Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a great pad controller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundsailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Found a great pad controller Reply with quote

I'm using a AkAI MPD16 USB/MIDI pad controller with the Kronos and it's working great, it has a usb editor for programing on the PC via usb. And it has a MIDI out to attach to the Kronos. You can use the Kronos usb to power the pad controller too. These are all over the web for about 30 bucks Twisted Evil
jahrome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a great pad controller Reply with quote

soundsailer wrote:
I'm using a AkAI MPD16 USB/MIDI pad controller with the Kronos and it's working great, it has a usb editor for programing on the PC via usb. And it has a MIDI out to attach to the Kronos. You can use the Kronos usb to power the pad controller too. These are all over the web for about 30 bucks Twisted Evil

I just purchased the MPD 32. While Kronos can power it, it will not transmit MIDI over USB. I tried connecting it to Kronos via USB (for power) and MIDI. With this configuration, it would not transmit MIDI.

So I have to get an external power supply for the MPD and it works perfectly. Now...only if Kronos can receive MIDI CC messages...I would be able to control different Kronos parameters via the MPDs sliders and knobs. Shocked
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome - how about powering MPD from Kronos' USB, but connecting it via MPD's MIDI OUT to Kronos' MIDI IN instead of USB?
jahrome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
jahrome - how about powering MPD from Kronos' USB, but connecting it via MIDI OUT to Kronos' MIDI IN instead of USB?

That is what I meant. When I tried that, it wouldn't work. So I unplugged the USB cable, and used an external power supply. Then it worked perfectly.
soundsailer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Found a great pad controller Reply with quote

The MPD16 has a actual MIDI out port and a USB port so you can transmit Midi via MIDI port and power the MPD16 via the USB port Twisted Evil
drchris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AKAI MPK and MPD's transmit over MIDI only if the USB is not connected. That's what Jahrome means when he says he has to have a power adaptor. If the AKAI gets it's power from the wall it sends MIDI over the MIDI OUT.

This is a 'feature' of the AKAI to allow you to use the MIDI in and out as general MIDI ports for your computer when it is connected by USB.

Chris
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- the MPD32 looks like a big unit! I guess even for people with 73/88 boards, it probably wouldn't fit on top of the unit.

I wonder which of the units out there that could actually live on one of the sides of a 73/88?
soundsailer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drchris wrote:
The AKAI MPK and MPD's transmit over MIDI only if the USB is not connected. That's what Jahrome means when he says he has to have a power adaptor. If the AKAI gets it's power from the wall it sends MIDI over the MIDI OUT.

This is a 'feature' of the AKAI to allow you to use the MIDI in and out as general MIDI ports for your computer when it is connected by USB.

Chris

Not true with the MPD16, I'm getting power for the MPD16 from the Kronos usb port and sending the midi via the midi port to the Kronos at the same time and it's working no problemo Twisted Evil
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected - this is definitely true for the MPK series.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Totally confused?? So can I play Kronos pads on this without using the touchscreen?? If so how do you configure it and where do you plug it in etc.? Thnks
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundsailer wrote:
drchris wrote:

Chris

Not true with the MPD16, I'm getting power for the MPD16 from the Kronos usb port and sending the midi via the midi port to the Kronos at the same time and it's working no problemo Twisted Evil

I am going to try this again with the MPD 32. MPD 32 powered by Kronos via USB. MPD 32 MIDI output connected to Kronos MIDI input via MIDI cable...stay tuned.

Tried again. As soon as a plug in the USB cable, the physical MIDI ports stop working. I am looking for a specific setting to see if I can change this behavior. So far I can't find it.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahrome wrote:
soundsailer wrote:
drchris wrote:

Chris

I am going to try this again with the MPD 32. MPD 32 powered by Kronos via USB. MPD 32 MIDI output connected to Kronos MIDI input via MIDI cable...stay tuned.

Tried again. As soon as a plug in the USB cable, the physical MIDI ports stop working. I am looking for a specific setting to see if I can change this behavior. So far I can't find it.

Many controllers are configured such that when plugged into USB, the MIDI Out becomes a MIDI Out port for the computer and is disconnected internally from the device. Sometimes you can switch this off, other times not. Depends on the device.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
jahrome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:

Many controllers are configured such that when plugged into USB, the MIDI Out becomes a MIDI Out port for the computer and is disconnected internally from the device. Sometimes you can switch this off, other times not. Depends on the device.

This appears to be the case with the MPD32 according to the manual. I don't see any settings that can change this.
Rocness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is which pad controller will let you store and save your own chords per pad to trigger Kronos . The Oasys did this elegantly .

That's why the Kronos can never be an Oasys . The physical real Chord triggers on the Oasys is a major part of the Oasys experience . The Oasys pad triggers let you chain together beautiful and exotic chord progressions effortlessly and save a whole bank of them if you want . Add karma into the mix with the chord trigger (pads) and it is perfection !

There are 3 things Korg can do to stop kronos from being a let down in the future but I'm not going to say anything now but time will tell , remember , I was the one who showed this forum what the Kronos looked like well before it came out .

Don't get me wrong , right now the Kronos is the flavor of the month but as time goes on and new products are being released people are going to want more from there investment (they always do) , because that's what your doing when you buy these expensive boards your making an investment in your music and your future especially in this economy .
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post....but the KRONOS CAN already save custom chord triggers, and is shipped programmed with the same basic chord triggers, as the M3 or OASYS. All that is missing is the physical controller (although you get an onscreen controller to replace it). The only function of using a "pad controller" is to add physical pads, if you prefer the physical pad experience to the onscreen controller experience. Otherwise, the KRONOS has the exact same functionality of M3 or OASYS.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: