Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jupiter 80....I bought it.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:

I believe GAIA relies on PCM which would be 1 of the 8 raw options you have to work with on the Jupiter!

100% correct! And the PCM's are new....and notably better to my ears.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Only a few days ago did I realize that one single partial is essentially a separate patch!

Wait. Isn't this the way it's been since the early JV days? If I recall correctly all tones were always like this - maybe not. I recall also that Roland always had powerful drum synthesis - every note was essentially a synthesizer.

So isn't it just one layer of hierarchy on top of tones? So instead of a tone being 1 sound source, a tone is now 4?

The thing I miss is that I wish that the Jupiter had a global overall edit knobs. When I used to write my Roland Editors, I would always try and make a quick edit window - it would send multiple sysex for every control - you could quickly edit/scale the envelopes for all sources etc.....

I think I am just in a mode right now to want lots of controls on the surface - probably rebelling against my PC3 and S90.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
>Only a few days ago did I realize that one single partial is essentially a separate patch!

Wait. Isn't this the way it's been since the early JV days?

Since D-50, IIRC.

aron wrote:
I think I am just in a mode right now to want lots of controls on the surface - probably rebelling against my PC3 and S90.

You want a Behringer BCR-2000.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wait. Isn't this the way it's been since the early JV days? If I recall correctly all tones were always like this - maybe not. I recall also that Roland always had powerful drum synthesis - every note was essentially a synthesizer.

Yes. But I didn't know how a partial was implemented in the VA section of the JP-80. I incorrectly thought that a "tone" was equivalent to a "patch."

Anyway, I'll test PWM capabilities of the VA section of the JP-80 this week. PWM is my favorite analogue synth ingredient.

Quote:
I believe GAIA relies on PCM which would be 1 of the 8 raw options you have to work with on the Jupiter!

So, are the analog waves of the JP-80 not PCM?!?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter 80....I bought it..... Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
On Friday I purchased a Jupiter 80.

Congratulations.

We want pictures of it in your studio.

Given your pictures in the "Show Us Your Kronos" thread, it would be interesting to see how you "cram in" the Jupiter 80. So much gear!!

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:

So, are the analog waves of the JP-80 not PCM?!?

I have taken screen shots of the 20 screens related to the synth edits, layering and effects, but the one below is the one I posted to confirm PWM is available on PCM. Haven't really checked the stock patches to see which ones are rooted in PCM, but I will try to do that. There are 380 PCMs according to the SOS review.

Apparently there are around 1800 factory patches. I'm not sure how many of those are synth sounds.

Chriskk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, thanks for the shot.

Can you move the sliders and knobs with a finger on the screen a la the iPad? Not that it matters a lot to me but I'm curious.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Bruce, thanks for the shot.

Can you move the sliders and knobs with a finger on the screen a la the iPad? Not that it matters a lot to me but I'm curious.

Yes you can!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the way you move the drawbars. That's one thing I really liked.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bruce Lychee"]
Chriskk wrote:

Apparently there are around 1800 factory patches. I'm not sure how many of those are synth sounds.

There are 2048 installed factory "Live Sets" (this would be the most similar to a Program). Exactly 1899 installed factory Tones. Each tone can have 3 separate Partials. I too am not sure how many of the factory presets are synth tones vs. supernatural tones...but my ears tell me the synth tones prevail.

Up to 2 Live Sets plus two additional tones can reside in a Registration, which is most similar to a Combi. Each of these layers has its own effects, including using 4 separate dedicated reverbs. Really amazing.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="RonF"]
Bruce Lychee wrote:
Chriskk wrote:

There are 2048 installed factory "Live Sets" (this would be the most similar to a Program). Exactly 1899 installed factory Tones. Each tone can have 3 separate Partials. I too am not sure how many of the factory presets are synth tones vs. supernatural tones...but my ears tell me the synth tones prevail.

Up to 2 Live Sets plus two additional tones can reside in a Registration, which is most similar to a Combi. Each of these layers has its own effects, including using 4 separate dedicated reverbs. Really amazing.

I haven't opened up my manuals or CDs because the Jupiter has such an intuitive layout. Thanks for specific the info on the tones!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:

The thing I miss is that I wish that the Jupiter had a global overall edit knobs. W

The JP80 has a Tone Blender feature which is very nice, It acts as a Global edit of multiple parameters, and also acts as a sort of controllable random function. Very nice,

In most screens, ANY onscreen parameter can become a hardware knob simply by touching and holding the parameter on screen...then twisting one of the 4 knobs. Its that simple. So even though you think....hey I need more than 4 knobs for tactile control....you really don't, because you can so quickly reassign any of those knobs on the fly, over and over, in an instant. Then, when your patch is created, you can set which parameters are present on the knobs. Totally customized.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone blender edit screen:

RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Quote:

Yes. But I didn't know how a partial was implemented in the VA section of the JP-80. I incorrectly thought that a "tone" was equivalent to a "patch."

Actually it is different than other Roland synths....in that you have another layer in your programming. You have a Partial....to a Tone....to a Live Set....to a Registration. A registration, the highest level, is equivalent to a Live Set on the Fantom G, or a Combi on a Kronos. So your "live set" on the JP80 is equivalent to a Program...which contains 4 sub layers which themselves each contains 3 sub layers. And separate effects on most of those layers.

Another thing I like is the editing you do on the top two layers is adding or subtracting from the Tones and Partials themselves, rather than editing them directly.....therefore, you are not affecting those slots, and they can be used with differing results in other Registrations and Live Sets. This directly touches upon some of the discussion in the separate forum thread here about Never enough Banks.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to 20 shots relating to the synth edits, effects and layering.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/sleestack666/Jupiter%2080/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: