Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphones Suitable for Kronos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking closed ended HPs are not ideally suited for mixing because the generated sound waves can't disperse naturally. That's why there's an open ended version of the Beyerdynamic 770s called the 990s. I love those. And, by the way, for ME they DO have the "wow" factor. It comes mainly from them giving such accurate and deep lows while still remaining open on all other frequencies. I don't know any other pair of HPs that can do the same.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the HD25 and would not recommend them without first listening to a lot of music you know and determine how they are colouring the music. Mine have a boost around 1000 Hz so I have to EQ down a little at that frequency to get them to sound OK.

But I have to say - I would not recommend them for careful and prolonged listening; they are quite crude honestly.

I also use the HD600 and HD650's and these are absolutely excellent. They are very neutral, very highly respected and exceptionally comfortable to wear for even hours on end. You won't do much better for their price range (I also own HD800s but only take them out during the mastering phase - they are far too expensive to use on a regular basis).

Overall, I cannot comprehend anyone not buying the best headphones possible for about $300. This is the price range where Headphones get very serious - and - very right in every sense. Anything cheaper is doing your music, and your ears, a massive disservice. And this is largely NOT subjective (unlike with near field monitors). Headphones costing less are still made, generally, inferior, and good headphones cost up to about $300 - which is absolutely nothing in the large scheme and when considering what you forked out for Kronos.

So overall I strongly recommend anyone using the HD25s to throw them away and go to the HD650. You will not believe the difference it can make to your production / private playing, recording and mixing / creative output. If you’ve convinced yourself that the differences are not that great or that it doesn’t matter then you are conning yourself, and those making the investment are privy to an audible experience you’re missing out on. There is no argument I can think of that justifies inferior headphones (the same is not true for speakers).

Kevin.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is after something coming as close as possible to a high quality, airy studio monitor experience, instead of the typical headphone sound, I still think the AKG 702 are the best buy for the money.

I wouldn't spend thousands for super-expensive audiophile gear, so these headphones were a quantum quality jump for me, after using various other midrange priced studio headphones for years (including the Sonys Sina mentions).

I couldn't express it better than Steve Guttenberg then described it for CNet:
"Headphones 'squirt' sound directly into your ears, but the new AKG K 702's much-larger-than-average earcups allow the drivers to be placed farther away from your ears, so the sound seems less direct. This headphone was designed for recording engineers and studio use, and the sound quality is right up there with some of the best headphones ever made. ...

Listening over the Woo amplifier to "Tumbling Dice" from the Rolling Stones Shine A Light concert Blu-ray, the K 702 keyed into the sound of each instrument with remarkable clarity. That is, each of the two guitars, keyboards, bass, drums, Mick Jagger, and the background singers were each heard as distinct sound sources. The crowd's cheers were farther away, coming from outside the headphones.

To hear this sort of detail from speakers you'd need to buy very high-end models, and that would cost many, many times more than the K 702's $540 retail price."
Dany

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
If anyone is after something coming as close as possible to a high quality, airy studio monitor experience, instead of the typical headphone sound, I still think the AKG 702 are the best buy for the money.

I wouldn't spend thousands for super-expensive audiophile gear, so these headphones were a quantum quality jump for me, after using various other midrange priced studio headphones for years (including the Sonys Sina mentions).

I couldn't express it better than Steve Guttenberg then described it for CNet:
"Headphones 'squirt' sound directly into your ears, but the new AKG K 702's much-larger-than-average earcups allow the drivers to be placed farther away from your ears, so the sound seems less direct. This headphone was designed for recording engineers and studio use, and the sound quality is right up there with some of the best headphones ever made. ...

Listening over the Woo amplifier to "Tumbling Dice" from the Rolling Stones Shine A Light concert Blu-ray, the K 702 keyed into the sound of each instrument with remarkable clarity. That is, each of the two guitars, keyboards, bass, drums, Mick Jagger, and the background singers were each heard as distinct sound sources. The crowd's cheers were farther away, coming from outside the headphones.

To hear this sort of detail from speakers you'd need to buy very high-end models, and that would cost many, many times more than the K 702's $540 retail price."

I am a AKG K702 user and just want to confirm every word from your last post. They sound incredibly good and have indeed a very moderate price, in consideration of the very high audio quality.

-
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty confident that the 770s are identical to the 990s, except for the open/closed spec.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, I had a representative tell me that they had identical diaphragms and specs. Guess the housing makes more of a difference than I thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: