Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sound system for korg kronos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeed2k

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: sound system for korg kronos Reply with quote

hello everyone. im looking for inputs with regards to finding a good sound system for my 88 kronos. im used to acoustic piano so getting a sound system for a workstation is new to me.

i will only use it in my apartment mostly for practice and songwriting. i would like something that doesnt take too much space, not heavy to move around, stereo sound, preferably with headphone outputs for use at night. the sound and not too big size is important to me. i dont know if i need a keyboard amp, studio monitors, or pa system. if it helps , i would like to be able to play and use microphone at the same time. i also play guitar so extra inputs if possible will help. thank u.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say some (nearfield?) monitors, small mixer and microphone(s).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your use I would suggest a small PA. There are many low cost portable PA systems from companies like Yamaha. The speakers are light and the PA head is compact with EQ and effects (for your voice).

I do not recommend keyboard amps. I always choose a powered speaker over a keyboard amp.

This is assuming you will play live. If not, then follow the suggestion above.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was under the assumption you did not play live, but now I read again, why would you want to move it around?

In that case a small PA system is the best; in case you don't want to have too many components, use powered/active speakers.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think powered/active is the best, but he wants to plug a mic in. I bet once he plugs the mic in, he would want reverb at least.

I used to carry a mini PA and it sounded great, but I grew tired of dealing with it. My gigs came considerably easier when I went mono and used a 15" powered speaker. It's a toss up if it sounds better live since it has more bass and presence, but I miss the stereo aspect.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a wild idea, but what about plugging a mic into the Kronos (with an XLR-Jack cable) and use one of the internal FX slots for reverb.

RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Maybe it's a wild idea, but what about plugging a mic into the Kronos (with an XLR-Jack cable) and use one of the internal FX slots for reverb.

That's the ticket right there! Plus some small self powered monitors. Great for your small home environment, and your described needs.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
mikeed2k

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! Anyone here has suggestions on pa system or monitors that are compact but with great stereo sounds for Kronos? I will be going to guitar center so some suggestions what to look for will be very helpful. Thanks again
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using JBL Eon10 as monitors, but for a PA you can better use the Eon15 or add a subwoofer. Of course there are enough alternatives (Behringer: cheap but unreliable I heard), Yamaha (can't remember the model types) and probably more brands offer small active powered speakers to use.

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QSC
DavyP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Home Studio Setup Reply with quote

All you need is a pair of powered monitors. I'm using the KRK Rokit 5 monitors with the K61 plugged straight in and it sounds great. They are pretty loud and have plenty of bottom end. You could plug a mic or guitar directly into the K and use the inbuilt effects and eq. My room is quite small (8X8) but you could buy larger versions if your room is bigger. Cost starts around £250GBP.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Studio Setup Reply with quote

DavyP wrote:
All you need is a pair of powered monitors. I'm using the KRK Rokit 5 monitors with the K61 plugged straight in and it sounds great. They are pretty loud and have plenty of bottom end. You could plug a mic or guitar directly into the K and use the inbuilt effects and eq. My room is quite small (8X8) but you could buy larger versions if your room is bigger. Cost starts around £250GBP.

I'm going to order these 2 also, I hear different stories about them, but since I'm not a pro and also hear good reviews like yours for the price I cannot go wrong.

DavyP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michel

I bought these monitors last October on the strength of a few reviews and also my daughters boyfriend had a pair in his home studio.

As I was in the process of setting up a home studio after many years away from music I left them boxed up until this week when I also purchased my new Kronos.

I plugged the Kronos directly into them to test the keyboard and the monitors and was actually blown away by them!! The Kronos sounded amazing!,

They are solidly made and IMO sound really punchy and tight! Tight bottom end! They have RCA connectors as well as balanced jack and XLR! You can control the level of the tweeters as well as overall volume.

As I said my studio room is quite small (8X8ft) but I only had the level on 50% and the Kronos between 25% and 50% and the place was lifting!

I could still hear them as I walked into other rooms in my house. (Not sure if this is good or bad?. Good for music, bad for wife!) LOL!

However if you have a larger room I would maybe consider the larger versions. I have the 5" speakers but they do 6" and 8" versions with more powerful amps.

They are reasonably priced as well. Good value for money!

I was
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M1, Novation SL61 MKII, Roland JV1080 with Techno expansion, Roland D110, Yamaha MU80, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, Akai ME30PII midi patch bay, Behringer RX1602 mixer, ESI ESP1010e audio interface, Quad Core PC, Cubase Pro 9.0, SE X1 condenser mic.

Guitars: Yamaha SG700, Ovation Applause electro-acoustic, Squier Strat, Roland micro cube amp.

Former: Roland Jupiter 6, Yamaha DX9, Akai X7000 sampler, Casio CZ1000, Roland SH101, Roland TR909, Roland MC500mk2, Emu Procussion.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavyP wrote:
Hi Michel

I was

I was ... ? Guess you were not finished. However thanks for the explanation.

Actually I don't have a dedicated studio room. I want to use the speakers mostly for learning songs for the band (and later for maybe making music) or just enjoying better sound as the speakers I currently have (an obscure hifi speaker brand).

The room is about 9x9 ft, but it's packed quite fully (mostly by a few computers, one of me and my wife) and some book cabinets and lots of small item since it's also the computer/hobby room. I don't dare to make a picture of it Smile.

Probably I'm going to order them next week and can test them with a Triton Extreme/M50 and of course later with the Kronos.

Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 2 Tannoy Reveal 501A active studio monitors and a Tannoy TS10 active subwoofer.

Last edited by Yuma on Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: