Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Oasys owner goes to the music store and tries Kronos.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
I would be really happy if they created an iPad interface for the Kronos.

I'd be even happier if Korg elected to do the MIDI over wireless ethernet support and then leave it to the hundreds of creative iPad developers to figure out how to use it. Given a choice between putting energy into the iPad app and, say, supporting access to the SSD file system over the net, I'd definitely rather have the file system access.

The beauty of these particular items is that they can be done with existing, mature, well-test linux-based software [*]; it's just an integration issue. Though both would probably introduce memory overheads that we might not enjoy at the moment.

I think what I'm really suggesting here is that a modest amount of effort in the direction of connectivity would enable a flood of third-party applications without opening up anything proprietary - I think the flash FS is already exposed via USB, and everything we might want to do on the iPad (or laptop, or...) is already available over MIDI. The limitation right now is that this stuff is only available through "tethered" communication channels, which significantly constrains the richness of what applications can do.

[*] I'm assuming that there is some existing place where the current MIDI routing subsystem on the K can be reached from Linux. If all of the MIDI handling is being done "natively" on the microkernel it would be a considerably more complicated job.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazlover wrote:
Bosendorfer... sure they are nice but not only can they not emulate a Kronos, they have no editor software. Have you heard the guitars sounds on Bosendorfer? There are dreadfull. I never could read the screen. Don't even get me started!

Kronos hasn't got editor software either :p Laughing
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Rocness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
But I'm watching the iPad integration that is happening now with the Motif, and I'm thinking that updating the K to do MIDI over Wireless Ethernet over USB probably wouldn't be that hard if Korg decides it's a good place to put their energy. Given the sheer flexibility, I think that some effort in that direction (that is: just enough to let third parties build iPad apps for the K) might be really interesting, and I think it would put the display issue in a different light.

Bingo !

This is what every Kronos owner should be concerned with . I tried to tell people a long time ago about this but no one would listen and bam here it is starting to come back up aging .

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60305&highlight=motif+killed+kronos
Rocness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:

I'd be even happier if Korg elected to do the MIDI over wireless ethernet support and then leave it to the hundreds of creative iPad developers to figure out how to use it. Given a choice between putting energy into the iPad app and, say, supporting access to the SSD file system over the net, I'd definitely rather have the file system access.

Aging, very important issues your touching on that I tried to tell people in this forum about.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60305&highlight=motif+killed+kronos

The Motif XF and ipad integration is powerful don't sleep on it .

Just look already how powerful the ipad for Motif XF is with all the apps .

Motif is getting Karma 3 and it's going to be amazing ! Your going to be able to use Karma GE's with the thousands of the already great Motif ARP's integrated into KARAMA , now how cool is that . Wait a minute , why in the hell did the Kronos not get Karma 3 has anybody ever thought about that .

Well think about this . How are you going to feel when you start to see Motif XF users making great music using KARMA 3 and Ipad Apps .
It's going to make the Kronos look old and let's not even talk about the
Jupiter 80 Shhh

Wake up people ! The kronos is great but how in the hell are you supposed to intergreat that with the rest of your studio . If your giging with it ok great but what about studio work .

Yamaha gets it thats why they gave you a 16ch over firewire interface.

Access gets it thats why they gave you 16 ch over USB .

Hell even The Oasys gave you 8 indiviual outs and with another 8 ch over Adat on top of it and that came out like 7 years ago .
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:

Well think about this . How are you going to feel when you start to see Motif XF users making great music using KARMA 3 and Ipad Apps .
It's going to make the Kronos look old and let's not even talk about the
Jupiter 80 Shhh .

Actually, I'm not going to give a crap...
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm just not wiggling with angst either.

That's nice, that Yamaha is offloading stuff to the iPad and other software developers that they should have designed into the Motif to start with. And I know a few people are jealous of Yammy having access to KARMA 3.

Well, I haven't even found a musical use yet for KARMA 1. Wink But I appreciate the fact that it's integrated into the KORG workstations, not some outboard app that has to be worked in.

I'm also not wild about all those iPad apps. I know that there's an Israeli prog band that did a song with Jordan Rudess using iPads for the most part and a bunch of really cute softsynths, beatboxes, guitar strummer things and what-not. They made a really neat tune with it all.

And that's nice for them, makes a really clever YouTube vid, but I just don't care about all those cute dinky music apps out there, or most of the soft synths. Someone pointed out, "But there's an MS-20 in one."

Gee... where have I seen that before? Wink

I want vintage synth emulations, classic expensive recording console emulations, high end compressor and EQ emulations, stuff that's useful in a DAW. And I want a great DAW. It's nice that with Absynth, you can make cool bug noises. Well, I can already do that with just about everything I have.

Yamaha is trying to make the pretty-much-same-old Motif look attractive to the iPad and all-in-the-box crowd.

KORG is making a statement of what's possible in the affordable workstation market, giving you a raft of synth types you'd otherwise need a well endowed DAW or a used OASYS for.

I know you softsynth guys insist that your way is the way of the future, and to a point, I agree. But it still seems to be the future. A software developer is lucky to sell a few thousand units of a hit piece.

I'd also have to say that you OASYS owners seem to act like everyone has an OASYS, lives next door to someone with an OASYS that let's them at it anytime they want, or is otherwise intimately familiar with it. But we don't, and we don't, and we aren't for the most part. Kronos gives us an opportunity to do that.

Is it okay with you guys if we're wowed by it? Wink
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as this has now turned into an OASYS conversation, surely is should be moved to the correct forum?
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again it's about sound, whats next, disscusing the brand of screws they used to hold it together, none of these boards would survive a three story drop, and doesn't the kronos have more features than the oasys, or am i wrong, if thats the case, it would bug me as an oasys owner, getting more for two thirds less.

It's about sound.
TagPass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:

And that's nice for them, makes a really clever YouTube vid, but I just don't care about all those cute dinky music apps out there, or most of the soft synths. Someone pointed out, "But there's an MS-20 in one."

I'm an OASYS owner and still relatively new to the whole "making music on an iPad" thing. Not debating the merits of one over the other -- completely different paradigms. Nevertheless, don't be so quick to dismiss much of what's emerging right now as "cute dinky music apps". The industry is still in it's infancy, and yet, there are some powerful tools available right now... INCLUDING the iMS20, which, dare I say is superior (in capabilities if not sound quality) to the software version, the nintendo version (!), and the OASYS version, all of which I have. I am excited about the next generation of instruments that will come along as the industry grows.

That said, yamahas new series of midi tools for the iPad are very clever and extremely well done. I don't even own a yamaha hardware device, but I grabbed their Arp & Drum Pad midi controller, which is a steal at $3.99. It has a ton of ready-to-go arp patterns and variations... All the stuff from the MOTIF, I believe. I would love to see a similar app from Korg that would integrate into the karma functions for instance and give me some additional controller options. Ultimately, for me, cross-platform integration with all this stuff is both amazing and fun. And where else can you get a tenori-on for twenty bucks, or a fairlight for fifty?
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jemkeys25 wrote:
, it would bug me as an oasys owner, getting more for two thirds less.

Not really,because you Kronos owners will be in the same position in a few years time when the next workstation from Korg appears,its how technology progress has always been.

This years newest gadget will be next years trash and something else will have superceded it at a fraction of the cost with far more features

You'll be hard pressed to find an O owner who feels bugged by the apperance of Kronos,its the way the O was dropped not superceded

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
franzlp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you now have permission to be wow'd by the Kronos. One thing I would say though is that many if not most of your answers to the Kronos will likely be rehashed and/or answered in the OASYS forums. Us OASYS folks are not arrogant in any sense is just that we know that this history has already been played out. Have you not been paying attention? Very Happy I agree with someone who did earlier say that it is quite odd that the studio integration piece to this synth was not really developed as the following are absent and were included in the OASYS. We still welcome our Kronos brethren.

-No on board CD/RW drive.
-No physical pads
-No ADAT interface
-No balance MIC inputs
-No adjustable input screen
-No "real man's" joystick... Kronos" looks like the DW8000 joystick.
-No 8 individual analog outputs.
-No RH2 keybed. (personally think it's better than RH3 IMO)
-No 4 USB ports (every bit helps)
-No Karo libraries yet but they seem to be working on it.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
jemkeys25 wrote:
, it would bug me as an oasys owner, getting more for two thirds less.

Not really,because you Kronos owners will be in the same position in a few years time when the next workstation from Korg appears,its how technology progress has always been.

This years newest gadget will be next years trash and something else will have superceded it at a fraction of the cost with far more features

You'll be hard pressed to find an O owner who feels bugged by the apperance of Kronos,its the way the O was dropped not superceded

Yes, the way it was dropped and then when we were told 'there is no work on OASYS development from now on', and then for how long? 2 years? Korg works on developing the OASYS and then call it Kronos...

But Kronos in its own right is a fantastic machine, with a world-leading pedigree and I should hope that those who have not played an OASYS will be wowed by the Kronos, because it is by far the best option out there just now (IMO!) #megabiased
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cello wrote:
But Kronos in its own right is a fantastic machine, with a world-leading pedigree and I should hope that those who have not played an OASYS will be wowed by the Kronos, because it is by far the best option out there just now (IMO!) #megabiased

One comment that we can all agree on, I think (or would certainly like to think!)

Dan Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
Wait a minute , why in the hell did the Kronos not get Karma 3 has anybody ever thought about that .

Maybe because KARMA 3 isn't done yet?

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18010
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Rocness wrote:
Wait a minute , why in the hell did the Kronos not get Karma 3 has anybody ever thought about that .

Maybe because KARMA 3 isn't done yet?

That *is* a somewhat valid point. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: