Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperately needed "Set List" feature needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
I'll add my own wish for the set list feature. I'd love to see the long text description that is shown under the program name in each set list entry get it's own tab and be shown in a large font. With this option, you'd be able to make "cheat sheet" notes or reminders about the patch, or have a patch for each song and have reminders about the chord progressions or whatever aide memoires you like. If shown in a large font, this would be easily readable on stage. It's be great if it had basic formatting (bold/underline/TAB/font size change etc..) but at the very least allow carriage returns for some basic formatting of your reminder notes. An onscreen button on either side of the new tab to step forwards or backwards by one setlist slot would be a great addition too.

If you were doing a show with a fixed set-list, imagine what a boon it'd be to be able to step through the songs one by one and have your important reminders right there on screen to guide you.

I also would like this option. I haven't a Kronos so I don't know how easy it is to read it but it would be nice to have the text description on a full screen ... and if needed maybe with a scroll bar (or even better: by pressing up/down to scroll or using the dial). It would be even more better to scroll by using a CC message (so I can use a foot switch on my Behringer or for others the generic foot switch).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would also be nice to be able to "click" around your text line - going back and forwards using the arrow keys is rather tiresome!
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
'll add my own wish for the set list feature. I'd love to see the long text description that is shown under the program name in each set list entry get it's own tab and be shown in a large font. With this option, you'd be able to make "cheat sheet" notes or reminders about the patch, or have a patch for each song and have reminders about the chord progressions or whatever aide memoires you like. If shown in a large font, this would be easily readable on stage. It's be great if it had basic formatting (bold/underline/TAB/font size change etc..) but at the very least allow carriage returns for some basic formatting of your reminder notes. An onscreen button on either side of the new tab to step forwards or backwards by one setlist slot would be a great addition too.

If you were doing a show with a fixed set-list, imagine what a boon it'd be to be able to step through the songs one by one and have your important reminders right there on screen to guide you.

+1

I don't find the text particularly difficult to read, but bigger would be better.

ScoobyDoo555 wrote:
It would also be nice to be able to "click" around your text line - going back and forwards using the arrow keys is rather tiresome!

+1

I've done a lot of clicking using trial and error to insert the right number of spaces for a line break.

Last edited by dangerousdave on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
I agree with the need for a transpose in Set List, but I don't think a Global one (for the whole set list) is the best way. There should be a transpose PER SLOT that transpose all timbres in a combi or seq (except drums of course), and IMPORTANT: without altering split points. Wink

+1 on that
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
I'll add my own wish for the set list feature. I'd love to see the long text description that is shown under the program name in each set list entry get it's own tab and be shown in a large font. With this option, you'd be able to make "cheat sheet" notes or reminders about the patch, or have a patch for each song and have reminders about the chord progressions or whatever aide memoires you like. If shown in a large font, this would be easily readable on stage. It's be great if it had basic formatting (bold/underline/TAB/font size change etc..) but at the very least allow carriage returns for some basic formatting of your reminder notes. An onscreen button on either side of the new tab to step forwards or backwards by one setlist slot would be a great addition too.

This gets back to something I said early on... it would be great to be able to display a PDF (or jpeg, whatever) file associated with each slot. That would be much more flexible than only being able to display the slot text bigger. You could bring over lyric pages that are already on your computer; you could type things using a real keyboard instead of the Kronos screen keyboard; you could bring in sheet music; you could bring in hand-written notes that easily show superscripts, accidentals, repeat bars, arrows, whatever kind of notation and formatting you'd want.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a TEMPO setting PER SLOT. That way similar patches can be used for different songs. This would make arpegiations, Karma, effects and the Drum Track (metronome, etc...) the correct tempo for that song.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
There should be a TEMPO setting PER SLOT. That way similar patches can be used for different songs. This would make arpegiations, Karma, effects and the Drum Track (metronome, etc...) the correct tempo for that song.

good point. I ran into this just over the weekend...
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
DaveBoulden wrote:
I'll add my own wish for the set list feature. I'd love to see the long text description that is shown under the program name in each set list entry get it's own tab and be shown in a large font. {.. snip ..}.

You could bring over lyric pages that are already on your computer; you could type things using a real keyboard instead of the Kronos screen keyboard; you could bring in sheet music; you could bring in hand-written notes that easily show superscripts, accidentals, repeat bars, arrows, whatever kind of notation and formatting you'd want.

Yes, PDF would be excellent, but rather unlikely. Simply formatted text would be a good compromise. As you say, definitely the option to import the text from a USB thumb drive or connected computer!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveBoulden wrote:
Scott wrote:
DaveBoulden wrote:
I'll add my own wish for the set list feature. I'd love to see the long text description that is shown under the program name in each set list entry get it's own tab and be shown in a large font. {.. snip ..}.

You could bring over lyric pages that are already on your computer; you could type things using a real keyboard instead of the Kronos screen keyboard; you could bring in sheet music; you could bring in hand-written notes that easily show superscripts, accidentals, repeat bars, arrows, whatever kind of notation and formatting you'd want.

Yes, PDF would be excellent, but rather unlikely. Simply formatted text would be a good compromise. As you say, definitely the option to import the text from a USB thumb drive or connected computer!

I assume the editor will have the feature to type descriptions on a computer and send it to the Kronos.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightshift

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have another idea about a very handy feature regarding setlist mode and sequences in particular. A "lock" feature which is activated while a sequence is running would be very useful. The "lock" should prevent the user from accidently changing the setlist slot to another sequence/prog/combi while a song is still running.
When using backing tracks live it would be horrible to accidently switch to another slot and so stopping the backing in the middle of the song. The activated "lock" on the other hand should allow you to switch to slots with the same sequence, so that you can change sounds played on the keyboard.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knightshift wrote:
Hi, I have another idea about a very handy feature regarding setlist mode and sequences in particular. A "lock" feature which is activated while a sequence is running would be very useful. The "lock" should prevent the user from accidently changing the setlist slot to another sequence/prog/combi while a song is still running.
When using backing tracks live it would be horrible to accidently switch to another slot and so stopping the backing in the middle of the song. The activated "lock" on the other hand should allow you to switch to slots with the same sequence, so that you can change sounds played on the keyboard.

Or at least a Yes/No confirmation dialog if switching from a Running sequencer set list slot.

Sort of the way Ableton Live handles it if a song is currently running and you try to load a new song. Normally it simply loads the new file. But if a sequence is running it'll prompt "Are you sure you want to stop the current sequence?"

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Knightshift

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, this would be great!
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:

Classically trained or not, your comparison fails completely. You don't play the same classical pieces in different tunes. I doubt that most classical trained players could for example play an Etude from Chopin in a different tune without further exercising and preparing.
Besides that, playing classical pieces on the piano/harpsicord/organ is not the same as playing pop/rock tunes on a keyboard. There are technical limitations on the keyboard, not related to your technical playing skill in any way.
So, even a skilled keyboard player who is able to play in any tune could face this practical problem.

You're absolutely right about almost everything, my friend Smile I mean, you just can't play organ stuff on a piano. It's not a technical thing mostly, it's just that the feeling isn't there and there are certain limitations on that.

On the other hand, I can tell you from personal experience that playing classical pieces in different keys is very much possible. Done that, many, many times. And it absolutely takes time. But it's doable. For example, before graduating piano, in half an hour I was able to play the Chopin "Harp" Etude (originally in Ab major) halfway through in A major. It's actually easier to play it in A major. Furthermore, it would be even easier to play it in E major. Etc. I used to do this for fun.

However, relating transposing to classical pieces and technique and factually stating that it's very similar to rock-jazz-or-any-type of soloing is way off mark in my book. Because it just isn't. If you're classically trained, you're probably gonna be able to do it with much more ease - in terms of technique, anyways.

On a different note, getting a grip on jazz-rock-alike soloing if you're classically trained can be a PITA as well. Most of the classical music knows terms like "accelerando" and "ritardando", but you will have a hard time tracking down a classical tune where you should play "behind" or "ahead" of beat, basical principles of rock and jazz (in no particular order). It takes time to "free your mind" from the classical structure in order to get into "another structure" of these different types of music. So classical training can hinder that, a lot, as well. Amongst other things.

Sorry to go away from the topic at hand, guys.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
On the other hand, I can tell you from personal experience that playing classical pieces in different keys is very much possible. Done that, many, many times. And it absolutely takes time. But it's doable.

In a sense, anything anyone has ever done is "doable" but that doesn't mean that everyone wants (or even has the ability) to do it. If there's a flute part in a song, I suppose I could learn it on flute... with enough time, it would be doable. But it is much more sensible for me to hit a button on my keyboard and have it sound like a flute.

Moreover, the biggest issue is, as you said, it takes time. This is the real problem for live performers. You're at a gig, and a friend of the band comes up and asks to sing a song. You know it, but s/he does it in a different key. Depending on the complexity of the song and the abilities of the player, there is a reasonable likelihood that the keyboardist will not be able to transpose it in the fly. This is where transpose buttons come in awfully handy. Or maybe your singer is having a rough night, and there's a tough song coming up in the set list (or one has been requested by the audience), and s/he asks you to drop it a whole step. Or you're last-minute subbing for someone on a gig, and you find that they do some songs you know in different keys. Etc.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:
Try playing solos that Jens Johansson played in Stratovarius (which uses Eb tuning on guitars, hence Jens transposed -1) without transpose and you're my new god.

Then, there are way too may gods for you. Even most difficult keyboard solos in rock/pop are very very easy compared with classic piano pieces (e.g., Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Rachmaninov, etc.). But I do understand not everyone is classically trained.

As a classically trained pianist, I think you are wrong. Not only that, but I think you missed the point completely.

Take any song that you find difficult. Now try playing that same song, on the fly, in a key a half step down. Let me know how that works out for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: