Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperately needed "Set List" feature needed
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Desperately needed "Set List" feature needed Reply with quote

On the EQ page, would it be possible to add a "Global Transpose" function for each individual set list? I have different set lists for different groups I play with and some tune down, some don't. Once in a great while, I forget to transpose... yikes!

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there, with my main band we do "Vehicle" in the original key of Eb, but some times I play with another guitarist whop plays it in E. I have another group which has quite a few songs that change key two or three times within one song.

I think the best thing to do is use the notes in the set list function, but I've heard the font is pretty small.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
sani

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how will a global transpose help?
You can still forget by how much does some of your different groups transpose the song!
I was using the RD700GX as my main axe for my shows. Since it is limited in the number of setups (just 100), I used the transpose button instead of creating new setups for the different tunes.
Then it happens that you forget to turn the transpose off on the next setup.
That's yikes multiplied by hundred. Embarassed
I'd rather invest some time and home and prepare the setups/combinations with transpose for the different tunes. No further pushing and thinking on stage. Just load the pcg for respective band.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do keyboard players need to transpose (i.e., detune)?

Guitarists/Bassists need to do so because some songs require them to play open strings. On keyboards every note is already there.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try playing solos that Jens Johansson played in Stratovarius (which uses Eb tuning on guitars, hence Jens transposed -1) without transpose and you're my new god.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Why do keyboard players need to transpose (i.e., detune)?

Guitarists/Bassists need to do so because some songs require them to play open strings. On keyboards every note is already there.

There can be all kinds of reasons for it. The reasons I use for transpose are:
- I already know a song from an earlier band but the current band plays it in another tone. I don''t like to change it because it''s already in my head.
- I learnt a song but while in the rehearsal room we find out or decide later to transpose it because it is better for the singer.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would more appreciate to have also a transpose per combi. Sometimes I need to transpose it and have to go through all 16 timbres in a combi to change them all equally.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try playing solos that Jens Johansson played in Stratovarius (which uses Eb tuning on guitars, hence Jens transposed -1) without transpose and you're my new god.

Then, there are way too may gods for you. Even most difficult keyboard solos in rock/pop are very very easy compared with classic piano pieces (e.g., Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Rachmaninov, etc.). But I do understand not everyone is classically trained.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you obviously like boasting.

But even IF you are a classically trained master player, your evaluation concerning the transition function in a modern workstation would be of ZERO interest for any modern rock, jazz, r&b or whatnot player. Any of us can choose to transpose whatever way he or she likes, by playing the other key or by using a transpose function.

Get over it: you just don't have to tell any of us how we like keyboards to work when and in which context and for what reason. Your view is nothing but one among many here.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the need for a transpose in Set List, but I don't think a Global one (for the whole set list) is the best way. There should be a transpose PER SLOT that transpose all timbres in a combi or seq (except drums of course), and IMPORTANT: without altering split points. Wink

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would support transpose per patch. It obviously makes the feature much more flexible.

AND I could learn everything in the key of C and transpose as needed. Smile
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
I agree with the need for a transpose in Set List, but I don't think a Global one (for the whole set list) is the best way. There should be a transpose PER SLOT that transpose all timbres in a combi or seq (except drums of course), and IMPORTANT: without altering split points. Wink

Completely agree with this ... and ignore drum timbres of course (you don't want to transpose these).

sani

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Even most difficult keyboard solos in rock/pop are very very easy compared with classic piano pieces (e.g., Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Rachmaninov, etc.). But I do understand not everyone is classically trained.

Classically trained or not, your comparison fails completely. You don't play the same classical pieces in different tunes. I doubt that most classical trained players could for example play an Etude from Chopin in a different tune without further exercising and preparing.
Besides that, playing classical pieces on the piano/harpsicord/organ is not the same as playing pop/rock tunes on a keyboard. There are technical limitations on the keyboard, not related to your technical playing skill in any way.
For example, you create a combination and have three keyboard zones for three different sounds which are split across the keyboard. You set the split points in a way that everything can be played in the respective zone for that song in the original tune. Now, playing a song in a different tune could lead to the problem that some of the keys which you need for one zone are part of another zone because you play the song in a different tune.
So, even a skilled keyboard player who is able to play in any tune could face this practical problem.
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only downside with a set-list transpose is if you're using samples in a combi/prog.

They won't get transposed. (especially if using samples in single keyzones) I've got a few songs in setlists that when transferring from Mainstage, I forgot to transpose.

Not a major issue, but it still involves going into the program to change sample tuning.
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my own wish for the set list feature. I'd love to see the long text description that is shown under the program name in each set list entry get it's own tab and be shown in a large font. With this option, you'd be able to make "cheat sheet" notes or reminders about the patch, or have a patch for each song and have reminders about the chord progressions or whatever aide memoires you like. If shown in a large font, this would be easily readable on stage. It's be great if it had basic formatting (bold/underline/TAB/font size change etc..) but at the very least allow carriage returns for some basic formatting of your reminder notes. An onscreen button on either side of the new tab to step forwards or backwards by one setlist slot would be a great addition too.

If you were doing a show with a fixed set-list, imagine what a boon it'd be to be able to step through the songs one by one and have your important reminders right there on screen to guide you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: