Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 hours with the Kronos ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dregsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: 2 hours with the Kronos ... Reply with quote

Many like myself have not recieved their Kronos yet. Crying or Very sad So for them, and others who are on the fence or have decided against buying a Kronos for all the wrong reasons, Wink I humbly submit another review ...

I finally got my hands on one yesterday. A lot of this stuff is subjective and personal preference, but I really don't see much wrong with the Kronos. The local GC had this 61 out for a few weeks, and you could tell. I had the factory settings restored before I sat down, then pounded on it for a few hours ...

Screen : This was one of my worries, but I had absolutely no trouble reading the screen at all. After a minute I completely forgot it was an issue. Two hours of intense use later and no fatigue whatsoever.

Keybed : This was a synth action and I found it to be above my expectations. I'm getting a 73, but I'm not sure you could ask for better here. I could easily live with the 61's action. But I need weighted keys, and more of them.

Knobs and stuff : A non issue. For me at least. The data wheel didn't fly off and the clerk said it hasn't come off since they got it in. It's not a quality knob by any means but it seemed to work fine. However IMO Korg really should have sprung for a better knob, especially THIS knob, on their 3k flagship workstation. The joysticks where not top quality either but were still in one piece when I finished. The sliders and other controls seemed solid.

Overall build quality : I didn't think the end pieces were that bad. I guess they saved a lot there, but that's a good trade off considering what you get for the price. It's a beautiful keyboard otherwise and seemed solidly built. It's a shame about that control wheel but I guess perfection is unattainable.

Pianos : I've seen where some aren't that thrilled by the Kronos pianos. I knew immediately that a few adjustments were in order to get the sound I wanted. In 60 seconds I had the Japanese grand singing. Perhaps the best synth piano I've ever heard.

Orchestral : This was another worry. Once again I was pleasantly surprised. Some beautiful strings, woodwinds and other instruments, with a few adjustments here and there all quite usable IMO. The only real disappointment was the brass which I didn't really get a chance to tweak. But I've heard some customized horns (Busch) that sound great, so we'll see about those.

Combi and other engines : I browsed through each and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY! An incredible machine. I kept finding one magical sound or combi after another. I still think I was dreaming!

So to wrap up, the set list feature is great! I didn't get to use the sequencer, disk stuff, USB etc, but I'll get to those when my 73 arrives. (2 Weeks and counting.) Drums, Karma, you could go on and on. I barely scratched the surface in the time I had, but most of my concerns about the Kronos are gone. I do hope I like the RH3 weighted keybed, and I pray everything works on the unit I get.

It's hard to put into words how impressed I am with this workstation. For all those who are still waiting just remember, good things come to those who wait.
Hanon_CTS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: another excellent Kronos review Reply with quote

Excellent review dregsor!
Very well written.
Thanks
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review- be sure to post your, "I've-had-it-a-week-now--no-sleep--here's my-full-review!"

Randy
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Smile

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jamsire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I've had mine since Monday, this weekend will be the test(s). I look forward to referring back to your post as well as others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: