Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German Grand note too loud/bright
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: German Grand note too loud/bright Reply with quote

Hi everyone I have had my Kronos 61 for a couple of weeks now and it's amazing. I previously owned on Oasys (and the original Karma) and was sold when I heard the new piano sound. Problem is that the D5 note (the D one octave above middle C) is so bright/loud it distorts the ear on my unit. This is not an issue on the Japanese Grand or any other instrument. I have tried a different room, different monitors, a Roland KC 500--still that note jumps out. When the Kronos is played quietly you can't hear it, its when I crank up to say about half way up. I have been running the Kronos directly into the monitors and the amp. This one note is a real problem for me. I have tried changing the EQ, tried using a different (weighted) controller, no difference. Anyone experience the same thing or have any ideas? Could I have a defective sample recording?
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you get the same effect in headphones?

If not the frequency group could be highlighting an issue with the amp or speakers....

"Food for thought"......

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hear it in headphones--however the headphone output is quite low on my Kronos. I have to turn it all the way up to hear the piano close to my normal listening level and still not loud enough for my taste.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Gibbs wrote:
I have to turn it all the way up to hear the piano close to my normal listening level and still not loud enough for my taste.

Mental picture Laughing

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you provide a recording? direct digital or line out of the Keyboard?
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried measuring the audio out directly into a level meter? How about a different keyboard on the same amp and monitor setup?

Some possibilities:
1) Like Dan mentioned, some sort of preferential response in the amp or monitors for that note.
2) Acoustic resonance with some piece of equipment in your setup. It's not the room since you tried different locations...Definitely try again with lower impedance headphones (or use a headphone amp).
3) Your ears may be more sensitive to that note??? Try playing a piano or a different keyboard on a toally different amp/monoitor setup.
4) Something's wrong with your unit...the Kronos that is.
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions I will try all of those that I have not tried including posting a sample.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D5 might have been recorded that way.
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't hear it in headphones, that's a strong indication that the effect is being caused by your monitors, or standing waves in the room.

jg::
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried different rooms and speakers and get the same effect. As I mentioned the Kronos is direct to the monitors--even tried different cables. Same thing.
It might have been recorded that way, its true. Maybe my hearing is really sensitive to that note. I DO NOT hear that note that way on the Japanese Piano, do not hear it in my East West or Ivory, don't recall the issue with my Oasys, Roland, Motif etc.
It might be unapparent to others--and at lower volumes seems to not jump out.
Here is a link to the German Grand panned right and left, using the default settings to go from the sequencer to disk. I did notice that the left channel was way hotter than the right.
Feedback appreciated, if you hear it or don't hear it.

http://soundcloud.com/jeff-gibbs/kronos-piano-test-german-grand
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way you have to listen with the volume up to notice the issue. I can't hear anything wrong on my laptop; on Bose computer monitor speakers (just like my Event and Yamaha monitors) it jumps out at me.
DaveK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

I can't hear the D jumping out, but I don't doubt that you do and that it is, BUT it seems that you are listening to the German Grand and have recorded it in MONO, rather than stereo. I can tell this because:

1. There is no stereo reverb present - the reverb gets panned as you pan the piano sound.
2. The notes should move from left to right as the pitch increases. All stereo sampled pianos behave in this way.

This may explain why the D is jumping out - it could be a mono compatibility problem with the left and right samples for that one note - if the two samples are slightly out of phase with each other, there could be some false overtones being produced compared with the surrounding notes. If the D note does not jump out when listening in stereo, then this is the answer to the problem.

Best regards,

David Kear
franzlp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Just a side thought or rather question... you sold your Oasys? Man that is brave. They will have to bury me with mine.
Jeff Gibbs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm recorded in mono--I will check. I merely pressed the command to take the German Grand directly to the sequencer. Then I chose the BOUNCE ALL command from the drop down menu. Then I took the file via thumb drive to my laptop and uploaded to sound cloud. I did pan completely left, then right. So that seems like it would mean it was in stereo?

Yes sold the Oasys. I trusted that Korg would make the Kronos another level better and they have exceeded my expectations. The old samples sound as good or better to my ears as on the Kronos, and any new samples are waaaay better starting with the drums, the acoustic bass, and the pianos of course. The Kronos articulations of the flutes, other solo instruments like violin are stunning especially for a workstation.

Just to have very usable and recording quality piano, b3, and electric pianos at my fingertips is worth the price to me, and those are all better on the Kronos. I have never found a software based B3 or EP that comes close to Oasys or now the Kronos.
LyonsT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Hammond B3' on the Kronos In my opinion, is just terrible, well mybe thats unfair it's passible in a mix. Not for me though hence shelling out even more for the real Hammond sound. Cool
Borsini Piano Accordion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: