Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For Kronos OWNERS: Are you genuinely happy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with your Kronos?
Hell Yes ! It exceeds my expectations ! :-)
57%
 57%  [ 33 ]
It's about as good as I thought it would be ;-)
29%
 29%  [ 17 ]
I am not sure yet - too early to tell... :-|
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
I am not as impressed as I'd hoped to be :-(
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
I don't like it and made a mistake :-<
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 57

jroujinsky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I sampled Particles & Waves combi on Oasys and Kronos and listened to the resulting wave files on Kronos.
I do not know if it represents correctly the test, but I did it after noticing sound difference while listening to both connected to monitors.
I wanted to eliminate effect of amplifier or other circuits.

I do not think that it has very much practical meaning....
Even if I knew that there will be such a difference I would still buy the Kronos! It sounds emazing !
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is one excellent keyboard workstation, I was a little overwhelmed by the sound but after a few days of working with it, I am start to get control of it.

I do miss the Pads of the M3, I purchased the PadKontrol, but I don't know how to assign Chords (just individual notes), it may not be possible, (Update for the PadKontrol to work with Kronos would be great, hint, hint Korg.), Although I am not real thrilled about the Pad mode on the screen, I wish you could change programs/combi's from this screen.

While it hard to read the captions over the buttons (in a dark room) I find I useally hit the correct one. The Font on the screen is a little small for my eyes (I wear reading glasses when editing) I don't think this would be a problem live as everything should be programmed and confirgured for the gig.

I sure do love the way the sound/effects remains after selecting a new patch.

I was not real happy with the sound dynamics, until I adjusted the touch sensitivity.

Much like any high performance instrument, it takes time to master and control it effectively.

I started off satisfied with the Kronos, but I am becoming delighted as I learn how to control it. The Kronos (even the 61 key version) presents lots of control and the sounds are highly enfluences by your playing style. Unlike the Motif XF or Fantom G, where they sound the same regardless. (PS this is a compliment)
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
I don't know how to assign Chords (just individual notes), it may not be possible, (Update for the PadKontrol to work with Kronos would be great, hint, hint Korg.),

You can assign custom chord registrations on the very same screen that you play the virtual "pads" onscreen. Within each "pad" is the selection for assigning the notes of a chord.

padKontrol already does work with Kronos, via standard midi DIN jacks. Perhaps you meant the nanopad?
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Rockitman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Kronos 73 Reply with quote

I love the new Kronos 73. It sounds great and looks great in my studio.
I bought the 73 because I thought that I might take it on some gigs.
Now, I'm not so sure. I might like to keep it shiny and new and not road worn. So the studio for now. I am glad that it has the Cx-3 organ as well as the great pianos. I have the M3 and the newer CX-3 organ, and it is great to have that all in one keyboard. I have a Kontrol49 and I am going to connect that for pads, and keys to use for the organ sounds.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF Said:

padKontrol already does work with Kronos, via standard midi DIN jacks. Perhaps you meant the nanopad?

JPWC replies

Yes, the Pad Kontrol works fine with the Kronos, but I can only send single/individual notes from the PadKontrol and not 3-6 note chords.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
I am somewhat confused. Two people have mentioned that they thought OASYS sounds better but neither have elaborated. Kronos and OASYS share the same architecture and D/A converters, etc., so that being the case, I am really interested in how such a conclusion was drawn. I am not asking this to be a pain, just for curiosity's sake as I never owned an OASYS.

Of the two people who said that, only one still has the OASYS to make a direct comparison. Anyone who says "I don't have the OASYS any more, but in my memory it sounded better" has no factual basis for making that statement, with all due respect.

I have both the OASYS and the Kronos here, side by side, operating at the same time, and I simply cannot detect any difference in the sound. And I'm working on the conversion of one of our sets of combis, and I'm specifically looking for them to sound identical - and they do.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:

Yes, the Pad Kontrol works fine with the Kronos, but I can only send single/individual notes from the PadKontrol and not 3-6 note chords.

The "pads" on the Kronos work exactly the same as the M3. They can each store up to 8 note chords. Play a chord on the keyboard, go to the pads page, turn on the Chord Assign button at the top, and touch a pad - there, you've assigned a chord.

Now, you can trigger that up-to-8-note chord with a single note from the PadKontrol, through the use of the Global > Controllers page.

JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr "Good" Karma.

I just read through this in the manual (while on a restroom break, here at work).

In other words.

You can assign an external note to each pad and trigger the pad via single notes through midi from the PadKontrol. And you can assign various note(s) or Chords to the Pad from within the Kronos.

(this is all described on pages 32/33 in Operations Guide)

One cool feature of Kronos, you can assign the external notes to be at the extremes of the midi note range, this would allow you to play the keyboard on the Kronos normally and also use the Pads without overlap, as the notes assigned to Pads will not trigger sounds, only the Kronos pads.

I love this Kronos more everyday!

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Vlad_77 wrote:
I am somewhat confused. Two people have mentioned that they thought OASYS sounds better but neither have elaborated. Kronos and OASYS share the same architecture and D/A converters, etc., so that being the case, I am really interested in how such a conclusion was drawn. I am not asking this to be a pain, just for curiosity's sake as I never owned an OASYS.

Of the two people who said that, only one still has the OASYS to make a direct comparison. Anyone who says "I don't have the OASYS any more, but in my memory it sounded better" has no factual basis for making that statement, with all due respect.

I have both the OASYS and the Kronos here, side by side, operating at the same time, and I simply cannot detect any difference in the sound. And I'm working on the conversion of one of our sets of combis, and I'm specifically looking for them to sound identical - and they do.

or this is more evidence that age does not improve the memory of some
when posting on the internet
Smile
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the best board to date at its price range, this board is a monster, you won't go wrong.
jemkeys25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey stephen, is there any way you can convert the program "towards the sun" from the M3 with karma and all, to work on the kronos?
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
(while on a restroom break, here at work).

Too much information!
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the advice above and spending 5 minutes figuring out the PadKONTROL.

I am happy to report the Pads function just like the M3.

Triggering chords from the PadKontrol, using Karma and the drums, all while playing melody with the right hand.

This is one great keyboard!

Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm intrigued to know who the two users are... "I don't like it and made a mistake"

They didn't even bother to explain why Rolling Eyes

Spent yesterday creating some of my favourite patches on the Odyssey, then trying to match them with AL-1, with great results apart from one patch which needed S&H, but I'm getting round that with the step sequencer, which is a stunning addition - It's 1977 all over again.

The ARP produces some evil sounds when you use both Sync and Ring Mod - Both the G2 and Ion can get a similar effect but with heavy aliasing (almost unusable)... the Kronos was clean as a whistle Very Happy

Two thumbs up and a big grin for the AL-1... time to move onto MOD-7.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that upgrading from a M3 to Kronos is worthwhile, owning an M50 myself ... and I miss aftertouch on the M50 (of course it's a lot cheaper).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: