Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitors or Amplifier for Your Kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vin52ny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Monitors or Amplifier for Your Kronos Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I just wanted to get some thoughts on what everyone is using for the Kronos. I was using a pair of Edirol M15D monitors with my Motif XF7 (Which by the way I had to sell so I could get a Kronos - 88 Still Waiting !!) Anyway, they have a 4.5 in. woofer and there were times when I thought they were going to explode. So, I'm trying to figure out what would be a good choice for the Kronos - I'm thinking monitors with at least an 8 inch woofer - What are you folks using.. I should mention - I will mainly be using the Kronos in my home studio, I will probably never take this out of the house. Thanks for the thoughts in advance.. Laughing

Last edited by vin52ny on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your specific need, taste and the room size. I'm using a pair of Genelec 8030. A good alternative would be Dynaudio BM5A / 6A.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a pair of KRK Rokit Powered 8 Generation 2 monitors. They sound really wonderful and cost about a third of the Genelec's that Kron is using (should be able to get the pair for a good bit under $500). So if you are more budget-minded, you may want to consider them as well.
LyonsT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself some KRK Rokit 6 Gen 2s in Limited Edition White, I haven't yet heard the Kronos through them only sound demos of it which sounded great! Smile
Borsini Piano Accordion
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever monitors you get make sure they it has a 30 day return.

The last time I tried to upgrade from the 6" monitors in my bedroom studio to 8", the bass was so overwhelming that I took them back. I could have made them work, but with a fair amount of room treatment, like bass traps.

That's the reason why a lot of people get near-field monitors: with them setup at least 3 feet from your listening postion, they ideally located for good stereo sound, and you're less likely to overly excite the room, esp. if you're using smaller rather than larger near-fields.

That said, if you're doing critical mixdowns using these studio monitors, it's worthwhile doing room treatment. There are a lot of how-to's on the net, and even bass traps don't have to be super expensive if you build them yourself.

Randy
Dave Ferris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted this over in the SV-1 forum where someone was looking for studio monitors. I would think it would apply for the Kronos too.

You didn't mention your budget which obviously plays a big part of the quality factor. But at this past NAMM, Yamaha had all their CP DPs (CP50, 5 & 1) , S90Xs, Tyros and Motif XFs each plugged into a pair of these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS80M/

Having owned the CP5 for about 6 months at that time, I was pretty familiar with its sound. So I thought these monitors where an excellent representation of its sonic capabilities.

Personally I own the Dynaudio BM6A MkIIs and while they are very good, I think the Yamahas are their equal or maybe a tad superior for less $$$---at least for playing a keyboard through. I've owned two SV-1s and they both sounded very good going direct through the Dyns so I would definitely recommend the Yamahas.

Good luck with it....

2005 NY Steinway D
franzlp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend the British made Wharfedale Diamond Studio 8.2 ProActive. I use these on the Oasys and the sound is pure, uncolored, and powerful.
mjames4208

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use Event ASP8s & Krk ROKIT 5s with ROKIT 10 subwoofer...

selling to purchase the JBL LSR4328P monitors and the LSR4312P sub
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Dynaudio speakers. Great tweeters. I had the 5As which were great but bit too limited in volume for my needs. I'm using Mackie HR824 MKIIs now, which have been great, especially if you aren't using a sub in your system. They handle the low end really well and are very transparent. They run $1100 to $1200 for a pair.
oopfoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos is my primary controller, so it's sitting at my desk, which has a pair of Focal Twin 6 Be and some Auratones on the riser. I HAVE plugged it into my Roland KC550 (15" woofer, among other things), which will blow your MIND.
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjames4208 wrote:

I own the JBL LSR4328P's and I can vouch for their accuracy. The built in "Room Mode Correction" feature is fantastic, and goes a long way to compensate for listening area deficiencies.

You may want to hold off on the subwoofer until you give the monitors a listen. They go pretty deep, and unless you're mixing house or hip-hop, it may be overkill.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really a matter of taste over dollars. I have friends who do mixing who love the low-priced Samsons. I myself use Genelec 1031s. I chose Genelecs because the tweeters in most speakers give me ear fatigue (I seem to be sensitive to certain high frequencies) You gotta try speakers for yourself and find the ones you like. Who cares what everyone else has.
mjames4208

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
mjames4208 wrote:

I own the JBL LSR4328P's and I can vouch for their accuracy. The built in "Room Mode Correction" feature is fantastic, and goes a long way to compensate for listening area deficiencies.

You may want to hold off on the subwoofer until you give the monitors a listen. They go pretty deep, and unless you're mixing house or hip-hop, it may be overkill.

i'll take that advise under advicement...
NeKo LX5, Liquid Saffire 56, Motif XS8, Kronos61, A-70, Motif-Rack, FantomXR, MPC5000, R8mkii, Komplete5/6/7/8, Trilian, Total Workstation 2, EWQL Complete Composers Collection, Arturia Mini Moog V, CS-80V, ARP2600V, Jupiter-8V, Oberheim SEM-V, Analog Laboratory, Vienna Ensemble Pro, Yamaha Montage, Epic Orchestra, Flugelhorn, Sonar X2, FW-1884, MIDI Express 128, MPC Renaissance, MachFive3, Komplete 9 Ultimate, Korg Legacy Collection, Machfive 3, Jupiter-80, Moog Sub 37,
shap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second vote for the JBL LSR 4328Ps, or the 4326Ps, which are the smaller version. Haven't heard these on the K yet, but I have used the 4328Ps in my studio for a couple of years now. They're quite good, and the benefit of room correction can be dramatic.

I also use the ADAM A7's, which are good for diffferernt reasons, but do not do room correction.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
I also use the ADAM A7's, which are good for diffferernt reasons.

Willing to elaborate? I ask because I'm seriously considering an upgrade from my KRK RP5s (not bad for the money, actually) to a pair of Adam A7Xs. According to internet babble, they've improved on the original design with better low end and a less fatiguing tweeter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: