Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combi Volume for Live Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Combi Volume for Live Shows Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyone does to ensure that their combis are at the same volume level at a live show.

Example: you change combis and one combi is much louder than the other.

What do you do to prevent that from happening? Is it easy to do on the Kronos?

Thanks!

Alesis Andromeda A6, Kronos 88

www.coreymast.com
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the easiest is to simply edit the combi master volume when I'm reviewing my setlist and save that volume to each respective combi. It's very easy.

If you read enough of the posts around here, you will find that some people have had problems with the vector joystick volume control which is on by default in many combis. They find if they accidentally hit the joystick the wrong way, the volume falls. I find it useful to disable this setting for live play. This is also not very difficult.

Chris
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Kronos but I guess the same problem is for every Korg (and other synth). What I did is half the volumes of all combis I used live. Then while rehearsing, changing the volume of the combis. I noticed a few things:
- depending on what the other band members are doing you sometimes have to adjust it, so you cannot do it when playing with an MP3 for example.
- depending on the locations of the band members while rehearsing it may affect the volume (e.g. if the guitarist stands reasonably close to you and he is soloing, your sound may be almost unhearable). However, you should not change the volumes too much.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing is relying on a good front of house guy! I know this is obviously a very touchy issue, but thankfully I can trust ours and know that as long as he gets signal from me that's reasonably consistent, he will make it right in the mix.

Chris
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use my own monitors and the output send to the PA is decoupled from the volume I hear, so if I need to change the volume of my monitors I have to turn the volume knob on the monitors. The output of the monitors is going to the PA (through a DI box) but the volume control of the monitors does not affect that output signal.

Schematic:

Synth
Left output -> Monitor in -> volume knob on monitor -> Speaker
\> DI box -> PA
Right output -> equal as left output

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: