having to "save" a new tempo to each program?

I'm scouring the manual but not finding these....which may be because the answer is NO to each....but I just want to be sure.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No, although changing the Global MIDI channel temporarily might help you out.

2. No again. I'd certainly love to have the ability to "lock" the tempo. After starting a project, I'm often looking for drum/Karma patterns at a known tempo, before I start working with my DAW. This would be a very helpful feature.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply,

This is what I thought/feared. On both counts it seems these are obvious functions and features that would be fundamental in using the KRONOS as a master keyboard controller or central DAW in a studio set up. Considering how the KRONOS has the External Set-ups, which indicates that KORG considered and intended the K to be used as a master controller in a studio environment....how could they NOT have a clear way to defeat external midi in Program mode? Consider....you are in Seq mode using your external gear.....playing from a seq track which you have set up to send midi to "Ext". Then you switch to Prog mode so you can demo/select some programs to use with your project.....but you hear BOTH the K and the external gear....because you cannot defeat the external midi in that mode. And then.....even with this problem, while you are demoing and selecting programs to use in your project.....the tempo is jumping all over the place with each program you select. Considering the K is the MASTER in this case (both master controller and master tempo source), its VERY dis-functional. Sure there are some awkward work-arounds for each...but just two simple settings in the OS and the K would be the perfect master keyboard. As it is.....it fails on the basics here, IMO. Unfortunate.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: