Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Drum Kits versus Fantom G Rhythm Sets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Kronos Drum Kits versus Fantom G Rhythm Sets Reply with quote

Kronos Drum Kits:
1. 8 sample slots per key; each slot can contain 1 mono or 1 stereo sample
2. Slots can be velocity switched; only two slots can share the same velocity range
3. Each slots has its own attack, decay, transpose, tune, drive, low boost, filter cutoff, filter res, EQ, reverse
4. Each key has its own panning

Notes: In order to edit a setting for each key, you have to Press Enter + Key. I find this a little cumbersome. It would be more efficient if I could just press a key and change its settings. At first glance, being able to assign 8 samples to one key is impressive; but since only two can share the same velocity range is disappointing. The one thing I really like is that when assigning a sample, the Kronos opens up a large menu where you can quickly locate a specific sample.

Fantom G Rhythm Sets:
1. 4 sample slots per key; each slot can contain 2 mono or 1 stereo sample
2. Each slot can be velocity switched; all 4 slots can share the same velocity range
3. Each slot has its own tune, level, pan, envelopes (pitch, filter and amp), mute group, etc
4. Each key has its own pitch, filter, and amp envelope

Notes: I like all aspects of Rhythm sets programming minus one thing. There is no short-cut to locate a specific category of sounds. So I have to use the printed voice list and Fantom's numeric key to locate a specific sample type. The other alternative is to scroll through thousands of sounds.

OUTCOME: Kronos started off strong in the first round with its capacity for 8 velocity layers and the ability to select sounds per category. But Fantom G's speed and combination of extensive individual parameters per layer and per key was too much for Kronos to handle. Fantom G's Rhythm Set programming beat Kronos Drum Kits by TKO in the 4th round.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4. Each key has its own pitch, filter, and amp envelope

Since the JV series back in 1994 or so, Roland synths have had that feature.
nowtime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative words.

But which SOUNDS better? Fantom or Kronos?
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowtime wrote:
Thanks for the informative words.

But which SOUNDS better? Fantom or Kronos?

Subjective. I have no opinion either way. I have both keyboards set up next to each other and doing a comparison of features I use most often: sampling, sample editing, sequencing, and program creation.
rwp42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I spend twenty minutes scratching my head every time I just want to play a basic drum pattern on the Fantom-G. I don't know why it is so complicated, and I don't know why it doesn't stick in my brain, but there I am, playing an electric piano patch, and I think to myself: "this would be fun with some drums." And then I spend twenty minutes poking randomly around trying to refigure it out.

I press one button for the same thing on the Kronos. Every program has an associated drum part (many of which were played by real drummers, and are much longer than just a four-bar pattern). I press "Drum Track" and start playing. And don't even get me started about the options when you turn on KARMA...

So does the Fantom allow for more complicated drum pattern creation? Possibly -- the answer is more complicated than just specs. But the simplicity of the K's implementation is genuinely more useful to me.

RwP
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwp42 wrote:
I have to say that I spend twenty minutes scratching my head every time I just want to play a basic drum pattern on the Fantom-G. I don't know why it is so complicated, and I don't know why it doesn't stick in my brain, but there I am, playing an electric piano patch, and I think to myself: "this would be fun with some drums." And then I spend twenty minutes poking randomly around trying to refigure it out.

So does the Fantom allow for more complicated drum pattern creation? Possibly -- the answer is more complicated than just specs. But the simplicity of the K's implementation is genuinely more useful to me.

RwP

Create your own drum phrases in the sequencer(phrase edit)(or use some of the onboard ones) and then assign those to a set of pads in the Rhythm pattern mode and you can trigger any of those drum phrases in any mode from the pads to play along with any sound you want...easy
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for what sounds better......

the Fantom G has some great drumkits,and some of the acoustic kits are superb,but from using the Oasys the sounds are far superior in quality,and you can get better layering possibilities without having to sample stuff first,many of the Fantom sounds are good,but a bit cliched,but as far as the fantom g goes all over,its a very intuitive workstation,both from a user friendly environment to a live playing tool as well,the sequencer even with its pitfalls and lack of some basic editing tools knock spots off the Oasys and Kronos,can't understand why some deemed the FG as a failure...its how workstations should be heading in terms of sequencing and recording...I adore it
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwp42 wrote:

I press one button for the same thing on the Kronos. Every program has an associated drum part (many of which were played by real drummers, and are much longer than just a four-bar pattern). I press "Drum Track" and start playing. And don't even get me started about the options when you turn on KARMA...

RwP

Never had that specific problem with the Fantom G. Even my teenagers figured it out without my help. The Fantom G's Studio Mode is nearly identical to Kronos MIDI/Prgm Mixer view. The Fantom G shows all 16 MIDI channels and you assign either a Patch, Drum Kit, or Sample Set to each track...the same as Kronos. The you press the RECORD button to start recording the selected MIDI channel as MIDI or AUDIO. Pressing the RECORD button brings up a window where you can have all the essential recording tools at your finger tips. These same functions are buried in menus within the Kronos.

Both of the keyboards accomplish nearly the same thing. But the Fantom G's GUI is more visually appealing. With expansion boards installed, you can have 48 internal MIDI channels at your disposal. Kronos has 9 Synth engines, yet we are limited to 16 MIDI channels and 16 MIDI tracks. This is a tad bit wasteful in my opinion. Don't get me started talking about the sequence editing. Both the M3 and Fantom G has a better sequence editor than Kronos.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I worked on a UK 2-part mini-drama titles 'Kitchen' as the sound programmer for the composer of the job (Derek Gleeson). We used my OASYS on the job; and although Derek (a percussionist with LSO at one time) brought his own extensive sample libraries; fell in love with the drums and percussion and drum sounds on the OASYS. The score demanded a lot or drums and percussion.

What Derek liked was the actual sound and dynamics of a plethora of the OASYS sounds - their sheer quality - and response to playing, even on just the OASYS keys. They felt natural and right to a percussionist, and sounded just great to his ears! This has given me real confidence in the OASYS ever since. Apart from the actual samples and quality Korg produced (and Roland are no slouches in this department either for sure), the uncompressed nature of the samples on OASYS (and I presume KRONOS too), must be part of it.

I can't compare with Fantom, but just thought it was worth sharing the thoughts of the superlative use of OASYS drums and percussion on a job by a composer/percussionist.

Kevin
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
Several years ago I worked on a UK 2-part mini-drama titles 'Kitchen' as the sound programmer for the composer of the job (Derek Gleeson). We used my OASYS on the job; and although Derek (a percussionist with LSO at one time) brought his own extensive sample libraries; fell in love with the drums and percussion and drum sounds on the OASYS. The score demanded a lot or drums and percussion.

What Derek liked was the actual sound and dynamics of a plethora of the OASYS sounds - their sheer quality - and response to playing, even on just the OASYS keys. They felt natural and right to a percussionist, and sounded just great to his ears! This has given me real confidence in the OASYS ever since. Apart from the actual samples and quality Korg produced (and Roland are no slouches in this department either for sure), the uncompressed nature of the samples on OASYS (and I presume KRONOS too), must be part of it.

I can't compare with Fantom, but just thought it was worth sharing the thoughts of the superlative use of OASYS drums and percussion on a job by a composer/percussionist.

Kevin

From what you wrote you are talking about the stock sounds of the keyboard. My original post talks about what you can do to the stock sounds and your own samples once they are in the keyboard specifically programming the synth.
sani

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos Drum Kits versus Fantom G Rhythm Sets Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:

Notes: In order to edit a setting for each key, you have to Press Enter + Key. I find this a little cumbersome. It would be more efficient if I could just press a key and change its settings.

You may like it or not, but at least Korg is consequent in the way how parameters are edited. Whenever you have to select a key, you have to press and hold Enter. On the Fantom G for example, when you set split zones in the Live Mode, you have to hold the Shift button (would be the same as on Korg keyboards with the Enter), but when you edit a patch and want to make splits there, suddenly you can't use the short way of holding Shift. Instead you have to dial the split points.

jahrome wrote:
At first glance, being able to assign 8 samples to one key is impressive; but since only two can share the same velocity range is disappointing.

Maybe I fail to see the point here, but is there a special reason why you would need more than two percussive samples to sound at the same time? I agree that the two oscillator system on Korg is a "little" dated, but I don't see it as a big flaw when editing drum sets.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
From what you wrote you are talking about the stock sounds of the keyboard. My original post talks about what you can do to the stock sounds and your own samples once they are in the keyboard specifically programming the synth.

Sound is important.

Also, the title of this thread you created is "K vs. G Drums", not "K vs. G Drum Programming".

I wonder if any Kronos owners will sell their Kronos and then buy a Fantom G? I suspect that number will be very small, probably ZERO.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
jahrome wrote:

Sound is important.

Also, the title of this thread you created is "K vs. G Drums", not "K vs. G Drum Programming".

I wonder if any Kronos owners will sell their Kronos and then buy a Fantom G? I suspect that number will be very small, probably ZERO.

I know what I wrote. The title of this thread is "Kronos Drum Kits versus Fantom G Rhythm Sets." Go back and re-read. I never mentioned anything about sound. It clearly talks about layering, filters, envelopes. etc. In case you are unaware, these are aspects of programming. Embarassed

I own the Kronos and the Fantom G. I am not trying to sell anyone on either keyboard (I would go with the Kronos if I was). But I wanted to create a thread to show how the synths compare when it comes to programming/sound designing drums. The Fantom G comes out on top. I have other threads planned which will compare are features. You may (or may not) like these as they show how Kronos comes out on top.
Mystic38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no attempt or interest on behalf of the OP to promote the FG... simply compare the features of a 3yo board to that of a new one....

logic would infer that a new design should be across the board better in every way... and the Kronos isnt.. and playing at ostriches will not ever make the Kronos better..

Progress is only made in workstations, or any other competitive market when people look at competing products to identify, highlight and adopt or enhance upon the features that make the competing products appealing...

So these comparisons, whether it be UI, build quality, controller flexibility, midi track count, sequencer expectations or yes, even drum programming.. these are needed for Korg to get a clear list of where the bar is set for each item..

MartinHines wrote:

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic I'm with you on this....

Thank goodness Sharp is tolerant to what people talk about....Can people not mention the word Roland or any non Korg Keyboard without someone getting defensive!!!!,I'm convinced there are certain people in here who talk as if they own the Korg corporation or something and need to stop looking through Korg rose tinted spectacles with a "Korg till I die attitude" and see how poor the sequencers are I doubt anyone would drop a K or an O for a Fantom G in terms of sound manipulation,but there are other reasons why someone would purchase it,like myself to run alongside Korg equipment as there are certain things the K or O are not able to do that the Fantom Does and most of this arises within the Sequencing aspect,and also the fact you can edit sounds including Drum or rhythm patches without having to keep changing modes like you do in the korgs

The Fantom doesn't have a Patch(pardon the pun) on Oasys or Kronos for sounds sources,but it wipes the floor with both of them for sequencing and the way it allows you record in a more logical and methodical way and access parameters in other modes without keep flicking between pages or modes,why do Korg think its ok to stick such a lame sequencer in these luxury machines that hasn't really been updated since the 90s,even great things they added like Cue list in the Triton was dropped!!!and its still only 16 tracks which your still having to sacrifice beween internal and external sources if you want to run outboard gear alongside!There will be many Kronos owners happy to jog alongside there sequencer but suspect the vast majority won't be using it as a rock for sequencing on it only,or most won't even bother with it at all favouring Software to each his own,Its just become tiresome to see the same sequencer operating environment again and again,just exactly what is Korgs idea of progress in a workstation,simply to cram as much synthesis as you can inside.Well thats fine if you intend to ditch everything you own for one machine.

I've used Korg sequencers since 89 and been a brand loyal punter since so don't say this without any conviction or long time experience,some people need to just accept that the Korg philosophy on sequencing is outdated and nothing but basic sequencing abilities,that is not the be all and end all of what a workstation environment should be,and the competition out there is addressing these things even if they don't carry the same heavyweight synthesis options...

we had this discussion over and over when the Oasys came out,and Korg are perhaps more than aware of this but have yet seen fit to do anything other than what the M3 had added in terms of editing options,but lets see what comes of Kronos and perhaps some updates??I wouldn't hold your breath for anything sequencer related that makes a massive difference to workflow

Even though some people are happy with Korg Sounds and engines it doesn't mean they should accept the sequencer they happily fill out the features inside it with,which when you try out other machines see that Korg really have a lot of changes to make to their sequencers more workflow friendly,and stop thinking that its ok to just simply Bolt the Trinitys 1990s sequencer on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: