Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchased (and walked out with) Kronos 88 Today!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwp42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Purchased (and walked out with) Kronos 88 Today! Reply with quote

I had preordered a K88 via Guitarcenter.com, taking advantage of their $500 off deal for 4th of July weekend. But since I am supposed to play a big party on the 3rd, and since GC didn't know when they'd be getting K88's (perhaps mid-July they said), and since I am really impatient, I decided to cancel my order and get a K61 locally.

The Hollywood GC had K61's in stock. So off I went.

They had a K61 out, and I poked at it for a minute. The action was REALLY nice. A sales person came up and asked if he could help me. I said that I was interested in the Kronos. He went to the computer to check inventory. He said "you want the 61, right?" I responded: "yeah, you guys don't have the 73 or 88..." He paused for a moment and said: "we have one 88 that just came in."

There was a moment of stunned silence as I let this news settle in my brain. "You HAVE an 88???" I asked incredulously. "Yes. Just the one."

Now having been a thorough lurker in these wonderful forums, I had been growing gradually concerned about 'key click', 'fan noise', 'cheap dials', and such. So I asked if I could play with it. He said "sure" and proceeded to get the K88 out, unbox it, grab an amp, cables, and stand, and set it up for me.

From the moment I touched the first key, I was in heaven. The fan was (relatively) silent. There was no unusual key click. The value dial was cheap lightweight plastic -- but I didn't care. It worked. I did notice a very slightly larger gap between some of the keys (apparently an artifact of the RH3 action), but it was not significant and did not affect my playing at all.

I have watched every video on Youtube, trolled several forums daily for weeks, and read every article I could find on the Kronos. And actually playing one was even better than I expected.

For reference, I am coming from a Fantom G-8. The G-8 clocks in at 77 pounds (the K88 is just over 50). I really like the 'faux ivory feel' of the G-8. I have not liked the action of previous Korg workstations like the Triton. I LOVE the K88 action. It is superb. When I got it home, I spent a solid hour just playing the German Grand Piano through headphones. It was magnificent.

So that's it for now -- chalk me up as one satisfied customer. I am SO glad that I bought the K88 -- playing those glorious pianos on a synth-action would have been a shame. Yes, I have to lug 20 more pounds and a physically larger keyboard around, but it is totally worth it.

RwP

PS: The only thing I lack at the moment (besides more time to play the K) is a snug-fitting soft case. All the options at GC are either too small, or so huge that the K88 rattles around in them. Any suggestions?
plisken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Kronos 61 Reply with quote

thank god you got the 88 key! Im getting the 61 key they have at the Hollywood branch. Its the last one they have in stock apparently. I cant wait to get my hands on this thing.

Like you I came from a Fantom G(6) but from the little playing I have done the Kronos it doesnt even compare. The Kronos is in a league of its own.

Cant wait!

oh and hi Very Happy my first post on this forum. Been on here though for a very long time.
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased (and walked out with) Kronos 88 Today! Reply with quote

rwp42 wrote:

For reference, I am coming from a Fantom G-8. The G-8 clocks in at 77 pounds (the K88 is just over 50)....

...So that's it for now -- chalk me up as one satisfied customer. I am SO glad that I bought the K88 -- playing those glorious pianos on a synth-action would have been a shame. Yes, I have to lug 20 more pounds and a physically larger keyboard around, but it is totally worth it.

RwP

Unless I am misunderstanding...you first said the G-8 is 77 lbs and the K88 50 lbs. Then you later said you have to lug around 20 more pounds? Confused
operaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant relative to the K61.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Purchased (and walked out with) Kronos 88 Today! Reply with quote

rwp42 wrote:
I had preordered a K88 via Guitarcenter.com, taking advantage of their $500 off deal for 4th of July weekend.

I responded: "yeah, you guys don't have the 73 or 88..." He paused for a moment and said: "we have one 88 that just came in."

There was a moment of stunned silence as I let this news settle in my brain. "You HAVE an 88???" I asked incredulously. "Yes. Just the one."

Were you able to use the printed 15% off GC coupon for your Kronos 88?

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at this case:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator-GKPE-88-TSA---88-Key-Keyboard-Case-with-Wheels-105914881-i1518581.gc#

It should be available this week and looks like it will hold a K88.

What do you guys think?

Chris
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
I'm looking at this case:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator-GKPE-88-TSA---88-Key-Keyboard-Case-with-Wheels-105914881-i1518581.gc#

It should be available this week and looks like it will hold a K88.

What do you guys think?

Chris

If you go to the Gator website, you can select a manufacturer and model. Gator does have the Kronos models listed, and they list five products that claim to work with a Kronos 88:
http://www.gatorcases.com/Default.aspx?Section=Search&Page=SearchResults&mode=manufacturer&manuid=Korg&Product=Kronos+88&length=57.28&width=16.18&height=5.71

Your GKPC-88-TSA appears to fit.

Note: The search really just pre-populates the LengthxWxHeight in their search engine, so you can use their search even without a specific keyboard listed.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchased (and walked out with) Kronos 88 Today! Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:

Were you able to use the printed 15% off GC coupon for your Kronos 88?

I walked in and used it. I didn't even bring a coupon. I just referred to the ad. They didn't have one in stock so they grabbed one from another store. It is arriving at my door on Tuesday.
rwp42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plisken - good luck with the 61 -- it had a terrific synth action. I wish I could afford both. Wink

jahrome - I was referring to choosing the 88 vs. the 61.

MartinHines - I didn't need a copy of the coupon. I just confirmed with the sales person that I would be receiving the July 4th promotion 15% off. Note that it caps at $500, so I got exactly $500 off the synth. I also looked at the GatorCases site. GC didn't have either of the two soft bags in stock so I couldn't try them out.

I picked up a Mackie 802-VLZ3 at the same time, and they gave me a deal on that as well. I figured it would be a useful accessory to the Kronos -- given that it does not have its own mic preamps (or XLR inputs). Nice and portable, flexible, and with good non-coloring sound.

RwP
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwp42 wrote:
plisken - good luck with the 61 -- it had a terrific synth action. I wish I could afford both. Wink

jahrome - I was referring to choosing the 88 vs. the 61.

Congrats on your purchase!
rwp42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jahrome! I couldn't be happier. We'll see if that lasts when I lug it to rehearsal tonight and to the gig on Sunday... Wink

The other accessory I have been thinking about getting is the PadKontrol. The K-88 with Mackie on the left side and PadKontrol on right would be sweet.

RwP
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 61 Reply with quote

plisken wrote:
thank god you got the 88 key! Im getting the 61 key they have at the Hollywood branch. Its the last one they have in stock apparently. I cant wait to get my hands on this thing.

Like you I came from a Fantom G(6) but from the little playing I have done the Kronos it doesnt even compare. The Kronos is in a league of its own.

Cant wait!

oh and hi Very Happy my first post on this forum. Been on here though for a very long time.

Oh haiiiiii plisken!!!!!!!!
Lets go eat HAWWWWWW

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
rwp42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina -

Great meeting you as well! As you saw, I was already sold on the Kronos, just had reservations about the issues I had read about on the forums. When I was able to touch it firsthand, it was a no-brainer.

I usually spend the first night with any new synth playing with all the gizmos and features. When I got the Kronos home, I spent the first night playing music. It was unbelievably inspiring. I didn't even move off the setlist for the first three hours. Fantastic.

RwP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: