Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH3 Question for Kronos 88 owners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: RH3 Question for Kronos 88 owners Reply with quote

The VERY last white key on the keyboard (far right)... With the volume at 0, does that last key sound different when hitting it and letting it go? Does it seem a little bouncier to you?

I noticed it a couple nights ago. Hit and release it real quick (like when you pluck a rubber band) and see if it sounds different than all of the other keys.

Thanks,

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Subpar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: RH3 Question for Kronos 88 owners Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
The VERY last white key on the keyboard (far right)... With the volume at 0, does that last key sound different when hitting it and letting it go? Does it seem a little bouncier to you?

I noticed it a couple nights ago. Hit and release it real quick (like when you pluck a rubber band) and see if it sounds different than all of the other keys.

Thanks,

-Mc

I will check this first thing when I get back to the studio tomorrow...missing my Kronos right now.

I think I am having withdrawls....lol

Dustin
Aka Subpar
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: RH3 Question for Kronos 88 owners Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

Thanks,

-Mc

Mine does sound a bit different than the rest - a slight bit of a rattle kind of sound. I pick up the same kind of noise on the lowest white key as well.

SV
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: RH3 Question for Kronos 88 owners Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

Thanks,

-Mc

I checked my 88, and it does "sound" a wee bit noisier than the other keys, but nothing obvious. I would imagine this is due to the mechanical mounting of the keyboard, and some extra noise "coupling" due to its proximity to the edge of the frame.

To me it plays the same as the other keys, and isn't any "bouncier."

Bill
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does have a subtle extra bounce that causes a slight knock or vibration on release that's not there on any other keys. It doesn't seem to affect the produced sound when the volume is up.

Maybe it's that little sticker "RH3" that's on that key...grin.....

Chris
Flood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked my 88 and yes it does have a bit of a 'rattle' effect on that key that no other keys have.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for checking. I wanted to see if it was just me but it is kind of what I assumed. It's working as designed and plays fine.

As far as the RH3, with the exception of my upright piano, this is the first weighted keyboard I've purchased and I hate to admit that my fingers, wrists, arms and even shoulders hurt from playing so much on it (and ONLY playing semi-weighteds for years). *BUT* after only a day or so I'm pretty used to it and am SO glad I was "forced" to buy the 88. I can't do machine gun, Billy Joel type stuff that I could do on the semi-weighted keyboards, but I can do everything else on it. And because of the Kronos' power and flexibility, I'm only going to keep my Kronos, M50 (the greatest keyboard ever for taking to band practice) and my RADIAS. I'm going to dump my M3 w/ EXB-RADIAS and Triton Pro w/ EXB-MOSS with no regrets. I will never use them again.

Thanks again guys for the feedback and seriously, thanks Korg for NOT giving me a semi-weighted option beyond 61 keys.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
drchris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also my first fully weighted keyboard, and I too am very happy with it. I have played a Yamaha in the past that I didn't like nearly as much. I've been using an AKAI MPK49 for a while and although it's semi-weighted, it is more firm that many semi-weighted keyboards and I'm not finding too much "breaking in" for my hands.

A couple of weeks ago I was tempted to go on and get the 61, and (at least for my needs) I'm super glad that I waited. I love having the full width of the keyboard, and I love the feel of the keys.

+1 for the 88!

Chris
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that I ordered the 88 with a bit of dread. After playing this baby, however, I am so glad I did. After years of playing semi/non-weighted keyboards, it feels so good to be able to "dig in" to the Kronos. I feel as if my playing "dynamic range" has been doubled. And the full width is simply liberating.

As McHale mentioned, the RH3 doesn't respond quickly enough for the rapid machine gun technique, but that's it. Gissandos, trills, rapid scales, and everything else work great.

Bill
shap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
I'm SO glad I was "forced" to buy the 88. I can't do machine gun, Billy Joel type stuff that I could do on the semi-weighted keyboards, but I can do everything else on it. And because of the Kronos' power and flexibility, I'm only going to keep my Kronos, M50 (the greatest keyboard ever for taking to band practice) and my RADIAS.

Two thoughts:

1. If brass is important to you, load the "extras" on the KRONOS and compare them to MOSS before you give that up. I don't have MOSS, but some people here really like those.

2. Will that leave you with something that has synth action to use as a controller? If not, does that matter to you? I like the V-Synth GT for its own sake, but it has the nice side benefit of giving me a synth action for some things.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: