Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

App finished
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panrixx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand now. Thanks.

Would the reading of these smaller PCG files be something that can be accomodated for with a small amount of re-programming?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
OK, I understand now. Thanks.

Would the reading of these smaller PCG files be something that can be accomodated for with a small amount of re-programming?

It will take quite some time (meaning spare free time), but foremost, making a list of only a small part would not be that useful. On the other hand, it would be nice to check what the contents of a (small) PCG file are.

The main reason I made it was to check which programs were used by which combis/set lists so it is easy to check which programs can be removed/destroyed/altered without ruining combis/set list slots. And to add the alphabetically sorted lists was fairly easy.

If you want to use smaller PCGs, you can use the following work around: load the small PCG in the kronos. Save the complete PCG back to another file. Read this complete file in the application. Downside is that you cannot see what really is the content of the smaller PCG but you get at least the result after loading the small PCG (which is probably what you want).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel,

Still awaiting news on my K88 delivery Sad

Anyway, I downloaded Robinhood's backup PCG, from the "TO ALL KRONOS OWNERS!!! (trying to confirm bug)" thread. Tested your app using this file and it works brilliantly.

Great work and such a useful application. You are a star.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
Michel,

Still awaiting news on my K88 delivery Sad

Anyway, I downloaded Robinhood's backup PCG, from the "TO ALL KRONOS OWNERS!!! (trying to confirm bug)" thread. Tested your app using this file and it works brilliantly.

Great work and such a useful application. You are a star.

Thanks for the compliment and enjoy the Kronos!

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from bus weekend and tested your app:
Works great and is VERY helpful for organizing Kronos patches!

Thanks a lot!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people requested the source code: please read this completely (others can read it too of course).

About 10-15 people have requested the application and several of them also the code.

Some wanted to use the code for their own goods (PCG reading for additional functionality) and some want to port it to the Mac.

If people are interested in the program and/or code, just let me know. It's for free and unlicensed. However, if you use parts in your code, please put my name somewhere for the time I spend for it.

Maybe it is an idea to exchange email addresses so those people can help others or maybe even cooperate on certain parts. I don't want to email other people's email addresses so tomorrow I will try to send everybody who had the code a mail if they want their email address to be shared with other requesters of the source code. If people requesting the code read this, you can already respond if you want your email address to be shared with others or not. I will be on a short vacation from Friday evening of 4-5 days so there might be a slight delay.

Because I did not expect so many positive reactions (thank you all for them), maybe it's best if I spend a little more time to it to clean up the code and/or add more synths supporting. (Tough I do not promise anything yet).

For the internals of the code:
- it is written in Visual Studio, C# 4.0, WPF
- the UI is split from the data, only the UI uses WPF so porting to other frameworks should not be so much trouble (only some functionalities are in the UI)
- the framework for holding the data (set lists, combis, programs etc) is implemented using a (sort of) abstract factory design pattern, making it reasonably easy to add more PCGs supported (like Oasys, but Extreme, M50 etc ... upto the good old M1 probably). Reasonably easy means still some time .. programming costs time.
- the PCG reader is not that beautiful internally, since I did not have the proper documents. That's also the reason it can only read full PCGs (and having non full PCGs would not that be useful too).

Thanks again for all the positive words and I'm glad I could help people with this app. Hopefully when I have a Kronos I can use it myself too but I learnt already more of C# while writing it (which was one of my personal goals to write it beside helping you a little ... and after 'bragging a little' I could write the app within a week or so).

Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers, you might try github or codeplex or something like that. Just a thought. Happy programming!
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:
michelkeijzers, you might try github or codeplex or something like that. Just a thought. Happy programming!

Thanks for the advice, currently I'm using locally git (which works well).

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to continue development for my tool (at least for a while), tough in August I have reasonably limited time.

What I want to do is:
- cleanup the code (reason is that several people want to use my code as starting point or for conversion to other platforms, like Mac).
- making the PCG reader supporting for more synths, at least the Oasys
- making the app / UI supporting for more synths, at least the Oasys (meaning removal of set list feature/options).
- adding a bit more robustness
- maybe even partly PCGs.

If people have ideas, tips or other improvements they like to see except the above, please let me know.

Teh Mick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeroesque wrote:

I approve, you should setup a public github where we should be able to all contribute Smile
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Mick wrote:
Zeroesque wrote:

I approve, you should setup a public github where we should be able to all contribute Smile

Seems like a good idea, however I first want to change the inside structure of the PCG reader (otherwise putting back changes will be almost impossible).

EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest upon loading a PCG, only highlight the included banks. Exception error occurs if you load a PCG that was only ... say ... Bank U-C and all banks were checked when generating a report.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
May I suggest upon loading a PCG, only highlight the included banks. Exception error occurs if you load a PCG that was only ... say ... Bank U-C and all banks were checked when generating a report.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it can be even a little better:
- when loading a PCG it is checked if it is a Kronos PCG otherwise showing an error.
- Banks available in the PCG can be either checked or unchecked.
- Banks not available in the PCG always stay disabled (grey and unselected, cannot be selected).

I don't like to generate exceptions if there is a good way to prevent them.

Probably I will need some more PCG files (consisting of different elements, like one program bank, all program banks, one combi bank, all or a set of combi banks, with/without global etc).

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know the app only works for Kronos. However, I want to spend some extra time and to make the PCG reader more flexible I need the default.pcg file from the Oasys, i.e. the one that contains all program banks, all combi banks and the global section that comes with the Oasys (I assume).

Can somebody please zip the file and email it to me? I gladly will give my email address (but it's better not to write it down here). So please if you want to help me, pm me.

Thanks in advance.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some extra time and it looks like now also shorter PCG Kronos files can be read. However, I only tried one (alpatchbank.pcg) and it seems to work. However I don't have a Kronos myself so I need to test it with multiple files.

Also the program works half for Oasys files. Only the patch list (not the program usage list). I need to spend more time to make support for that too.

I will send the app the new version soon to all who have earlier requested the app.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: