Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rudess' first DT gig w/ the Kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Rudess' first DT gig w/ the Kronos Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6IOwEjv_PM&hd=1

sounds great here - The DW8000 sounds he's recreating sound awesome.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty damn good!

Can it be that this is one of the rare occasions where Rudess doesn't destroy a song that Moore played with mindless wanking?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
Sounds pretty damn good!

Can it be that this is one of the rare occasions where Rudess doesn't destroy a song that Moore played with mindless wanking?

Laughing
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. See what he did to Space Dye Vest, it's horrendous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms7YbfHePZE
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
It's true. See what he did to Space Dye Vest, it's horrendous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms7YbfHePZE

Oh, we're in agreement. Far too many notes for my taste. Rolling Eyes
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially if you compare to the original version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O4_C68PmFI
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to Rudess, you either love him or hate him, I suppose. But I think its really not HIM that is in question, as much as his music. Few could argue the virtuoso talent he consistently displays. Whether that is the music you wish to listen to in order to find peace and tranquility.....that's personal taste, and I can see where it would not fit the bill for many.

Makes me think of Al DiMeola, on the guitar side. I am a huge fan. The man can rip on a guitar like few others in history. In the earlly days (Return to Forever), and his first few solo albums, I listened in absolute awe. Through the years though, it all starts to sound kind of the same. A cr*p-load of notes is still a cr*p-load of notes, in just about any musical context. I still awe his talent....without any doubt, I honor it. But its not the music I would listen to repetitively for my musical sanctity.

Rudess....sort of the same. At first I was in awe...still am for the talent...but the music grates a bit and starts to all sound alike to me.

But hey...If I could rip the way he can rip......that's what I would be doing too. How the man doesn't get carpal tunnel syndrome is beyond me!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
DocAtlas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
When it comes to Rudess, you either love him or hate him, I suppose. But I think its really not HIM that is in question, as much as his music. Few could argue the virtuoso talent he consistently displays. Whether that is the music you wish to listen to in order to find peace and tranquility.....that's personal taste, and I can see where it would not fit the bill for many.

Makes me think of Al DiMeola, on the guitar side. I am a huge fan. The man can rip on a guitar like few others in history. In the earlly days (Return to Forever), and his first few solo albums, I listened in absolute awe. Through the years though, it all starts to sound kind of the same. A cr*p-load of notes is still a cr*p-load of notes, in just about any musical context. I still awe his talent....without any doubt, I honor it. But its not the music I would listen to repetitively for my musical sanctity.

Rudess....sort of the same. At first I was in awe...still am for the talent...but the music grates a bit and starts to all sound alike to me.

But hey...If I could rip the way he can rip......that's what I would be doing too. How the man doesn't get carpal tunnel syndrome is beyond me!

I could never get into Al DiMeola (or Chick Corea, either); it sounded like scales being practiced as fast as he could play them. As far as fast players go, Steve Morse has always been my favorite.
Korg BX3; Korg Triton (classic) w/MOSS, Studio Essentials & Vintage Archives; Korg N5EX; Korg O3RW; Kurzweil K2600s; Kurzweil 1000GX;Hammond C3 & Leslie 145; Farfisa Fast 3; Sequential Pro-One; Moog Liberation; Emu Proteus 3; Emu Planet Earth w/Vintage Expansion; Roland JV-880; Yamaha Motif Rack; Yamaha DX21; Yamaha TX216; Yamaha TX81Z; Yamaha TG77.
franzlp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way you all did notice his main keyboard was the OASYS and not the Kronos right? Easily detected when he rotated. Smile
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't like the DW-8000 saw lead patch. It was WAY too thin. The beauty of the DW-8000 is when you hit the mono button, it stacked all 8 voices and slightly detuned them and it sounded AWESOME. His saw lead sounded like a mere 2 osc. saw lead - very thin, lacking balls.

This is one of the leads I'm working on nailing now. It was my favorite lead patch on my DW-8000s.

-Mc

p.s. James put on some pounds...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzlp wrote:
By the way you all did notice his main keyboard was the OASYS and not the Kronos right? Easily detected when he rotated. Smile
Nope that's just the stand (i thought he was hiding a oasys aswell when i saw those sides which looked very similar to the oasys, but you can clearly see on the monitor that there's just one keyboard).

Here's a closer image of his current setup

And inside the stand (ups i guess?):

(larger versions @ http://ow.ly/i/deL3 & http://ow.ly/i/devw & http://ow.ly/i/dlLB )

synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know prog metal is all the rage these days, but I'm just not into it. Dream Theater is okay, but I think they fail to reach the musical levels they're capable of. Jordan can, when he's in the mood, and when he does, he's incredible. As for Space Dye Vest, I guess all the DT/KevMo fans are in awe of it, but I really don't understand the veneration for this song.

Oh well, different tastes for different people.

Last edited by synthguy on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
franzlp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. I stand corrected. Thank you.
franzlp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this closely it makes perfect sense and my setup from a practical sense follows the same theme. With either the Oasys or the Kronos a UPS power supply is the rule with me. I've already had occasions where they've kicked in and given me time for recovery and proper shutdown. Put an independent line conditioner prior to the UPS backup and the keyboard should be well protected.... ah don't forget a waterproof keyboard softcover. This set up should also make the instrument last longer since voltage variations will be keep to quite a minimum since the Kronos and OASYS are basically a computer.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one insane stand Rudess has!
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: