Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An apology, and a disclosure
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: An apology, and a disclosure Reply with quote

In the past several days, I have made some technical criticisms of the KRONOS that I personally believe are valid. Along the way, I've gotten over-excited at a couple of points, and I've managed to say some stupid things. Dan Philips has expressed annoyance privately, and Neroesque has expressed it more strongly here on the forum. Both are right to have done so, and I thank them.

So I want to apologize, and attempt to explain. In order to do that, a disclosure is necessary: I am part of a small group that is seriously looking at buildiing a next-generation synth. If we decide to go forward, we can probably raise the money to do it. Whether we can bring together the expertise remains to be seen. If we proceed, our credibility will be judged by the market a few years down the road. So there is the disclosure part.

First, to set the record straight, what do I think of the KRONOS today, as it exists and as I've used it? And what do I think of the KRONOS engineers? The KRONOS is remarkable, and the accomplishment that it represents as an engineering result is astounding. It is especially astounding when you take the pricing and currency constraints into account: to meet a $3700 USD target at today's currency rates at any reasonable margin, the KRONOS build has to be a lot cheaper than any previous workstation. And the KRONOS engineers met that challenge, and then they went ahead and pretty much kicked the ass of the workstation competition for the next three years. I have tried to say that consistently on these forums, but I have not always succeeded. Since some people feel that I have been disrespectful to the Korg team in Japan, I wanted to say it again, all in one place.

So if I feel this positive about the product and the team that built it, how did I manage to get so carried away that I said such unfair things - up to, and including, challenging Korg's forward-looking vision. Strangely enough, it came out of sympathy for the overwhelming pain that I believe Korg (along with Yamaha, Roland, and Kurzweil) will have to overcome in the next few years because of their success.

You see, Korg didn't just change the game. They changed the landscape. Setting aside products that are already in the design pipeline, it seems to me that the era of custom hardware synthesis is now definitively over. In the same way that IBM created the PC standard by building a low cost device from commodity parts, so has Korg. It is utterly brilliant, and it took an incredibly sustained vision, and I am deeply ashamed that of all the words I might have chosen to express my fears about the future, I chose "vision". That was an act of incredible disrespect, and I apologize to everyone at Korg.

So why do I think that Korg is about to face such great pain?

In brief, the competitors now have to match Korg's build costs, and the only real way to do that is by shifting to commodity hardware coupled with software-implemented synthesis. So they will. Which means that Korg has just launched a global race for a standardized synthesizer/workstation platform.

Of course, IBM didn't win that race. In fact, none of the incumbent computer companies won that race, because they were unable to make the transition to what (then) were called "open systems" (meaning third-party extensible at many layers; unrelated to what we call "open source" today).

Bill Gates and a young, innovative company called Compaq did that.

The migration from a proprietary world-view to an open standard world-view is infinitely harder than the migration from proprietary hardware to commodity hardware inside a closed device. I lived through it, at close hand, in the software industry. It hurt us. A lot. And it is now going to hurt Korg and the others. It is going to challenge many things that Korg (and Yamaha, and Roland) now perceive as their cherished core advantages, and it is going to turn some of those things into liabilities. Just as it did in the PC world.

And so I believe that Korg's next great "vision" challenge is to stay ahead of the tsunami that the KRONOS has just unleashed (I am sorry; I realize that this is a very painful metaphor right now). Perhaps Tsutomu-san had even greater vision than I already imagine, and Korg has anticipated and planned for this change successfully, and Seiki-san will be able to guide and complete that transform. In my experience, if any group of people in the world can achieve such a thing by overwhelming discipline, hard work, and foresight it is the Japanese. No other organization in history has ever accomplished such a thing, and I wish Korg great luck in the attempt.

For those at Korg, I hope, at least, that the thoughts and concerns behind my ill-chosen words now make a small shadow of sense, even if you do not agree. And I hope that you will accept my apology for those badly chosen words.

I know that many on this forum will feel compelled to challenge my assumptions or my beliefs in defense of Korg, and particularly my view that standardization is now inevitable. I wish to leave this to stand as an apology, and I do not plan to engage in those discussions in this thread.

Jonathan S. Shapiro
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: An apology, and a disclosure Reply with quote

shap wrote:
tsunami

And there you go again...

English is not my native tongue, but I can think of at least five similar words that would work in context.
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: An apology, and a disclosure Reply with quote

shap wrote:
I want to apologize, and attempt to explain. In order to do that, a disclosure is necessary: I am part of a small group that is seriously looking at buildiing a next-generation synth. If we decide to go forward, we can probably raise the money to do it. Whether we can bring together the expertise remains to be seen. If we proceed, our credibility will be judged by the market a few years down the road. So there is the disclosure part.

Well, this explains a few things. Wink

Quote:
So why do I think that Korg is about to face such great pain?

In brief, the competitors now have to match Korg's build costs, and the only real way to do that is by shifting to commodity hardware coupled with software-implemented synthesis. So they will. Which means that Korg has just launched a global race for a standardized synthesizer/workstation platform.

I know you PC DAW guys keep saying that, and each year, a few predict that the proprietary synth workstation has seen its last year. It doesn't seem to be happening.

Maybe we're slow. Maybe the music computer route isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Maybe your side just hasn't found the magic goody that grabs everyone's attention. Whatever the case, this isn't a new idea by far. Muse Receptor, nEko/StudioBlade, Groove X, those toys have been out there for years. So have soft synths, plugins and DAWs. The computer side has its devotees and advocates, the VSTi players too.

And the Big Three Plus One keep rolling out the hardware each year which has most musician's attention, along with a few analog guys who keep things interesting. Roland saw this coming, and produced the Jupiter-80, not a good Lionstracs-like host keyboard which could run Roland software synths alongside the best of what's available on the open softie market.

Hey, maybe this will happen, and the synth guys will turn to producing a range of universal keyboard controllers with a common range of computer architectures inside, with either high capacity hard drives and SSDs, maybe both, and converters made by Kurzweil, Presonus, Apogee or whoever. Maybe we'll FINALLY see someone produce a polypressure keyboard.

I think this kind of thing is some years off. Heck, these manufacturers can't even get off their butts and agree on a MIDI 2.0 for us. I see the synth cold war continuing for a while yet.

Maybe you can give the synth market a nudge, to borrow a line from that idiot Cass Sunstein. But I have to think that trying to climb to the top of a pretty big heap is going to be a titanic fight, with Music Computing struggling to even be noticed, and Lionstracs on top of them, when the Muse Receptor is doing the best it can, and not all that well. I think your only solution is to go cheap, and that's a treacherous path, but any route in this market is fraught with danger because we musicians are a fickle bunch. We like tried and true formulas which work, and this is why the ITB solution is only working sort of well for the studio right now. Frankly, I think the best thing is to see if you can merge with someone like Music Computing and see if you can make them super desirable, because most of us just aren't caught up in the whole VSTi thing. I guess we'll see what happens if you keep us posted.

But good luck. Wink

By the way. For the record, I think Bill Gates is a crook and needs to be hung from something for a good long time.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: An apology, and a disclosure Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
By the way. For the record, I think Bill Gates is a crook and needs to be hung from something for a good long time.

But certainly not a bigger crook than Steve f*ck*ng Jobs.

shap wrote:
So I want to apologize, and attempt to explain. In order to do that, a disclosure is necessary: I am part of a small group that is seriously looking at buildiing a next-generation synth. If we decide to go forward, we can probably raise the money to do it.

Tell me more about this, please. PM. Wink Thanks!
BergerS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm very wrong here, but I think many workstation buyers are amateurs musicians who want to make nice music in the most simple and intuitive way. for these people, a hardware workstation is a very good solution.

This crowed is not necessarily looking for the best sound in every class to get the best sounding production - for this, there are special plug-ins which probably will get you the best sound in each category.

Problem is, these plug-ins need to be collected and embedded in what ever computerized DAW which is already a hassle to manage and maintain.

I work with computers every day, and the last thing I want when I make music is to face another one.
I know this approach might be outdated and I might be just fighting inevitable progress, but I think there are a few more guys like me, lots of guys in fact, which make the whole workstation segment a valid business for these big companies.

Maybe Kronos is the last workstation, in this case the company who started this whole thing with the M1, will be the one to turn out the light on this category, I call it a very nice closure!
bulusglo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The presence of such a subject in a Kronos forum reinforces my view that Korg did a GREAT thing by releasing this synth.

Korg has won a place of choice in the (future) Music Standard Consortium.
The MSC could publish standards for MIDI 2.0 which still stands for Musical Instruments Digital Interface and can encompass standards for what is called today VST/AU/Rewire and others.

This subject is more about humans and business than technical.

Such a consortium would take peoples from Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Clavia and a few software companies to work together on a common project. Maybe that will occurs when they all feel the need for it (how many workstation sold this year ? is it a market to keep ?).
Mystic38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vision of an open standard and platform is not a vision. It is hindsight as you have just described the PC/VST environment.... Which of course was the end of electronics instruments.

But it wasn't

So the someone invented "music computing" and made The PC/VST environment cooler, but far more expensive...and THAT was the end of electronic instruments

but it wasn't

The exercise of repackaging a computer, VST, control surface and audio interface and calling it a music computer is the pursuit of technology for it's own end. It is more expensive and offers less than a consumer can do himself... There is no innovation or added value added in this approach....it becomes not the best of both worlds (instrument or PC), but the worst.

In the rush to get carried away by technology, many people are simply missing the point.. Music is about emotion.... It requires emotion, it needs to create emotion... You need to feel. .. And interact... For that to happen...you need an instrument ..
Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
BergerS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulusglo wrote:
Hello,

Such a consortium would take peoples from Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Clavia and a few software companies to work together on a common project. Maybe that will occurs when they all feel the need for it (how many workstation sold this year ? is it a market to keep ?).

I think Roland get of the Workstation wagon after having bad experience with the Fantom G (at least that's what I hear in the forums) and judging by the latest Jupiter 80 which is a performance oriented keyborad.

With Clavia, I think they didn't support the workstations idea in the 1st place. and decided to cater to performance oriented musicians from the beginning.

Its up to Yamaha Korg and hopefully Kurzweil, to continue with the Workstation competition, or to decide to choose other battles.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we missed something? Shocked

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rocness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: An apology, and a disclosure Reply with quote

shap wrote:
In the past several days, I have made some technical criticisms of the KRONOS that I personally believe are valid. Along the way, I've gotten over-excited at a couple of points, and I've managed to say some stupid things. Dan Philips has expressed annoyance privately, and Neroesque has expressed it more strongly here on the forum. Both are right to have done so, and I thank them.

Dude , you just joined the forum in April of this year , why are you already apologizing to the powers that be . Ohhhhhh I know what happened , you must have went against the grain . Ok , sorry , someone should have told you . Never go against the grain and never say Open Architecture SYnthesis Studio here or you will be locked away forever like this guy ......
Silenced
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62367
bulusglo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question stands for live keyboard as well.

I saw Mickael Miro (he is in the charts in France) on tv last week, his band was playing live, with 2 keyboardists, both equiped with a macbook layed on a 88 keys Numa Nano keyboard. The style of music played was rock / jazz.

I doubt for myself that this could be an easy setup for Live, I would prefer a Kronos, but I think those pro musicians can consider they have instruments.

If Korg was not releasing the Kronos, I would not buy a synth keyboard today.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: An apology, and a disclosure Reply with quote

shap wrote:

Of course, IBM didn't win that race. In fact, none of the incumbent computer companies won that race, because they were unable to make the transition to what (then) were called "open systems" (meaning third-party extensible at many layers; unrelated to what we call "open source" today).

Bill Gates and a young, innovative company called Compaq did that.

IBM's failure was not due to the use of commodity hardware; it was due to the lack of proprietary software. Not only didn't they develop their own software, they even allowed BG to sell MS-DOS to all comers. There ended up being zero you could do on an IBM machine that you couldn't do on a competitor's machine.

Compaq could run Lotus 1-2-3. No one is going to come out with a Kronos clone into which you can load Korg's 9 engines. In this respect, Korg is more like Apple than IBM... it's about (a) proprietary software and (b) elegant design. This is much harder to copy than the idea of using commodity hardware.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This forum is not affiliated with Korg. Why do Korg employee want to influence a person's view about a product in this forum? I would totally understand if the same thing had happened at Korg's official forum.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the op, like everyone is entitled to his views..but I dont know if you read the thread in question..however the OP was going on a bit Smile.... in excessive, repetitive and irrelevant length...the comments were beyond a personal opinion and discussion of the product

i give him credit for the apology.

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:

This forum is not affiliated with Korg. Why do Korg employee want to influence a person's view about a product in this forum? I would totally understand if the same thing had happened at Korg's official forum.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
bulusglo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the analogy made by Sharp and the software aspect noticed by Scott.
Is it true that Korg Kronos Operating System is based on an Linux Kernel ?
This is stated here in wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korg_Kronos

I wonder how much common software there is between Kronos and music oriented Linux distributions (http://www.linux-sound.org/distro.html). I won't be surprised to learn that Korg participated to some open source project.

At the end of the day, synthesizers have always been computers with processors, OS and softs, the processor having more or less hard coded routines. Korg has taken a nice technical decision by coming to linux. They could switch to a computer based platform easier than Yamaha or Roland today. (This is not new at Korg - VST Legacy suite, OASYS ..., I do like Korg's strategic choices as far I can see).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: