Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jupiter 80 Manual available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:

The key aspect of the JP-80 is behavioral modeling. My understanding is that it is an advanced version of their AP synthesis, and that it enables the keyboard player to play an acoustic sound almost as expressively as a real musician playing an instrument.

I played the JP-80 only for 20 minutes when I was visiting Japan. Its acoustic sounds are out of this world. Check out a Sweetwater video showing a trombone sound. The expressiveness and performance nuances are not possible on other synths.

I own a V-synth GT and definitely think what Roland is doing AP synthesis is great. If they expanded on what they did with the few instruments in the GT I can imagine that the JP80 instruments are a joy to play. I do think the player still has to modify the way he approaches each sound in order to fully take advantage of the benefits of AP, but it can be used to create some very realistic real time articulations.

I'm not as interested in recreating acoustic sounds, so the aspect of AP I find interesting on the GT is applying the AP of an instrument to a different sound. Although there are limits to which sounds you can do this to on the GT, I wish they had further expanded those abilities on the JP80 rather than just focusing on creating articulations for more instruments.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not as interested in recreating acoustic sounds, so the aspect of AP I find interesting on the GT is applying the AP of an instrument to a different sound. Although there are limits to which sounds you can do this to on the GT, I wish they had further expanded those abilities on the JP80 rather than just focusing on creating articulations for more instruments.

Too bad I didn't play synth patches on the JP80. Roland also mentions "Super Natural synths" on the JP80 but there's little information about it. Sound on Sound will publish a review of the JP80 on July 20th. We'll know more about it soon.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go and play it some more. So far it's not very impressive at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: