Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sound system for korg kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:
For home I ordered KRK G5 Rokit ... going to install it tonight.

Do you mean KRK G2 Rokit 5 (RP5)?

Have have those and have no complaints.

Yes the small ones. Looking forward to test it with my current gear (no Kronos for now, but if they sound good here they probably will sound even better with a Kronos).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arjan wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
My great but not particularly esoteric HR824s are nominally flat (within 1.5dB) down to 39Hz, and extending below that naturally; the more recent mkII version claims a little lower for flat response, down to 37Hz.

I have to agree with Dan here. I too have Mackie HR824's (original version) and I definitely don't need a sub with them; they go plenty low and loud as-is for their intended purpose as near-field speakers in a studio environment.

For my live rig I do have dedicated subs because at high SPL (higher than you'd ever use in a studio) you won't be able to get sufficient level for low frequencies from an 8" woofer; it's simply not able to displace sufficient amounts of air. You can certainly go extremely low on 8" speakers but there's a limit to how loud you can get it without ridiculously high speaker excursion.

All good points; I should have been clear that my comments were about studio monitoring setups only.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my KRK Rokit 5 (RPR5) and they sound great.

They are not positioned as should be (one is in a bookcase and the other on top of papersheet-holders (don't know the english term) on my desk. One is a bit further away then the other but still they sound great. I love the bass (don't use high volumes anyway) and my room is about 10x10 feet. The volume of the speakers is at 75% but I keep my mix levels down (having a small mixer to connect my synths/pc to them).

It sound as good as my semi-open Sennheiser headphones and a lot better than my old hifi stereo set.

Thanks for all the reviews and positive/negative remarks posted here.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arjan wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
My great but not particularly esoteric HR824s are nominally flat (within 1.5dB) down to 39Hz, and extending below that naturally; the more recent mkII version claims a little lower for flat response, down to 37Hz.

I have to agree with Dan here. I too have Mackie HR824's (original version) and I definitely don't need a sub with them; they go plenty low and loud as-is for their intended purpose as near-field speakers in a studio environment.

The lower cutoff frequency on the Mackie HR824's is -3dB at 37Hz. That gets you down to low D# (a.k.a. D#1) on the piano. It simply doesn't cover the full range.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
Arjan wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

The lower cutoff frequency on the Mackie HR824's is -3dB at 37Hz. That gets you down to low D# (a.k.a. D#1) on the piano. It simply doesn't cover the full range.

True, but see my earlier post; that may or may not matter. See discussions of the "missing fundamental" concept for more info.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
DavyP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: KRK ROKIT RP5 Montors Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
I installed my KRK Rokit 5 (RPR5) and they sound great.

They are not positioned as should be (one is in a bookcase and the other on top of papersheet-holders (don't know the english term) on my desk. One is a bit further away then the other but still they sound great. I love the bass (don't use high volumes anyway) and my room is about 10x10 feet. The volume of the speakers is at 75% but I keep my mix levels down (having a small mixer to connect my synths/pc to them).

It sound as good as my semi-open Sennheiser headphones and a lot better than my old hifi stereo set.

Thanks for all the reviews and positive/negative remarks posted here.

Glad you like the Rokit 5 monitors. I think they sound great with my Kronos 61 and I am very happy with them for the size of my room. They are really punchy and the Kronos has a lot of depth to many of its sounds especially the synth and drum sounds.
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M1, Novation SL61 MKII, Roland JV1080 with Techno expansion, Roland D110, Yamaha MU80, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, Akai ME30PII midi patch bay, Behringer RX1602 mixer, ESI ESP1010e audio interface, Quad Core PC, Cubase Pro 9.0, SE X1 condenser mic.

Guitars: Yamaha SG700, Ovation Applause electro-acoustic, Squier Strat, Roland micro cube amp.

Former: Roland Jupiter 6, Yamaha DX9, Akai X7000 sampler, Casio CZ1000, Roland SH101, Roland TR909, Roland MC500mk2, Emu Procussion.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only could try them for one hour because we have visiting family with a small child for a week but Tuesday evening I will test them more.

They really sound good so far.

cabasner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize you said you were not interested in a subwoofer, but I have a pair of KRK Rokit RP8 G2s and a K10s subwoofer, which I use to amplify my Korg M3-88. I must say that the combination of these powered monitors is fabulous. I have not tried to use the RP8s on their own, without the subwoofer, so I can't tell you if the RP8s alone would be sufficient, but I can tell you that the combination of the 3 monitors is pretty impressive. My keyboard is in about a 10x12 room with hard floors, and the subwoofer volume is just barely turned up above zero, but that is enough to give a serious wallop on the low end. For the money, I think this setup is tremendous, and I'd seriously consider it for your own needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: