Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Glitch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Possible Glitch? Reply with quote

During a gig last Saturday I twice had the experience of the patch I was playing suddenly changing tone---becoming soft and muted sounding as if somebody had cranked down the cutoff filter. I called up the patch again on the Setlist and it was fine. As this was happening in the middle of a song during a gig, I didn't have time to hunt down the cause.

COULD have been related to the volume pedal I have hooked up to the assignable pedal jack, but it didn't sound like just the volume decreasing--the tone changed as well. I was playing outside in the shade and it was about 85 degrees out, so I don't think it would have been a heat issue.

I'll have to spend some more time with the board to see if it happens again, but it scared me a bit.

Anyone else experience anything similar?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like you touched an active vector joystick.
Check with that preset if vector movement has an effect.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call! I didn't think of that! (I don't know why because the thought of that possibly happening is something I feared.)

I don't exactly remember which patches it happened on now, but if it happens again, that will be the first thing I check. I HOPE that's all it is.

Next step will be to go through my patches and disable the vector when I don't need it.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experience, but not on a gig.
I recorded a track and on playback, the patch got very soft as if I was playing with the vector.
I reset it and it was ok and then it happened after playback a few times. No messages were recorded?
madbeatzyo111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds similar to an issue reported in the M3 forum:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63246

It appears to be caused by joystick drift since it can be eliminated by disabling the controller in the patch. As to the root cause, the joystick may not be zeroing itself properly, as is often the case with joysticks in general. Typically there should be a way to re-calibrate it, but I'm not sure if it's possible on the Kronos.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madbeatzyo111 wrote:
This sounds similar to an issue reported in the M3 forum:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63246

It appears to be caused by joystick drift since it can be eliminated by disabling the controller in the patch. As to the root cause, the joystick may not be zeroing itself properly, as is often the case with joysticks in general. Typically there should be a way to re-calibrate it, but I'm not sure if it's possible on the Kronos.

As far as I know, the vector joystick doesn't center automatically (altough it might have a zero/dead spot in the center). But it is high likely that the joystick was not in the center causing a filter change.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before playback of the track, I reset the vector each time.
What was strange is that it was erratic. Playback good and then after awhile not good..
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot here....but is it possible that aftertouch is set to filter cutoff or filter envelope? That might cause in intermittent issue depending on how you are playing each time.

also the OP mentioned a volume pedal....are you sure it was plugged into the right jack on the back of the K?
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions, but it wouldn't be either of those. No aftertouch set to filter cutoff and the pedal was plugged in properly. Although it's a Yamaha FC7. Maybe not the best pedal to be using on the Kronos? Although I can't really see what the pedal itself would have to do with it.

At this point I'm going with vector control and a sloppy left hand.

But it initially aroused my suspicion because I've recently developed a similar issue on my old Motif classic---patches will just sort of "drift" on their own and it sounded very similar.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues with other equipment where physical vibrations from the sound system or hard playing have caused knobs or sliders to send off their values. If the system doesn't implement a 'catch' based value positioning system it can get messy.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly a joystick issue. It only happened to me once at the last gig when I KNOW I bumped the stick.

One little problem with this board: it's hard to jump for the volume knob in a hurry (especially in my setup where I have it under another board) without hitting the joystick on the way there.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps use a volume pedal? In a live show...the security of your performance (sans any technical errors) is paramount. Perhaps a pedal can resolve this concern for you and ensure no such gaff.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
keywhiz61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Perhaps use a volume pedal? In a live show...the security of your performance (sans any technical errors) is paramount. Perhaps a pedal can resolve this concern for you and ensure no such gaff.

I do use a volume pedal. I use the volume knob to adjust a "max" volume in relation to the pedal, and it happened during making that adjustment.

Mostly, just gotta learn to "feel" the board better. I'm sure in a few months time my hand will be trained to instinctively bypass the joystick on the way to the volume knob (or some other near-by control).
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, that is one of the many reasons I always prefer the dual pitch/mod wheel type to any form of joy stick. The wheels on my Virus TI are the best! Not to mention the level of control you can get with them, including letting the mod wheel sit at a level as desired (without any hold buttons, etc, ala Korg). I can just PLAY them better....and have no such issues as you describe.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Ultimately, that is one of the many reasons I always prefer the dual pitch/mod wheel type to any form of joy stick. The wheels on my Virus TI are the best! Not to mention the level of control you can get with them, including letting the mod wheel sit at a level as desired (without any hold buttons, etc, ala Korg). I can just PLAY them better....and have no such issues as you describe.

Wheels are great for pads on the Virus TI.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: