Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 - First Impressions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Kronos 88 - First Impressions Reply with quote

Well, it finally happened. My Kronos 88 arrived yesterday, and I was able to squeeze in some quality time. Below are some first impressions:

Overall appearance: Very modern, classy and elegant. The gloss end caps, smudge-resistant top finish and understated theme make this look like a high-end instrument. It's as if a mini ebony grand is sitting in my studio.

Display: Compared to the M50 and M3, the K-88 is big and bright. There is perhaps 15% brightness fall-off when looking at the display while sitting at arms length at around a 45 degree angle (relative to the eyes), but it's still bright enough in a well-lit studio. The touch sensitivity is excellent. It is MUCH more responsive than the M50 and M3. However, since many screens are ported from the Oasys, the reduced scale makes text and other UI elements ridiculously small, perhaps as little as 7-point font. The newer screens (introduced with the Kronos, like Set List) use a larger, thicker font and are easily read. Korg MUST eventually re-do the legacy Oasys screens, or add some sort of zoom feature to make them reasonably useable. The display hardware is excellent and can certainly handle the task, but it's going to take some hard work at Korg to get the GUI where it needs to be.

Vitrual "Pads": I was pleased with the responsiveness of the "pads" screen. There is little latency, and not much finger force or velocity is required to trigger a pad. The only downside is that the pads are "monophonic" - that is, only one pad will trigger at a time (unlike the M50 and M3 pads where multiples can be struck at once). I'll be setting my Korg padKONTROL soon to get around this.

RH3 Keybed: The keys have a very nice, high quality texture, just like a real piano. The action is very close to a real piano too. Responsiveness is excellent, with no perceivable latency. After-touch works fine, and of course, is adjustable. There was some minor key spacing unevenness, but it's not obvious, and it certainly does not affect playability. There is no unusual acoustic noise when playing.

Knobs, sliders and switches: The rotary knobs feel rock solid, with zero wobble, and offer a bit of turning resistance. The sliders exhibit a bit of lateral play, and some inconsistent resistance - I would consider them "mid grade" quality, but they may improve with some break-in. The switches are solid, and offer suitable resistance with an audible and tactile click. The LED indicators are easily seen and look really cool.

Panel labeling: The panel text is fairly easy to read, with the exception of the "gold tone" letters (like Karma functions, cutoff, resonance, etc.) Depending on your lighting, there may be some panel glare that obscures the text, but it's isolated to a few areas, and glare is well controlled due to the brushed matte finish.

Joystick and Vector Joystick: The main joystick feels solid, with consistent resistance in all directions. It's a good height, and is operable without giving it a second thought. It's solid plastic, and looks like it will stand up to plenty of use. The vector joystick is small, and is a bit shy of 3/4" tall. The knob is metal, and appears to have a metal shaft. It moves very easily with almost no resistance, and is well controlled with a fingertip. This looks like a high quality component. It's in easy reach, and is a blast to use.

Ribbon Controller: This has a nice, textured surface that prevent finger sticking. There's also a small protrusion on the controller bezel at midpoint so you can tell where the "zero" position is without looking - a nice touch.

Value Dial: It is relatively small, and has a slightly scratchy, inconsistent feel. I didn't try to yank it off but mine appeared to be well seated. There was no evidence of orbital or height wobble. It's probably the lowest quality grade component on the keyboard, but I'm hoping it will smooth out with break in.

Jacks, fan, etc.: The connection jacks all appear to be high quality. Inserted plugs felt strong and secure. The power switch is heavy duty, and has a raised bezel to help prevent accidental activation. The fan is inaudible.

Sound: I only had a chance to really explore the SGX-1 pianos. These are, hands down, the best simulated pianos I have every heard or played. There is excellent dynamic range, responsiveness, and tone. There is ZERO hint of any "stair-stepping" as notes decay. These pianos alone, to me, justify this instrument.

As someone else in this forum mentioned, this is the keyboard I would take to a deserted island if I were marooned for the rest of my life. It is so deep, rich and rewarding, and would probably take a lifetime to exhaust its potential.

Bottom line: Korg did a magnificent job and they can hold up their heads in pride. The biggest letdown is the GUI, but when the computer-based editor is available, that will be an adequate work-around in the meantime.

And such is life with Kronos S/N #113.

Bill
HwyStar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the very detailed and informative review Mr. Krunch!

This review will help "my wife" decide for me which new board I want to get! I am pushed around since she controls the money... My bad!

Thanks Dude
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Excellent Kronos review Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
Excellent review!
Very well written.

hmmm... Now if I can just trick MY wife into reading it too.

Cheers, Hanon
HwyStar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy, paste, print... Don't let her see our posts! We will rot in hell for talking like this!
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyStar wrote:
Copy, paste, print... Don't let her see our posts! We will rot in hell for talking like this!

I somehow managed to get my wife's sister to spend a couple weeks at our house, so my wife is gleefully occupied with her, doing crafts and wandering around Walmart in the wee hours of the night while I remain hidden in my basement studio. She didn't even see me wrestle this monster box into the house yesterday.

The planets are in alignment! Very Happy
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
HwyStar wrote:
......She didn't even see me wrestle this monster box into the house yesterday.

The planets are in alignment! Very Happy

ROFL

BOS=WOS Embarassed
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great review- please write more when you've explored it more.

Future good luck with the wife!

Randy
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
She didn't even see me wrestle this monster box into the house yesterday.

Now I see what's going on. She doesn't even know you have it. Laughing

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Subpar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 88 - First Impressions Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
Well, it finally happened. My Kronos 88 arrived yesterday, and I was able to squeeze in some quality time. Below are some first impressions:

Overall appearance: Very modern, classy and elegant. The gloss end caps, smudge-resistant top finish and understated theme make this look like a high-end instrument. It's as if a mini ebony grand is sitting in my studio.

Display: Compared to the M50 and M3, the K-88 is big and bright. There is perhaps 15% brightness fall-off when looking at the display while sitting at arms length at around a 45 degree angle (relative to the eyes), but it's still bright enough in a well-lit studio. The touch sensitivity is excellent. It is MUCH more responsive than the M50 and M3. However, since many screens are ported from the Oasys, the reduced scale makes text and other UI elements ridiculously small, perhaps as little as 7-point font. The newer screens (introduced with the Kronos, like Set List) use a larger, thicker font and are easily read. Korg MUST eventually re-do the legacy Oasys screens, or add some sort of zoom feature to make them reasonably useable. The display hardware is excellent and can certainly handle the task, but it's going to take some hard work at Korg to get the GUI where it needs to be.

Vitrual "Pads": I was pleased with the responsiveness of the "pads" screen. There is little latency, and not much finger force or velocity is required to trigger a pad. The only downside is that the pads are "monophonic" - that is, only one pad will trigger at a time (unlike the M50 and M3 pads where multiples can be struck at once). I'll be setting my Korg padKONTROL soon to get around this.

RH3 Keybed: The keys have a very nice, high quality texture, just like a real piano. The action is very close to a real piano too. Responsiveness is excellent, with no perceivable latency. After-touch works fine, and of course, is adjustable. There was some minor key spacing unevenness, but it's not obvious, and it certainly does not affect playability. There is no unusual acoustic noise when playing.

Knobs, sliders and switches: The rotary knobs feel rock solid, with zero wobble, and offer a bit of turning resistance. The sliders exhibit a bit of lateral play, and some inconsistent resistance - I would consider them "mid grade" quality, but they may improve with some break-in. The switches are solid, and offer suitable resistance with an audible and tactile click. The LED indicators are easily seen and look really cool.

Panel labeling: The panel text is fairly easy to read, with the exception of the "gold tone" letters (like Karma functions, cutoff, resonance, etc.) Depending on your lighting, there may be some panel glare that obscures the text, but it's isolated to a few areas, and glare is well controlled due to the brushed matte finish.

Joystick and Vector Joystick: The main joystick feels solid, with consistent resistance in all directions. It's a good height, and is operable without giving it a second thought. It's solid plastic, and looks like it will stand up to plenty of use. The vector joystick is small, and is a bit shy of 3/4" tall. The knob is metal, and appears to have a metal shaft. It moves very easily with almost no resistance, and is well controlled with a fingertip. This looks like a high quality component. It's in easy reach, and is a blast to use.

Ribbon Controller: This has a nice, textured surface that prevent finger sticking. There's also a small protrusion on the controller bezel at midpoint so you can tell where the "zero" position is without looking - a nice touch.

Value Dial: It is relatively small, and has a slightly scratchy, inconsistent feel. I didn't try to yank it off but mine appeared to be well seated. There was no evidence of orbital or height wobble. It's probably the lowest quality grade component on the keyboard, but I'm hoping it will smooth out with break in.

Jacks, fan, etc.: The connection jacks all appear to be high quality. Inserted plugs felt strong and secure. The power switch is heavy duty, and has a raised bezel to help prevent accidental activation. The fan is inaudible.

Sound: I only had a chance to really explore the SGX-1 pianos. These are, hands down, the best simulated pianos I have every heard or played. There is excellent dynamic range, responsiveness, and tone. There is ZERO hint of any "stair-stepping" as notes decay. These pianos alone, to me, justify this instrument.

As someone else in this forum mentioned, this is the keyboard I would take to a deserted island if I were marooned for the rest of my life. It is so deep, rich and rewarding, and would probably take a lifetime to exhaust its potential.

Bottom line: Korg did a magnificent job and they can hold up their heads in pride. The biggest letdown is the GUI, but when the computer-based editor is available, that will be an adequate work-around in the meantime.

And such is life with Kronos S/N #113.

Bill

I got my 88 number 109 this weekend as well. Couldnt agree with you more!!! excellent write up

Dustin
Aka Subpar
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Something else I noticed is that when placed on a flat surface, the key bed actually tilts slightly away from the player, perhaps by about 5 degrees. That is, the front of the keys are a bit higher than the back of the keys.

I have a Z-stand, which is a flat surface. To get the key bed more horizontal, I added about 3/4" of additional padding to the stand which raises the rear of the Kronos slightly, and make the key bed almost perfectly horizontal when viewed from the side.

This has two advantages - it gives the key bed a more natural position, and it tilts the display towards the player resulting in better brightness.

You guys with adjustable tilt stands won't need to go through this gyration, but with my flat Z-stand this helped a lot.

Happy Kronos-ing!

Bill
cachete1966

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pad monophonic.....

May be the nada are not monophonic...

The touchscreen is not multitouch....

May be...
cachete1966

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistake...

May be the pads are not monophonic..

Is the touchscreen ... Is not multitouch.!
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cachete1966 wrote:
Mistake...

May be the pads are not monophonic..

Is the touchscreen ... Is not multitouch.!

The touch screen is NOT multi-tocuch. Since you can assign the pads to actual keys on the keyboard, I would suspect the pads are actually polyphonic. Good catch.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos 88 - First Impressions Reply with quote

Thanks for your informative review, KapnKrunch Cool

KapnKrunch wrote:
[...]
However, since many screens are ported from the Oasys, the reduced scale makes text and other UI elements ridiculously small, perhaps as little as 7-point font. The newer screens (introduced with the Kronos, like Set List) use a larger, thicker font and are easily read. Korg MUST eventually re-do the legacy Oasys screens, or add some sort of zoom feature to make them reasonably useable
[...]

The fact that Korg used bigger fonts for the new screens means Korg are aware that the fonts are too small when the Oasys screens are ported unchanged to the smaller Kronos display. So there is hope that this issue will be fixed...
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
KapnKrunch wrote:
She didn't even see me wrestle this monster box into the house yesterday.

Now I see what's going on. She doesn't even know you have it. Laughing

A good trick is to buy more kbds. The more you have, the less she will notice a new one in the crowd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: