Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good news: got my K-88... bad news: aggregate audio unstable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BetaMark wrote:
MartinHines wrote:
We either have to switch audio devices in our DAW (like you described) or use the Kronos audio outputs (analog or S/PDIF).

How would S/PDIF help? Isn't that still digital?

Yes, but it is not an computer audio interface. With digital audio (like S/PDIF) you do have to ensure that you have the digital audio clock setup correctly (Word Clock), but the digital audio connection is through your audio interface.

For example, I have a MOTU 896mk3. I could connect the Kronos audio to it either through 2-4 analog 1/4" jacks, or an optical S/PDIF jack (provides 2-channel digital audio). In my DAW (on Windows), there is only one ASIO audio interface, my MOTU 896mk3.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
BetaMark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Yes, but it is not an computer audio interface. With digital audio (like S/PDIF) you do have to ensure that you have the digital audio clock setup correctly (Word Clock), but the digital audio connection is through your audio interface.

For example, I have a MOTU 896mk3. I could connect the Kronos audio to it either through 2-4 analog 1/4" jacks, or an optical S/PDIF jack (provides 2-channel digital audio). In my DAW (on Windows), there is only one ASIO audio interface, my MOTU 896mk3.

Understood. Too bad my Duet doesn't have this option.

I suppose I could look for an audio interface that includes S/PDIF; this would give me more routing options. Anything in particular that you'd recommend, preferably with a sweet-sounding mic preamp? I don't need something very elaborate channel-wise, since I only really need one channel in for recording vocals.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BetaMark wrote:
MartinHines wrote:

Understood. Too bad my Duet doesn't have this option.

I suppose I could look for an audio interface that includes S/PDIF; this would give me more routing options. Anything in particular that you'd recommend, preferably with a sweet-sounding mic preamp? I don't need something very elaborate channel-wise, since I only really need one channel in for recording vocals.

I was up against the exact situation. I didn't need a whole lot of inputs and the Duet would have been fine. I needed at least 4 simultaneously, or at least the s/pdif option which Duet didn't have.
I went with the Ensemble and very glad I did. The clarity of audio is absolutely beautiful and very obvious.

I moved from an 896, which was verrrry old. It also is a great piece of gear, but there are many to choose from that include a s/pdif connection.
(896, or the new 828) excellent bundles. You may not need the extra inputs, but good to have, because you just never know..
BetaMark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
I was up against the exact situation. I didn't need a whole lot of inputs and the Duet would have been fine. I needed at least 4 simultaneously, or at least the s/pdif option which Duet didn't have.
I went with the Ensemble and very glad I did. The clarity of audio is absolutely beautiful and very obvious.

I moved from an 896, which was verrrry old. It also is a great piece of gear, but there are many to choose from that include a s/pdif connection.
(896, or the new 828) excellent bundles. You may not need the extra inputs, but good to have, because you just never know..

Lou,

I think you've hit on the best solution for the both of us. Although you claim to have gotten the aggregate device to work, you could ditch that and instead take S/PDIF from the Kronos to your Ensemble and let it do the routing; then, just by choosing Ensemble as your input device in Logic, you'll have both the Ensemble and Kronos inputs available, and you'd still be entirely digital. It would be a bit cleaner (and supported) of a solution than the aggregate device.

I'm now seriously considering an Ensemble for myself. A bit pricy, but all of the Apogee stuff is drop-dead gorgeous, as well as some of the sweetest-sounding mic preamps around.
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the same format as the Duet, look at the RME Babyface. Great preamps and converters, 2 analog ins, digital inputs either S/Pdif or ADAT(so you could either plug the Kronos digital out or if you buy a ADAT 8-channel strip you could plug the 6 analog outs from the Kronos and have them as live inputs in Logic so you only commit to audio once all is perfect), MIDI In/OUT.

Blink
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BetaMark wrote:

I think you've hit on the best solution for the both of us. Although you claim to have gotten the aggregate device to work, you could ditch that and instead take S/PDIF from the Kronos to your Ensemble and let it do the routing; then, just by choosing Ensemble as your input device in Logic, you'll have both the Ensemble and Kronos inputs available, and you'd still be entirely digital. It would be a bit cleaner (and supported) of a solution than the aggregate device.

This is ultimately the best and most direct way to go, and avoiding any possibilities of aggregate aggravation! Smile

Quote:
I'm now seriously considering an Ensemble for myself. A bit pricy, but all of the Apogee stuff is drop-dead gorgeous, as well as some of the sweetest-sounding mic preamps around.

If you can do the pricey thing, I can't begin to explain what it has done for my vocal recording.
My mic is going into VoiceLive 2 and coaxial s/pdif to the Ensemble. So yes, using the optical for Kronos will give me an entire digital path. Nice!
Even analog ins are very nice with the onboard Pre s
BetaMark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
If you want the same format as the Duet, look at the RME Babyface. Great preamps and converters, 2 analog ins, digital inputs either S/Pdif or ADAT(so you could either plug the Kronos digital out or if you buy a ADAT 8-channel strip you could plug the 6 analog outs from the Kronos and have them as live inputs in Logic so you only commit to audio once all is perfect), MIDI In/OUT.

Blink

Hmmm...

well, I guess this is a possibility. I do like the form factor; my studio workstation is pretty cramped and not very conducive to a rack-mount piece. Still, Apogee is revered for their audio quality. How would the RME stack up in this regard?
blinkofanI
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're both in the same quality league. Just google for some review. I know that Sound On Sound did a review on it recently and they were amazed at the quality. I went for it instead of the Duet because of the midi and input/output expandability. But it's more expensive. And the USB2.0 driver is rock solid with very low latency. It frees my firewire port for my External HD.... And you can control its output with the keyboard keys on your Mac!!!

Blink
BetaMark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinkofanI wrote:
I think they're both in the same quality league. Just google for some review. I know that Sound On Sound did a review on it recently and they were amazed at the quality. I went for it instead of the Duet because of the midi and input/output expandability. But it's more expensive. And the USB2.0 driver is rock solid with very low latency. It frees my firewire port for my External HD.... And you can control its output with the keyboard keys on your Mac!!!

Blink

Thanks, Blink. I think this is the direction I'll go in. I just don't have the space in my setup for a rack-mount form factor, and the Babyface will be much easier on the wallet than an Ensemble.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Good news: got my K-88... bad news: aggregate audio unst Reply with quote

BetaMark wrote:

I prefer to use the computer's normal input/output settings so that I can audition my mixes on the computer speakers as well as my near-field monitors.

I cannot hear Kronos (USB) out of my Mac speakers?
If I select Kronos USB Input and Output in the Sound Preferences I can see the signal on the screen, but hear nada?
What is it that I am not doing? Embarassed
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Sound Preferences, try setting up the Input to Kronos, then switch to the output tab and select Mac Internal (I think that's the one, I'm not on my Mac at the moment).

That should work... if it doesn't, try using Soundflower/Soundflower Bed which is a free app for routing audio to and from various sources/destinations.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronik wrote:
In the Sound Preferences, try setting up the Input to Kronos, then switch to the output tab and select Mac Internal (I think that's the one, I'm not on my Mac at the moment).
Thanks, but I have tried every possible combination of ins and outs with no luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: