Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Kronos Section of my website!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: New Kronos Section of my website! Reply with quote

Some of you may be familiar with my website giving out free patches for the Korg Triton & Radias and I am pleased to reveal the new section of (free) patches for the KRONOS!

There is.............

MANY more to come, i just got the thing a week ago!!!!!!!

None the less, check out what's there now at

http://robertrosen.weebly.com/kronos--oasys.html

Comments and constructive criticism welcome!

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome offerings, man! Can't wait to get home and listen to them.
I'll let you know what I think when I've had a chance to audition.
Since you've worked with AL-1 and Radias, how do the two compare sound and feature-wise? I've only tinkered a bit with floor models of the Radias and never was able to do deep diving into its architecture; but, it looks so good on paper and the AL-1 seems very similar at first glance.

Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynkh wrote:
Awesome offerings, man! Can't wait to get home and listen to them.
I'll let you know what I think when I've had a chance to audition.
Since you've worked with AL-1 and Radias, how do the two compare sound and feature-wise? I've only tinkered a bit with floor models of the Radias and never was able to do deep diving into its architecture; but, it looks so good on paper and the AL-1 seems very similar at first glance.

Cheers!

Thank you!
And to answer your question...
When the NAMM videos of Radias say "We learned a lot about making analog engines while making OASYS" they werent joking. Radias is basically AL-1 without having an oasys, if you ask me. Feature wise, though.

Sound wise? Radias sounds like a thin piece of thread while AL-1 sounds like... HUGE...... You would know from just hearing the saw wave.
The one feature they both share that the radias excels in is the Unison mode, it doesn't sound as good in AL-1.

Other thing the radias does that STRANGELY AL-1 doesnt... Is that on the radias, you can pick any waveform for each oscillator... in AL-1.. you get (my kronos is not on so im going by memory)
Saw
Pulse
Saw/Pulse
double saw
detuned saw 1
detuned saw 2
triangle
square/tringle
Have you noticed the lack of a solo square wave? This is a huge problem for me. someone please correct me if im wrong. and no if you turn the pulse width down on the pulse wave, you dont get a square wave....

Other then that, Al-1 kills radias. much warmer and more flexible.. plus more polyphony and a ton of effects Very Happy

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:

Other thing the radias does that STRANGELY AL-1 doesnt... Is that on the radias, you can pick any waveform for each oscillator... in AL-1.. you get (my kronos is not on so im going by memory)
Saw
Pulse
Saw/Pulse
double saw
detuned saw 1
detuned saw 2
triangle
square/tringle
Have you noticed the lack of a solo square wave? This is a huge problem for me. someone please correct me if im wrong. and no if you turn the pulse width down on the pulse wave, you dont get a square wave....

Other then that, Al-1 kills radias. much warmer and more flexible.. plus more polyphony and a ton of effects Very Happy

A Square Wave is a 50% Pulse Wave. That's how I learned it many years ago. If you're not getting a true Square Wave then maybe it's not a true Pulse Wave.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:

A Square Wave is a 50% Pulse Wave. That's how I learned it many years ago. If you're not getting a true Square Wave then maybe it's not a true Pulse Wave.

Well i sure aint getting a square wave...

Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to steal your thunder - it is incredibly welcome to see new patches so quickly...

...but just to remind everyone that there's a bunch of free patches for OASYS and hence hopefully Kronos on my web site too. In fact I'd be keen to know if they even load, as I do not own a Kronos (yet!). Read all instructions associated with each sounnd set. They are free for download and use, no strings attached (no pun intended!!). Note that the 107 AL-1 sounds are an extended and polished version of the same AL-1 sounds found in the more general set called UG0106.PCG (which also contains MS20EX, PolysixEX and STR-1 programs):

http://www.knect.ie/OASYS.html

Well done again robinhood on getting yours out so fast - can't wait to try them when I eventually get a Kronos.

Kevin.

Last edited by Kevin Nolan on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:
I did not turn off OSC2 in the mixer, i can confirm that the pulse IS a square as 50% (put it through an oscilloscope)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: