Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and S/P DIF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arapahoe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Kronos and S/P DIF Reply with quote

The Kronos has a "litepipe" type connector for S/P DIF and my Motu 828 mk2 has an "RCA" type connector for S/P DIF???

Is there an adapter available for this situation? Is there a way around it?

I tried to just plug the optical cable from the Kronos into the ADAT section on the MK2 but I only got one channel and there was a fair amount of crackling and upleasantness. Yes I have the Motu set to 48K

any ideas?

This is just the first in what is sure to be a long line of questions about the Kronos so get ready...

Thanks!!!
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my mk3 it's possible to change the input type on the adat to optical s/pdif. This changes the cuemix at least to stereo for that input.

Have a look in the submenues of your interface or check out the Motu Audio SetUp application.

The reason for crackling when you don't do this is because of the time-slots in the multiplexing algorithm dose not align... the Motu is expecting 8 channels, not only 2...
irtehyar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For optical/coax conversion:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YYUKC0

Or, as previously mentioned you need to open the options panel for the motu device and tell it to configure that ADAT port as SPDIF.

Either way, make sure to tell the Kronos that the audio clock source is spdif instead of internal. This is somewhere in Global|Audio?
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using this for years... Works quite well.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Co2MAudio?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=Co2MAudio-CoaxOptical_Converter&SID=0&zmam=89202644&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=Co2MAudio

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
mm-pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hosa also makes one.

Regard,

MM
franzlp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one I use.... It works great and you're not paying crazy prices.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos and S/P DIF Reply with quote

arapahoe wrote:

I tried to just plug the optical cable from the Kronos into the ADAT section on the MK2 but I only got one channel and there was a fair amount of crackling and upleasantness. Yes I have the Motu set to 48K

any ideas?

Thanks!!!

I think you should check the Set Mode in your 828.. because your ADAT is configurable to Optical S/PDID.
Which means you don't need any converter. This is a quote from Sound On Sound:

The 828 MkII's LCD can be switched between Setup and Mix modes by pressing the Setup knob, and in Setup mode you can choose whether the optical I/O is ADAT or S/PDIF, you can choose the digital sync mode, set the headphone assignment and so on.

Last edited by Lou on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
gjvti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos and S/P DIF Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
I think you should check the Set Mode in your 828.. because your ADAT is configurable to Optical S/PDID. Which means you don't need any converter. This is a quote from Sound On Sound:

The 828 MkII's LCD can be switched between Setup and Mix modes by pressing the Setup knob, and in Setup mode you can choose whether the optical I/O is ADAT or S/PDIF, you can choose the digital sync mode, set the headphone assignment and so on.

On MkIII this is certainly like Lou says. I use MkIII in this way with M3. Consult your Motu manual or ask them directly about MkII - they used to be helpful. Also I have my MkIII as a clock master and M3 is set in Global mode > system pref tab > system clock as S/P DIF - so it is slave (I have both cables in/out connected) I found that it works more stable (though unfortunately it is not possible to record motu main mix back into M3 this way - you get unavoidable feedback loop as there is no way to disable input monitoring to L/R outs when sampling on M3). Perhaps something similar applies to Kronos as well. If you have Kronos as only digital input connected to motu, you can try to clock slave motu to Kronos. In this case Kronos will be digital audio clock master and motu will be slave. Also note - audio clock master/slave thing has nothing to do with midi clock master/slave
arapahoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the suggestions. just need to decide which direction to take.

thanks for the time and effort!

arapahoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: