Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just need help understanding if I can do what I want to do

View previous topic :: View next topic  
utterlyconfused

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: I just need help understanding if I can do what I want to do Reply with quote

I play a lot of things and I have a decent background in music theory but I'm really new to the synth world and I just don't understand my new microsampler. I spoke pretty in depth with the guy at guitar center about what I wanted to be able to do on a synth and he insisted this would do it. I just want to be able to play a pattern of notes on either the keyboard or the sampler portion of the synth & loop it so that it can continuously play in the background of my musical project while I continue to play another instrument. Just like looping 15 seconds of music on the guitar through my line 6 petal. I just want to be able to record it and continue playing it. Is this even possible? If so, could some saint of a human being be able to explain it to me in simple terms, without explaining why or having me record a drum beat and set up measures - I mean why has this been so difficult? To just record 15 seconds of music on the microsampler & be able to play it back with no bull?
AI_Joe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trust a salesman.
Sounds like you need a sequencer - not a sampler. The microSampler has a very limited and basic sequencer and is not ideal for what you want. While the microSampler can loop a sample, it's not meant for recording long segments of music.

So depending on what you want:
Hook the microSampler into a DAW via MIDI and use it's sequencer (which defeats the purpose of having the microSampler, since most DAWs have excellent sampling capabilities).

Sell the microSampler and get an Electribe ESX which has a better sequencer. You will be able to chain patterns into entire songs.

If you want to simply record and stack 15 seconds of audio from other instruments and loop it, get a Roland LoopStation and a mixer.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salesman is not at fault here. You're wanting to "be able to play a pattern of notes on either the keyboard or the sampler portion of the synth & loop it", yet you state the following: "explain it to me in simple terms, without explaining why or having me record a drum beat and set up measures."

You're describing a situation where the sequencer needs to be used, but it sounds like you don't want to bother with learning how it operates. Think about it: How can a sequencer loop a pattern if you don't tell it how many measures long the pattern is suppose to be?

The manual explains it all in detail, plus there's a video here:
http://youtu.be/qh5q8iealjs

Now, if you don't want to bother with the sequencer, you can keep the keyboard in SAMPLE mode and loop samples from there. The drawback to this is that you have to trigger all the sample loops by hand. Again, this is all explained in the manual. All sequencers take some time to figure out how to operate, just got bare with the manual.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: