Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jupiter 80 Manual available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Jupiter 80 Manual available Reply with quote

Here it is

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?PRODUCT=JUPITER%2D80

Careful dont drop it on your foot its about 100 pages lol

Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 pages is not much compared to the 1000+ pages of the Kronos parameter guide, however the articulation parameters look very interesting tough.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just KNOW I'm gonna be bi*ch slapped for this, but... IS THAT IT?

I was looking forward to reading the user and parameter guides, to see what the Jupiter could do - don't get me wrong, I usually like Roland keyboards (having previously owned a D50, XP50 and Juno G) but they dropped the ball with the Gaia, and seem to have scored an own goal with this...

I'm seriously glad I chose the Kronos over the 80.

BTW this is just my personal opinion! Wink
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parameter guide is 86 pages - seems a little light to me but then Roland guides do tend to be a description of what is available but light on how to use the parameters and also in some places can be a bit repetitive.

The Korg manuals on the other hand give the users a bit of a clue about what the parameters might be used for.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, seems like a rather straightforward board with not too much tinkering.

It has lots of limitations (only parallel FX, WTF?), but I think it will prove to be a great live performance board. Completely different scope than Kronos, but not without its own merits.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Casio with D-Beam doesn't need a lot of pages...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I like the interface..... and the separate buttons for "transpose, octave up&down, and arpeggio on/off buttons for lower and upper keyboard!! Plus a separate "assignable" button and a reverb on/off!! A++++

I dont know about everyone else, but to me pushing buttons are much easier than fumbling around menus looking for the right tab...or area to touch on a display screen...gets to be a chore and a pain in the ass..

Buttons also allow you to still see the "main program or combi" page on the screen without having to continue going back and forth to the previous menu when you are editing or changing the sounds. Why Korg doesnt use this method I have no idea?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Buttons also allow you to still see the "main program or combi" page on the screen without having to continue going back and forth to the previous menu when you are editing or changing the sounds. Why Korg doesnt use this method I have no idea?

Probably Korg does not use this method, because as you can see on the limited number of parameters on the Roland, Korg would need many more buttons/sliders etc to make it possible to change all those parameters.
And this would increase the cost of course too.
Some want special buttons for this parameter, some for others, before you know there should be a button or slider for every parameter.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
sparkie wrote:

Probably Korg does not use this method, because as you can see on the limited number of parameters on the Roland, Korg would need many more buttons/sliders etc to make it possible to change all those parameters.
And this would increase the cost of course too.
Some want special buttons for this parameter, some for others, before you know there should be a button or slider for every parameter.

4 buttons, Transpose, Octave up/dn and Category or Main Menu is all that is really needed. If Roland and everyone else can do it I am sure Korg could easily also.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
4 buttons, Transpose, Octave up/dn and Category or Main Menu is all that is really needed. If Roland and everyone else can do it I am sure Korg could easily also.

Sorry, cant't agree here.

Maybe that's good enough for you, but to me it sounds absolutely pathetic.
With these ridiculous 4 sliders you can't even use a B3 in any way that makes sense. And on any board with some real VA on board it would be ridculous to work with 4 knobs and 4 sliders - at least from my point of view. The only convincing thing is the dedicated transpose button. But maybe others don't really use synth functions, B3 sliders and many more sound shaping possibilities with powerful synths.

From my view the Roland JP 80 design looks really poor, and I wouldn't even call something with such limited controller functions a "performance synth".
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I can agree with dedicated transpose and octave up/down buttons that are GLOBAL, and not taking up SW1 and SW2 and need to be programmed per patch, as on Kronos.

I wouldn't call JP-80's design poor. I'd just say it LOOKS ridiculous. However it's built for performance. Yeah it doesn't have tons of sliders and knobs or whatnot, but since it has clever behavioral models that take note at what you play, you don't even need a gazillion controllers to pull off a convincing performance. Solo sounds are much better on JP-80 than on Kronos for that sole reason, especially brass.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you extend this idea it would be nice if Korg (as leading or one of the leading) synth companies, continued with the Komponent system by completely separating the UI/controllers from the keybed and the synth engine(s). This way you have always three modules:
- keybed
- synth (motherboard + memory etc)
- UI: display + controllers (buttons, knobs, sliders etc)

This means there should be:
- e.g. 3 types of keybeds: 61, 73 weighted and 88 weighted (like now)
- synth engine (Korg Kronos), one for now, Kronos 2 will be the next etc
- display + controllers: none (in case you want to use a DAW like system entirely), normal (like the one now), extended (with a lot of extra buttons/sliders etc like the Oasys)

All items can be combined. You just order 1 keybed, 1 synth and 1 UI. Korg can make it in such a way you can connect/disconnect it yourself or not at all (order a combined system).

Advantages for the user:
- Flexibility: possibility to get a 61 keyboard with an extended UI, or an 88 with no UI at all

Advantages for Korg:
- They do not have to create a new UI each time -> cheaper
- They probably will sell a lot more of synth engines since users can keep their older parts if they want, however the cost will be lower
- They can even more concentrate on the synth engines.
- Test time decreases since they don't have to create a new UI each time.

Disadvantages for the user:
- It will be a bit more expensive (having a flexible system)

Disadvantages for Korg:
- Test time increases a bit to test the extra flexibility.

But at the end it would be great: like the M3 but then even further:
- Taking your synth engine from your studio and place it in your case at home. It will be very light, at the studio there is an extended UI and 88 keybed and at home you have a 61 keybed and no UI (DAW controlled)
- When a new 'Kronos' comes out, you just buy a new synth engine
- When Korg creates a new keybed it can be used with older synths too
- Same for a UI ...

EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Komponent system was kind of a flop, IMHO...
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Korg Komponent system was kind of a flop, IMHO...

I think if Korg really wanted the Komponent system to work, they needed to sell "keyboard only" packages at retail, which would have allowed someone to buy more than one keyboard.

Also, the Komponent system, as designed, did not lend itself to allow quick connections.

I assume the real reason for the Komponent system was to allow Korg to release a "module version" without having to pay for the extra R&D and design of a separate module/rack unit.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
A Casio with D-Beam doesn't need a lot of pages...

That's a bit far fetched MC...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: