Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem Recording Kronos with Ableton Live 8
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retired&wired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Problem Recording Kronos with Ableton Live 8 Reply with quote

After recording two tracks in Live, I replay them while turning the pan knob for track one on my APC40 controller. Suddenly, the clips on the tracks turn a shade of red and there is no sound. Thinking I must have accidentally touched another knob on the APC40 which caused the problem, I click EDIT to see what commands were last executed so that I can undo the appropriate command. Well, there is just the last recording and there is nothing irregular.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some further details as to your setup. But here's one possibility:

It's possible that Live is set to MIDI Map Mode and that, at some point, you may have inadvertently mapped the pan knob of the APC40 to the global record function. This would explain why all of the "armed" (record-enabled) tracks in Live are turning red - because they are recording at the moment you turn the pan knob.

There would be no sound since, at this point, you're not feeding a signal from the Kronos. So, you end up with "red" tracks that are recording silence. When you go to the Edit dropdown in Live, you would naturally see "Undo Record" displayed.

Just one possibility. If you can provide further details, maybe others can chime in with a more precise diagnosis.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More detail on how you are recording the K. Are you in combi mode recording to one track or are you recording from Sequencer mode (Multiple tracks at once?) How are you setup, Local on or Off?...
gjvti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just know that Live sometimes for some reasons disables its audio engine and then there is red indication and no sound. Did you get sound back after restarting Live / changing audio settings? What are your audio settings in Live Audio preferences tab?
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
I just know that Live sometimes for some reasons disables its audio engine and then there is red indication and no sound.

I've never seen that. Used Live from v2 through v8.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
gjvti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that using Live5-7 on my old XP laptop - perhaps that was due loss of communication with audio device or when processing resources are limited (processor overload). I use Live mostly for midi - softsynth plugins and fequently run out of processing power on my old laptop. Live issues notification - audio engine is disabled - at the bottom of window or top right corner marked red - don't remember how exactly Smile I think it was functional again after restarting Live and making correct audio settings. On my new win 7 laptop with Live 8 any communication loss to audio hardware/interface (motu or VirusTI) causes live 8 freezing and crashing.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Because normally the interface needs to be active before starting Ableton. Or it's not listed. So, if something disrupts the communication between Ableton and your audio/midi interface, it would be deactivated.

retired&wired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajbbklyn wrote:
Need some further details as to your setup. But here's one possibility:

It's possible that Live is set to MIDI Map Mode and that, at some point, you may have inadvertently mapped the pan knob of the APC40 to the global record function. This would explain why all of the "armed" (record-enabled) tracks in Live are turning red - because they are recording at the moment you turn the pan knob.

There would be no sound since, at this point, you're not feeding a signal from the Kronos. So, you end up with "red" tracks that are recording silence. When you go to the Edit dropdown in Live, you would naturally see "Undo Record" displayed.

Just one possibility. If you can provide further details, maybe others can chime in with a more precise diagnosis.

I have the audio outputs L and R of the Kronos connected to inputs on my audio interface (Presonus FP10) which is connected to my Macbook via Firewire 400. I'm using Live 8 Suite on the Macbook (circa 2004) and am up-to-date on Live and OS X patches. I have assigned the two input ports on the FP10 to track 1 in Live, so I am setting a stereo track there from the Kronos. I recorded a 2nd track on another FP10 port using my M3. Then, while playing the mix back the first time, I tweaked the pan on track 1 when the condition presented itself.

I have had 5 responses since I posted this morning, so I am looking over all of them to see if any of the suggestions work.

Thanks for your reply. It's good to be back on the Forum.
retired&wired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
More detail on how you are recording the K. Are you in combi mode recording to one track or are you recording from Sequencer mode (Multiple tracks at once?) How are you setup, Local on or Off?...

the Kronos is in combi mode for track 1. Not using the sequencer in the Kronos. I am recording audio out L and R from the Kronos into a Presonus audio interface which is, in turn, connected via Firewire 400 to a Macbook.
My recording techniques are pretty consistent from one song to the next, sort of robot-like, so it's probable that I hit 2 buttons at the same time and sent a CTRL character (like *&&%&) instead of a real CC.

I'll keep digging. Thanks
retired&wired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
.... Did you get sound back after restarting Live / changing audio settings?...

I got frustrated and just quit the session and started over. This has happened a couple times in the past few months, so I just ignored it before.
Everything was working OK after restarting Live and starting a new set.

So, I did not reload the session that was having the problem.

Next time, I will.
retired&wired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjvti wrote:
I have seen that using Live5-7 on my old XP laptop - perhaps that was due loss of communication with audio device or when processing resources are limited (processor overload). I use Live mostly for midi - softsynth plugins and fequently run out of processing power on my old laptop. Live issues notification - audio engine is disabled - at the bottom of window or top right corner marked red - don't remember how exactly Smile I think it was functional again after restarting Live and making correct audio settings. On my new win 7 laptop with Live 8 any communication loss to audio hardware/interface (motu or VirusTI) causes live 8 freezing and crashing.

that's good to know. maybe the issue is with the audio interface.

hmmm

thanks
retired&wired

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
That makes sense. Because normally the interface needs to be active before starting Ableton. Or it's not listed. So, if something disrupts the communication between Ableton and your audio/midi interface, it would be deactivated.

That brings up another problem I have seen. When I start Live, sometimes the presonus audio interface is not defaulted in preferences. I have to select it from a drop-down list. other times it is selected. In all cases, I power up the mac first, the presonus next, the APC40, the Kronos last. Then I run Live so that it sees all the hardware.

this event happens so seldom that maybe I'll just start saving often and stop trying to have a conniption fit over this.

Thanks!!
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using an External Instrument to record from Combi mode?
It works like a charm. All you have to do is select External Instrument in the Instrument drop down and then select Kronos Sound and the Audio channels that K is using.
Now you have audio and midi in one channel strip.. you can then add extra midi channel strips for your combis available channels.

Local on in K and channel strip set to off..
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retired&wired wrote:
That brings up another problem I have seen. When I start Live, sometimes the presonus audio interface is not defaulted in preferences. I have to select it from a drop-down list. other times it is selected. In all cases, I power up the mac first, the presonus next, the APC40, the Kronos last. Then I run Live so that it sees all the hardware.

this event happens so seldom that maybe I'll just start saving often and stop trying to have a conniption fit over this.

I have noticed this. If you've brought up Ableton Live at all without your interface connected, it'll resort back to the internal sound card. Then, even though you reconnect the external interface, Ableton is still looking at your internal card. Wish Ableton would let you set a Preferred/Default interface. If it doesn't exist, then utilize the internal interface.

nowtime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Have you tried using an External Instrument to record from Combi mode?
It works like a charm. All you have to do is select External Instrument in the Instrument drop down and then select Kronos Sound and the Audio channels that K is using.
Now you have audio and midi in one channel strip.. you can then add extra midi channel strips for your combis available channels.

Local on in K and channel strip set to off..

Great tip! I'll be cheking that out shortly. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: