Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos CX3 Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simajanpa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Kronos CX3 Question Reply with quote

Greeting all: I haven't visited here for quite some time....been content with my TEX76 for years now.

My Kronos question for you is, How does the CX3 sound?

Everyone raves about the pianos and such, but I haven't heard much on the organ.

Frankly I never really cared that much for the old CX3....so has it improved enough, and is it tweakable enough, like my VK8m?

I now use a Roland VK8m for my organ sounds and I love it. I love the growl and tone of the Roland.

So just wonder if anyone has used the Roland and can do a little comparison for me.

For the record I now use a Korg TEX76, Roland VK8m, Yamaha XS Rack, and a Roland Fantom XR.

The Roland XR is already on the block, but I need to know if the VK8m & TEX76 can go too. To be replaced with the Kronos. The Yammy will stay.

Doing Jazz, R&B, Blues, Rock....but not heavy stuff like Deep Purple.

Thanks
Paul
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos CX3 Question Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
Greeting all: I haven't visited here for quite some time....been content with my TEX76 for years now.

My Kronos question for you is, How does the CX3 sound?

Everyone raves about the pianos and such, but I haven't heard much on the organ.

Frankly I never really cared that much for the old CX3....so has it improved enough, and is it tweakable enough, like my VK8m?

Thanks
Paul

I don't know if the CX3 has really improved, I think only on details.

And if you search on youtube for CX3 you can find lots of videos.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
simajanpa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply: I have been searching around this forum since I posted this, and have yet to find a comparason to the VK8m.

Some say that the CX3 is very tweakable though, and you should be able to get a good sound from it with a little time spent.

The Leslie sim on the Roland is top shelf for live work and especially recording. I just gave up my Hammond M3 and gorgeous Leslie145 because I was getting a comperable sound from the VK8m.

So just wondering still if I can do the same with the Kronos/CX3.

Paul
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
Thanks for the reply: I have been searching around this forum since I posted this, and have yet to find a comparason to the VK8m.

Some say that the CX3 is very tweakable though, and you should be able to get a good sound from it with a little time spent.

The Leslie sim on the Roland is top shelf for live work and especially recording. I just gave up my Hammond M3 and gorgeous Leslie145 because I was getting a comperable sound from the VK8m.

So just wondering still if I can do the same with the Kronos/CX3.

Paul

I don't have experience with a Roland but what I have heard of the CX3 is that the patches are not that good but not any problem with tweakability. In one of the introduction videos someone said you can even decide where the rotor should stop.

I think there are quite some parameters for the leslie simulator and the usual organ parameters (vibrato/percussion etc).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LyonsT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played it, while is isn't 'bad' it's more 'unique' is it NOT a Hammond B3 or even close the Leslie simulation leaves a lot to be desired, the whole reason I purchased the Hammond SK1 on top of the Kronos was for that very reason, it is however an ok ORGAN not Hammond sound.

I don't recommend it if you are using it heavily for the organ sound, get a real Hammond or a Hammond Suzuki Clonewheel, which now are just as good as the real thing if you ask me. the SK1 for example is just 7KG at that weight you cant complain haha
Borsini Piano Accordion
simajanpa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Kronos CX3 Reply with quote

LyonsT wrote:
I've played it, while is isn't 'bad' it's more 'unique' is it NOT a Hammond B3 or even close the Leslie simulation leaves a lot to be desired, the whole reason I purchased the Hammond SK1 on top of the Kronos was for that very reason, it is however an ok ORGAN not Hammond sound.

I don't recommend it if you are using it heavily for the organ sound, get a real Hammond or a Hammond Suzuki Clonewheel, which now are just as good as the real thing if you ask me. the SK1 for example is just 7KG at that weight you cant complain haha

Thanks for the reply, as I said I just sold a great M3 & Leslie setup because the VK8m sonically replaced it for me. Obviously I will need to demo the Kronos myself, it's such a objective thing.
I wouldn't be highly bummed if I just kept everything I own rigth now,

Paul
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the VK8m and own a CX3. I'd take the CX3 over the VK8m any day of the week.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to using the CX3 emulation so I don't have to cart my Hammond and Leslie around to gigs. I've listened to quite a few of the CX3 vids on YouTube and they sound pretty damn good. I did get a chance to play the first CX3 in a store when it first came out and I wasn't overly impressed - however, I have to take into account the amp I was using in the store. Also, the fx section on the Kronos should help to give it just the right bite I may need. I know I will be spending a lot of time getting it to work right for me and I don't plan on getting rid of my A100 until I'm positive this will work for me.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
simajanpa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
I've used the VK8m and own a CX3. I'd take the CX3 over the VK8m any day of the week.

I think the videos that i've seen portray the CX3 to be much thinner than what my VK8m sounds to my ears.

If it sounds fatter, it's when they add lots of distortion.

What exactly do you like better on the CX3?

Thankis
Paul
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simajanpa wrote:
PinkFloydDudi wrote:

I think the videos that i've seen portray the CX3 to be much thinner than what my VK8m sounds to my ears.

Thankis
Paul

I owned both side-by-side for years. My preferences are:

VK-8M: tone, chorus, overdrive
CX-3: leslie sim
simajanpa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillW wrote:
simajanpa wrote:
PinkFloydDudi wrote:

Thankis
Paul

I owned both side-by-side for years. My preferences are:

VK-8M: tone, chorus, overdrive
CX-3: leslie sim

See, that's what my ears are hearing too. Although I failed to mention that I have the SoundSide update installed and I think the Leslie sim now is pretty darn good. But that being said, I also use a VR760 at practice, and I had that hooked up to my 145 Leslie and I decided that the Leslie could go home. To me, the Roland just kicks a$$, it sounds very natural, as in, it sounds just as nice as my M3 and 145 did, on my recordings. The only thing I hate about it is that it has no footswitch for the leslie speed.

I'll just have to play it and see....simple as that.

Thanks
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: