Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day 1 with a Kronos 73
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzlp wrote:
Well my reply to being gifted to change keys at a drop of a hat? Well please keep in mind it's my opinion that if you are spending a large quantity of money in such a complex instrument, the bigger investment should be in the musical skills. It's like in other things in the world... if you don't learn the math you're not going to be able to make change. I would never bring up the issue of a facility to easily transpose and why? Not because I am a virtuoso on the keys as very few of us actually are and I am certainly not but when I run into a wall like that I don't yield to the mechanics I simply pick up the theory book and then augment my capacity. In my opinion you can let the instrument augment your limitations. What happens when you don''t have a workstation and you are placed in front of an acoustic piano and have to try the piece in several different keys. It's part of the mechanics we all should know in and out. Again, just my opinion.

Nonsense.

That's like saying that it's OK for some synth to have a lousy trumpet sound because it should be within the expectation of the musician to play trumpet as well as keys, or that there be no need for a quantize feature on the sequencer because it should be with the expectation of the musician that you can play in perfect time during your performance.

The entire point of these giant synth/computer/workstations is to make doing many things simpler for people who don't possess all the individual skills.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
I find it very disappointing that such a feature-packed board doesn't have dedicated octave and transpose buttons! They don't even have to be physical - they could be on the touchscreen, visible at all times on the main pages of each mode.

Just like on a Kurzweil. Laughing Cool

Where are the dedicated octave and transpose buttons on the PC3K8?
I see an "Arp" and "SW" button, and other buttons, but don't see the ones you mention. Or are you saying you can program the 'SW' button to be an octave button globally, as opposed to in each patch?

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/images/products/208/large/231.jpg

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinHines wrote:
Where are the dedicated octave and transpose buttons on the PC3K8?
I see an "Arp" and "SW" button, and other buttons, but don't see the ones you mention. Or are you saying you can program the 'SW' button to be an octave button globally, as opposed to in each patch?

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/images/products/208/large/231.jpg

EvilDragon wrote:
I am EXPECTING to see dedicated transpose buttons on a workstation that I'm going to use. Physical or soft-buttons, I don't care. I want them there.

On a Kurzweil, transpose buttons are soft-buttons (see the display on that splendid high-res picture you've linked, Octav-, Octav+, Xpose-, Xpose+ are dedicated octave and transpose soft-buttons I'm talking about). Always visible and accessible on display when you're on the top view of Program, Setup, and Quick Access mode, REGARDLESS of the patch you play. Since K2000 (1991, that's exactly 20 years ago!).

Don't tell me Korg can't (or couldn't) do the same for Kronos (or for that matter, their previous touchscreen based workstations), because they can. It's just a matter of adding it to the OS, since it's just a few soft-buttons.

Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:07 pm; edited 8 times in total
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to browse through the patches of just one engine, e.g. through all Polysix patches in a row or just HD-1 patches?
I haven't found such a function so far, but not really read the whole manual.

Anyone?
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seams to me that some people are looking at workstations when what they really want in an Arranger Keyboard.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phattbuzz wrote:
Seams to me that some people are looking at workstations when what they really want in an Arranger Keyboard.

Wrong.
shap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Day 1 with a Kronos 73 Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
yes, it's E to E (what I prefer by far).

So just out of curiosity, what happens at the high and low end of the keyboard when you use the octave transpose keys? Do you end up getting playable notes above (or below) the 88 key range?
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shap,

just tested a Rhodes patch with +12 and -12, and both directions work sounding on every key. I have not checked extreme settings or other engines, but I guess in normal applications you will probably not get silent keys within this range.
maphill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Day 1 with a Kronos 73 Reply with quote

shap wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
yes, it's E to E (what I prefer by far).

So just out of curiosity, what happens at the high and low end of the keyboard when you use the octave transpose keys? Do you end up getting playable notes above (or below) the 88 key range?

Not with the new SGX pianos. They are silent. I'm guessing you could go in and change that (to use the highest recording shifted up, etc.), but I don't know.

Mark
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a workstation. You can transpose in Global or in the Program/Controllers or Combi/Timbre Parameter Pages.
All boards have different features, just like automobiles. If you like it, you purchase, and if you don't you buy something else, - right? Wink
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The necessity of dedicated transpose buttons is subject to debate as shown in this thread; you can get around it somewhat or get some skilz I suppose.

But I really think dedicated octave+/- buttons on a keyboard with less than 88 keys should be mandatory, especially on a keyboard with stage piano aspirations (as indicated by the RH3 action on the 73 key along with its fab piano sounds).
Subpar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Is it possible to browse through the patches of just one engine, e.g. through all Polysix patches in a row or just HD-1 patches?

Anyone?

great question...I was wondering the same thing...trying to get back home to the studio....stuck in Philly due to weather!!!

Dustin
Aka Subpar
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I was really curious about how you were going to react to Kronos. As I said, Youtube sound quality can't do justice to the fidelity of Kronos/OASYS.

As for the guitars, I actually drop some of the softer layers (pp, mf, f) and use the filter to control the ff layer. Try running the steel, electric or nylon through the Bass Amp effect, which greatly improves their presence, like this:

GUITAR through BASS AMP

jimknopf wrote:

I haven't seen the Kronos layout of programs, but on OASYS, Korg seperated the kinds of programs by bank -
User Bank C was MOD-7
User D was PolySix/MS-20
User E was STR-1
Internal F was AL-1
User F was CX-3 and then halfway through, more AL-1 programs.

They also seperated additional ROMs by bank -
Internal A - D were base ROM
Internal E was for EXs-1 expansion ROM
User A was for EXs-2 pianos
User G was for EXs-3 brass/woodwinds.

So if you didn't load an EXs, you knew that it only affected a certain bank.

I would be surprised if Kronos didn't use similar logic, as you can't load everything at once.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:

I haven't seen the Kronos layout of programs, but on OASYS, Korg seperated the kinds of programs by bank -
User Bank C was MOD-7
User D was PolySix/MS-20
User E was STR-1
Internal F was AL-1
User F was CX-3 and then halfway through, more AL-1 programs.

There's still this general idea, though some of the banks have shifted.
The layout is described in a few places in the manuals; one of them is on the first page of the "Playing and editing Programs" section in the Operation Guide.

Mike Conway wrote:

They also seperated additional ROMs by bank -
Internal A - D were base ROM
Internal E was for EXs-1 expansion ROM
User A was for EXs-2 pianos
User G was for EXs-3 brass/woodwinds.

So if you didn't load an EXs, you knew that it only affected a certain bank.

I would be surprised if Kronos didn't use similar logic, as you can't load everything at once.

Just a note - all Programs in the factory preload use only the pre-loaded samples. Since we're using virtual memory, we managed to squeeze a lot more in at once. So, unlike the OASYS, you can play any of the pre-loaded Programs without loading or unloading any samples.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to leave my 2 cents here about the question of dedicated octave and transpose buttons. With respect for other opinions, to me the octave buttons can be handy for quick octave transpose like when i have to reach too far if i play the kbd at my side for instance if i'm playing with 3 boards, or if i'm playing a 61 kbd and i need to go to an higher or lower octave that is not on the kbd rage at the time, but that is just cause it's handy, i can live with out it. As far as transpose dedicated buttons, oh come on.... I've never transposed a key on the kbd if i have to play in another key in my life, sure it can be handy in a tight spot, if you are playing a complex piece and have to play in another key unexpectedly, but normally if i have to play something in another key i just play something is another key, i mean that is why i've learn to play every chords and scales on a keyboard, technology shouldn't replace natural playing abilities. I'm not saying it's always easy to play something we are used to suddenly in a different key, but it's something we should be able to, if we rely on technology to do everything for us, one of these days keyboard players will just hit a key and the keyboard will do the playing for them. Call me old school but i'm proud of that
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: