Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if a there is a blackout while the K is streaming?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree that an UPS is the best (and possibly only) solution, but as others already mentioned, I don't like the idea of dragging such a big device always with me while probably never used.

Dutch current works quite well, I only had a blackout only once and in bars 2 times (in about 20 years). But yes, there's always a chance it happens on day 1 I have a Kronos.

For burnouts on stage that's another problem. I have to admit the Kronos will maybe be my only source, but I might make a backup on the Triton and having only 1 keyboard available during those 2 minutes the Kronos starts up ... that would be not ideal but in emergencies possible.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree that an UPS is the best (and possibly only) solution, but as others already mentioned, I don't like the idea of dragging such a big device always with me while probably never used.

Dutch current works quite well, I only had a blackout only once and in bars 2 times (in about 20 years). But yes, there's always a chance it happens on day 1 I have a Kronos.

For burnouts on stage that's another problem. I have to admit the Kronos will maybe be my only source, but I might make a backup on the Triton and having only 1 keyboard available during those 2 minutes the Kronos starts up ... that would be not ideal but in emergencies possible.

Edit: I'm going to start a poll Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=407234#407234

(btw, I don't want to break off discussion here).

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
It's about 20% of my total gear I need on stage. For something I probably never really need.

I don't use a UPS in the studio or playing live BUT I do go through an APC power conditioner/voltage regulator. I'd say about half the places we play (VERY typical of outdoor shows) have under current or over current issues. One live show I played had power issues which made my Triton unusable. I had to power it off and use my M50 only, which apparently doesn't draw as much power or at least handles it better.

Here's what I use religiously at EVERY live show:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RA60/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000G5YO9W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DEW7TQQBB16K6N5YZ7Z
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RA60/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000G5YO9W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DEW7TQQBB16K6N5YZ7Z

This one looks cheap and not that heavy, but of course it's not a UPS. As said before I never had problems with bad voltage, except very occasionaly the fuse goes out (and all power is down). But I heard stories like you (probably in the US).

KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
MartinHines wrote:
I would not worry about it. Technically, you should never turn off any computer while its hard drive is being accessed. However, people do it all the time.

But that's for one of two reasons:

1. If the drive loses power while it's writing data, the data will not be fully written and will be corrupt.

2. If the drive loses power while reading or writing, the read/write head will be hovering over a platter and not parked. ANY movement can easily destroy that area of the platter as well as the read/write head.

NEITHER of these are an issue with an SSD drive as long as you're streaming samples.

Hi McHale -

Just a minor technical correction in your reply.

You are correct concerning #1 (data corruption), and your final point concerning the SSD, however with regard to #2, hard disk drives for years have had an automatic head parking feature when power drops below a threshold. A circuit in the drive detects an impending power failure, and uses residual capacitive energy to safely retract the heads. You can pull the plug on your PC today during full-blown disk activity, and there is zero risk of a head crash.

This idea was originally patented back in 1989 (ref: http://books.google.com/patents/about?id=jzQzAAAAEBAJ) for big, mainframe removable platter disk drives, and exists in virtually every relatively modern HDD today.

Cheers!

Bill
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
hard disk drives for years have had an automatic head parking feature when power drops below a threshold. A circuit in the drive detects an impending power failure, and uses residual capacitive energy to safely retract the heads. You can pull the plug on your PC today during full-blown disk activity, and there is zero risk of a head crash.

This idea was originally patented back in 1989 (ref: http://books.google.com/patents/about?id=jzQzAAAAEBAJ) for big, mainframe removable platter disk drives, and exists in virtually every relatively modern HDD today.

Cheers!

Bill

COOL. I didn't know that. Do *ALL* HD's (laptop, desktop, SATA, ATA) feature that since 1989 or just that they have the technology?

Cool none the less. Thanks for the info!

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
EnjoyRC wrote:
UPS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101381

Only 15 lbs.

It's about 20% of my total gear I need on stage. For something I probably never really need.

Be careful...Make sure your UPS is also a Voltage Regulator (AVR) like the unit displayed above. Not all UPS units have this feature. The AVR will ensure your voltage is maintained at a constant level when there is peaks and dips in the voltage. I experience this quite a bit playing outdoors or overloaded drops.

This is the unit I use;
APC XS 1000

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BX1000G&tab=models

Boost Automatic Voltage Regulator.
franzlp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Furman unit below followed by the APC UPS unit. Good as gold.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PL-PLUSC

APC BR1500G BACK-UPS RS 1500 10-Outlet 1500VA/865W UPS System
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale wrote:
COOL. I didn't know that. Do *ALL* HD's (laptop, desktop, SATA, ATA) feature that since 1989 or just that they have the technology?

They all do. That's the click what you hear when power is disconnected from the HDD in operation.

However, data corruption while writing is quite a real risk (whether mechanical storage or SSD). When the file is 'not written' on a flash memory card (as mentioned earlier), that is in fact already a form of data corruption. Explanation being that OS'es do the 'housekeeping' and update allocation tables only after a file has been successfully written. This is a kind of transaction handling - there will be no pointer to a file that is not fully written, but there might be orphaned (lost) blocks, as a result.

Anyways, while corruption has a quite real chance, it is rather a very careful preventive warning from Korg. On the other hand unplugging/un-powering devices without 'safe removal' and while in operation is certainly not a cood practice that should be recommended and/or favoured.
shap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="michelkeijzers"I agree to this, however theoretically it is possible multiple blocks need to be written to be in a consistent status and if power fails between 2 a corrupt SSD might occur.[/quote]

Yes. There are tricks you can do on a hard drive (like using the spindle as a generator for the last write-back) that cannot be done on an SSD. Further, the unit of write on an SSD isn't really a block down at the bottom, so the unit of corruption can be unpredictable.

Given the ever-falling cost of a UPS, it seems a bit silly not to use one.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
[quote="michelkeijzers"I agree to this, however theoretically it is possible multiple blocks need to be written to be in a consistent status and if power fails between 2 a corrupt SSD might occur.

Yes. There are tricks you can do on a hard drive (like using the spindle as a generator for the last write-back) that cannot be done on an SSD. Further, the unit of write on an SSD isn't really a block down at the bottom, so the unit of corruption can be unpredictable.

Given the ever-falling cost of a UPS, it seems a bit silly not to use one.[/quote]

What I was talking about was more like that the changed blocks were copied to a different location. Then, by writing the block referring to the new block (see it like a folder) was copied last. If this last block is not written, everything is consistent but the last change(s) have not been performed. Otherwise everything is ok. This works assuming 1 block write can be done in an atomic action, but I am not an expert with ssd.

About the cost of a UPS: that is not a problem, but dragging it to me each gig and plugging it in every time (costs some time).

orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapnKrunch wrote:
McHale wrote:
2. If the drive loses power while reading or writing, the read/write head will be hovering over a platter and not parked. ANY movement can easily destroy that area of the platter as well as the read/write head.

You are correct concerning #1 (data corruption), and your final point concerning the SSD, however with regard to #2, hard disk drives for years have had an automatic head parking feature when power drops below a threshold.
Unlike traditional HDDs, a SSD is not a electromechanical device containing spinning disks and movable read/write heads.
However, SSDs are more vulnerable to data loss with a sudden loss of power than HDDs. Here is some more background information:
http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-power-going-down.html
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: