Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Availability: Kronos/Jupiter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Availability: Kronos/Jupiter Reply with quote

I wonder which will be available to the masses first? I have been told August 15th to possibly September for the Kronos 88 I pre ordered.

Also I wonder how many will get major G.A.S. and abandon ship for the Jupiter if it is widely available before the Kronos?

What are your opinions?

Alesis Andromeda A6, Kronos 88

www.coreymast.com
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple.... wait for Kronos.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my mind is made up. I've been waiting since March so a few more weeks are not a big deal. The only comparison for me was the price point of the two units.

The J80 looks like an interesting board but I'll pick it up second hand in a few years if it is still appealing.

www.coreymast.com
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreyMast wrote:
Yeah, my mind is made up. I've been waiting since March so a few more weeks are not a big deal. The only comparison for me was the price point of the two units.

The J80 looks like an interesting board but I'll pick it up second hand in a few years if it is still appealing.

yea, I wasn't intending to *dis* the JP80....just that the Kronos is a known commodity at this point. Its fantastic, and what you get for your investment is powerful and has a voice of its own. You will not regret it, I am quite confident of that.

The JP80, OTOH, is still a bit of an unknown, and a bit of an enigma. I'm sure you would be happy with it if you bought it, in general...but then when you contemplate your $3500 (US) investment on it, you are likely to be wishing you had the Kronos...because its just so much more for your money, and does it so well, and $3500 is a lot of casheesh!

If I were you....hard as it is to be patient when you are GASing...I would wait for the sure bet, and see how JP80 develops down the line.

I cannot help but notice...Kronos is generally accepted as being a mature presentation of a couple of decades of Korg development, realized in a sleek, integrated, generally affordable package. Its sort of the mother of all Korg workstations to date, taking bits and pieces from the best of all of them and enhancing them to the latest spec. Its very "put together".

The JP80 appears more like the birth of a new concept for Roland. It has a somewhat odd set of specs, in a so called "performance board", leaves the workstation concept behind, leaves ARX and SRX behind, has a limited and somewhat unusual set of controls, no sampler or sequencer, and kind of floats between a SuperNatural sample library and a VA synth. Its definitely a new "lineage", its not Fantom lineage, or V-synth lineage, or any other Roland lineage really (albeit has bits and pieces from several of those on board).

All in all....I think its the native run of a first generation concept....that has lots of room to grow and flesh out. I suspect you will see many of the JP-80 concepts used in more refined ways in future releases from Roland. Even its price point screams unusual...its unusual for Roland's typical business model. They are known World wide for producing affordable music gear for the common man. Even their flagships of old (sans the Jupiter 8 perhaps) has typically been priced and geared towards the intermediate user, and they sell high volume of units this way. Yea I know the VPiano is the price of a yacht, but classical pianos are in a higher price range, and that is market its geared towards. Its not really a relevant comparison. A better comparison would be the Fantom G, or V-synth keyboards. All I am saying is....everything about JP80 screams of first generation experiment, more than mature refined lineage.

Don't take the risk with your investment.....go with the Ferrari (Kronos), an wait to see how the new concept from Roland develops. Consider how you are going to feel in a year if you drop the coin on a JP-80 now, and find that Roland releases a successor to the Fantom G line at a lower price point which contains some of the JP-80 components and more. Because I think something along these lines is very likely to happen. They need a product which is priced and poised to the intermediate user, so they can sell volume, and get Fantom/Kronos/Motif owners to jump on the next product cycle. The JP-80 isn't it...at $3500 and no sequencer/sampler.... its more of a niche piece, geared towards a Pro or high end user...which does not spell "volume"...which is the english translation for "Roland" lol

JMO
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Beavis28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I just happened to play the JP80 in guitar center today since this is already out in US.
And I have to say JP80 has really awesome sound.
Personally, and Honestly I had to admit JP80 is better sound than Kronos.

So, just try on Kronos61 and JP80 somewhere, and decide your mind.
I already bought K73, but I am thinking it was little bit earlier decision.
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. When looked at in a down the road perspective JP80 seems to be a risky investment. Probably best to wait for the next generation model or see what it can do on the stage in a real working environment.

www.coreymast.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: