Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple monitor/keyboard configuration - advice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Multiple monitor/keyboard configuration - advice? Reply with quote

I have two sets of monitors and multiple keyboards, and for various reasons I'm trying to do a PC-free setup just at the moment. Absent a PC, I don't really see how to do this without some form of standalone matrix mixer.

At the moment, my thought is to use a MOTU 828mk3 in the standalone mixer role, minimizing converter influence from the 828mk3 by bringing audio over from the keyboards using S/PDIF. I can then pre-configure and save standalone configurations on the 828mk3 (monitor A, monitor B, both). Is there a simpler way to accomplish this, or more importantly, a better way?

Related issue: I'd also like the option to run the JBL sub even when I'm using the non-JBL monitors. That seems to suggest that I might not want to route the JBL monitor cabling through the JBL subwoofer - instead driving the sub in parallel with the monitors and implementing the low-reject filtering for the monitors on the 828mk3 rather than the the sub. Sound about right, or am I missing something here?
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Very well thought out Reply with quote

Hi Shap,
It all sounds very well thought out.
Someone might be able to come up with a different way, but I doubt that it could be better.

Why are you taking the PC out? "Noise"
shap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Very well thought out Reply with quote

Hanon_CTS wrote:
Why are you taking the PC out? "Noise"

A couple of reasons. On is that I'm expecting to go through three devices (Motif XF, KRONOS, V-Synth GT) jointly with some other folks. The less intervening gear we have in the picture, the easier that will be. The other reason is about learning some new things and stepping out of current ruts.

I seem to work a bit differently from a lot of folks here. As a live performer, I'm a vocalist and acoustic guitar player. As a studio musician, I've been recording acoustic work on the one hand and doing some orchestral work on the other. After some early misfires trying to do orchestral stuff on the Motif ES and an augmented Fantom XR, I moved pretty firmly into the VST world for that stuff. So I have used my synth (until recently a Motif ES) primarily as a piano and as a controller. It's also a really great way to sit down and noodle with stuff. Short boot times, no sample load times, and so forth. For orchestral purposes - at least to my ears - the wind and brass patches on all of these synths sound pretty bad, but they're more than good enough to explore an idea quickly. And as an acoustic musician, creating new patches hasn't really been of much interest to me up to this point.

The end result is that I've never really stopped to explore my synth in its own right as a synth. And I think it's time to do that.

So part of this is a desire to sever myself strongly from my DAW for a little while and really make myself dig into these devices for their own sake. And it's been good for my son as well. It's a lot harder for my six year old to play if he has to fire up the computer, load Sonar, and so forth. Meanwhile, he's interested in figuring out how to get the sounds he hears on recordings out of the synth, which is helping drive me to learn.

The setup I have for recording purposes is a lot higher quality than the 828mk3, and in due course I'm sure I'll re-integrate everything. Hopefully, by the time I get to that, I'll have made myself some new ruts. Smile
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: