Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPC 1000 + Keyboard vs Microsampler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: MPC 1000 + Keyboard vs Microsampler Reply with quote

Hey Im considering how much of the functionality of the Korg microsampler I could get by pairing an MPC1000 with a midi keyboard controller. Is it possible to record samples so they are immediately spread across the keyboard?

I know the MPC is a lot more powerful so what does the microsampler do that the MPC+keyboard doesnt do? Im looking at $700 for a used keyboard and MPC vs like $300 for a mint microsampler (which I noticed doesnt have a swing function, which concerns me).

Thanks
tonidude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MPC 1000 + Keyboard vs Microsampler Reply with quote

cdog wrote:
Hey Im considering how much of the functionality of the Korg microsampler I could get by pairing an MPC1000 with a midi keyboard controller. Is it possible to record samples so they are immediately spread across the keyboard?

I know the MPC is a lot more powerful so what does the microsampler do that the MPC+keyboard doesnt do? Im looking at $700 for a used keyboard and MPC vs like $300 for a mint microsampler (which I noticed doesnt have a swing function, which concerns me).

Thanks

Well, the interface is really different. I think the MS really wins on that front.

Also, MPC is not meant for melodic ("gate") samples. I don't think you can take a sample and spread it among multiple keys, it doesn't know how to transpose a sample?
korakios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPC vs microsampler?The are completely different samplers.
If you don't have another sampler and don't work on a computer I would definitely choose an mpc because you can't write a complete song with microsampler due to limited ram per bank (only 160 seconds of recording time for monaural samples at a 48 kHz-not upgradeable).
But If you plan to have a sampler for adding parts and fx on loops and you are using mainly software I'd choose the MS(straight forward interface).It depends on how you make music.

PS. Mpc500 (and I assume the mpc1000) can chromatically pitch a sample.
Telengard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korakios wrote:
If you don't have another sampler and don't work on a computer I would definitely choose an mpc because you can't write a complete song with microsampler due to limited ram per bank (only 160 seconds of recording time for monaural samples at a 48 kHz-not upgradeable).

That all depends on how you make songs. If you just sample entire existing songs and chop them up, then yeah, the RAM is a bit limited. But if you create songs from scratch using smaller samples then there is more then enough. I have a few songs already created on one bank and there is room for a lot more with out having to reuse existing samples.
korakios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telengard wrote:

That all depends on how you make songs. If you just sample entire existing songs and chop them up, then yeah, the RAM is a bit limited. But if you create songs from scratch using smaller samples then there is more then enough. I have a few songs already created on one bank and there is room for a lot more with out having to reuse existing samples.

I totally agree.I assume you use the sequencer often, which I never do.I always resample with effects/chop/resample and so on...that is why I find the RAM limited but it's a damn fast sampler... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: