Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos (hardware) vs Komplete8 (software)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cachete1966

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Kronos (hardware) vs Komplete8 (software) Reply with quote

Korg Kronos (hardware Synth) vs Komplete 8 (software)

I know..... its a crazy... but...

what you think..??

pro and contrs...?

i ask this because is an option for too many people....!!!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some comments in another thread recently that I feel Kronos approaches Omnisphere, without the idiosyncrasies of a computer. No matter how cool Komplete can sound (and yes, I own it), its still fiddly compared to a Kronos. Getting ITs "engines" to collaborate can be a chore, and I am frequently finding myself saying to myself...."damn, I sat down to play some music, and I just spent the last 20 minutes trouble shooting some problem on my computer rather than playing music". And I have a late edition mac pro...so its not my hardware....its just the culture of computers. I would so much rather spend the time to lean a proprietary interface, even if the computer screen and mouse are a (seemingly) more productive interface......and know that when I power up, I am into my MUSIC...rather than into my computer.

Sonically, Komplete 7 has some wonderful stuff, and with Kontact 4, its endless......but Kronos is a sampler too, albeit without the predesigned libraries abound.

Weighing it all...I have both.....I am competent and very familiar with both....I use my hardware, especially now Kronos, 90% more than my software stuff.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.

Last edited by RonF on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Komplete sounds are pretty good.

However, as a kontender for the KRONOS, perhaps not. a few years ago it was actually better, but since NI have dropped many synth based instruments in favour of samples. Bad choice. B4 II was a fantastic Hammond organ emulation for example, much more flexible and authentic than CX3 (which itself is still up there amongst the best).

And KORE brought everything together in a neat package not unlike the flexibility of Korg's workstations' Combi mode. Sadly there isn't enough software out there like this that enables live performance and layering and arpeggiation. Even Mainstage which is a close contender lacks the flexible routing and any kind of sequencers/arpeggiators/harmonisers and other MIDI processors.

Both discontinued, both replicating similar functionality to KRONOS.

IMO, KORE + B4 II + FM8 + KLC instruments would be a fantastic combination.

Also if you can get around the initial complexities, Reaktor alone is worth more. The user library available for it covers various experimental, radical synths, physical modelling, cpu hogs, and of course classic hardware clones, editors, and reworks (I myself recently finished & uploaded a suite of grooveboxes inspired by the original Electribe flavours, plus a dedicated loop manipulation 'groovebox').
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2004 i've never used any WS for Studio Production even though i had/have
most of them, right now i have few, M3, Kronos, XF...but they still wont see the day
to be used in a Production. My production is based 95% on VSTis. I have the WSs
ONLY for sound designing and commercial purposes. My Kronos is my main synth
in the Studio but ONLY as a Master Controller and NOTHING else. I am a Hardcore
NI and EWQL user, i own 100% NI and maybe 80% EWQL. In reality no Kronos
or anything can even come close to any of this Software but thats only comparing
its Sonic Quality but i know there are other factors of Comparisons and as per user and use.
If i was to use SOMETHING from Kronos it would probably be some Lead Sounds
which will not be Factory but created by me and that will be it.
I dont put down any of the WSs but as in Studio use to me they are Obsolete.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
B4 II was a fantastic Hammond organ emulation for example, much more flexible and authentic than CX3 (which itself is still up there amongst the best).

GSi VB3 is better, IMHO. YMMV.

X-Trade wrote:
Sadly there isn't enough software out there like this that enables live performance and layering and arpeggiation. Even Mainstage which is a close contender lacks the flexible routing and any kind of sequencers/arpeggiators/harmonisers and other MIDI processors.

Brainspawn Forte? Cantabile? Chainer? Bidule? energyXT can also be used for this. There's even the free VSThost...

And Kore is being replaced by Maschine.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:

lets hope! Its not 100% clear yet whether Machine will have all of KORE's routing and databasing capabilities. If it does...it will be amazing. Lord...if Machine gets reasonable outboard midi capabilities....it will be wonderful.

Machine is the #1 software I actually do use. Its hardware component makes it very easy to integrate with an outboard hardware set up. Its very nice...best software experience of my life. As long as my computer isn't fiddly....that is.....
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilDragon wrote:
X-Trade wrote:
Sadly there isn't enough software out there like this that enables live performance and layering and arpeggiation. Even Mainstage which is a close contender lacks the flexible routing and any kind of sequencers/arpeggiators/harmonisers and other MIDI processors.

Brainspawn Forte? Cantabile? Chainer? Bidule? energyXT can also be used for this. There's even the free VSThost...

Mschine is more ableton than workstation combinator, but yeah, it is pretty good. I haven't spent enough time with it, but I don't know if it allows recall of different setups via MIDI or even a drop down box. This is actually the main feature that I find missing for example from Bidule or EnergyXT, or the old Steinberg software (V-Rack was it?), is the ability to arrange a bunch of instruments and recall that, effectively turning combinations of VSTs into patch programs themselves.
And most of those aren't cross-platform unfortunately. Cantible, Chainer, Forte...

I've tried a lot of them and in my experience at least they don't capture the seamlessness, flexibility, and ease-of-use that Korg's Combi Mode offers.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hung on until 2 months ago when I upgraded to Komplete 7, because of the knock down price. I've supported NI since Komplete 2, but some of my favourite instruments and FX are no longer supported.

Besides, I saw how big is the install was for Komplete 8 Ultimate Shocked

Personally, I prefer hardware over plugins for the immediacy of use and hands-on tweakabillity. I thought the Novation SL with Automap would change my mind about using software in a live situation, but it's such a convoluted system that it's never satisfactorally worked for me.

No, for me the Kronos has changed the game, everything I need in a single keyboard... Remember - K.I.S.S
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I've tried a lot of them and in my experience at least they don't capture the seamlessness, flexibility, and ease-of-use that Korg's Combi Mode offers.

OK, ease of use perhaps yes, but Forte and Bidule are MUCH more powerful than Korg's Combi. Wink
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Since 2004 i've never used any WS for Studio Production even though i had/have
most of them, right now i have few, M3, Kronos, XF...but they still wont see the day
to be used in a Production. My production is based 95% on VSTis. I have the WSs
ONLY for sound designing and commercial purposes. My Kronos is my main synth
in the Studio but ONLY as a Master Controller and NOTHING else. I am a Hardcore
NI and EWQL user, i own 100% NI and maybe 80% EWQL. In reality no Kronos
or anything can even come close to any of this Software but thats only comparing
its Sonic Quality but i know there are other factors of Comparisons and as per user and use.
If i was to use SOMETHING from Kronos it would probably be some Lead Sounds
which will not be Factory but created by me and that will be it.
I dont put down any of the WSs but as in Studio use to me they are Obsolete.

why would you spend $3000 and ONLY use the kronos as a controller!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?.... that doesn't make any sense to me...

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i said, i use the WSs ONLY for Commercial Sound Designing purposes
but in the meantime while i have them i use them as Controllers too.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
As i said, i use the WSs ONLY for Commercial Sound Designing purposes
but in the meantime while i have them i use them as Controllers too.

but what's the purpose of designing sounds on the WS if you never use the sounds in production?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...i sell them, i am a third party developer.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I think the Komplete sounds are pretty good.

However, as a kontender for the KRONOS, perhaps not. a few years ago it was actually better, but since NI have dropped many synth based instruments in favour of samples. Bad choice. B4 II was a fantastic Hammond organ emulation for example, much more flexible and authentic than CX3 (which itself is still up there amongst the best).

And KORE brought everything together in a neat package not unlike the flexibility of Korg's workstations' Combi mode. Sadly there isn't enough software out there like this that enables live performance and layering and arpeggiation. Even Mainstage which is a close contender lacks the flexible routing and any kind of sequencers/arpeggiators/harmonisers and other MIDI processors.

Both discontinued, both replicating similar functionality to KRONOS.

IMO, KORE + B4 II + FM8 + KLC instruments would be a fantastic combination.

Also if you can get around the initial complexities, Reaktor alone is worth more. The user library available for it covers various experimental, radical synths, physical modelling, cpu hogs, and of course classic hardware clones, editors, and reworks (I myself recently finished & uploaded a suite of grooveboxes inspired by the original Electribe flavours, plus a dedicated loop manipulation 'groovebox').

This is all why I've just stuck w/ Komplete 4 (PC and Receptor). Yet, I still bought a Kronos...anyone want a Receptor w/ Komplete 4 loaded onto it? Laughing
biggrime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos (hardware) vs Komplete8 (software) Reply with quote

cachete1966 wrote:
Korg Kronos (hardware Synth) vs Komplete 8 (software)

I know..... its a crazy... but...

what you think..??

pro and contrs...?

i ask this because is an option for too many people....!!!

Most of my experience is with software 100%. I have purchased right many of NI software from Battery to Reaktor. I am a owner of Korg M3 and have not use a computer for music since getting the M3 2 years ago.

NI software
PROs

1. SOUNDS - Many sound engines. You will never be bored or feel like you want more.

2. UPDATES - Always updating in ways hardware could only dream of.

3. Unlimited - There is not cap on what you can do. If a company comes out with a faster processor you can run more. Bigger hard drive. You can host more etc..

4. repair or replace - If a piece of your setup mess up(soundcard). All you have to do is replace that piece. On hardware you have to send off your whole keyboard.
CONs

1. TOO MUCH - Having many options is great but, dahm. There is a lot of the same stuff in there. For example: Kontakt has acoustic bass. Then you have specialty bass packs for Kontakt. Why? All of these synth and sound packs are different but, are you really going to use all of them?

2. COMPUTER - I just do not like using computers to create music. Makes me feel like a nerd and not a musician.

3. OUTDATED - This stuff goes out of date fast. How many people still use kontakt 1, 2, or 3? There are people still using the trinity & trition till this day.

4. EXPENSIVE - To keep up with this is expensive. When the software upgrade you better be prepared to upgrade your computer too. If you do not know how to do it yourself. That is even more money.

5. EVERYBODY - Since everyone is whoring over vsts. Everyone has it. So unless you are designing your own sound.(most do not) Then people will have the same sounds. Sure thats the same for keyboard but, I bet your momma's panties there are more owners (legally & illegally) of these vsts then hardware.

Hardware Workstation

PROs

1. Package - Everything is in a nice package. Design to work with each other from hardware to software.

2. EASY - easy to access everything you need. Not loading this vst that vst

3. VALUE - Hardware carries value. Look at the old trition extremes. You still can get over a grand for them.

4. WORKFLOW - Even with macshine VSTs work flow is not like on a kronos.

5. CREATING SOUNDS - When creating sounds on a vst I feel like a nerd. Creating sounds on hardware makes you feel like a musician tuning a guitar.

6. LEGENDS - Hardware becomes classics while software because just other software.

7. COOL - they look cool. Who wants to take pics holding the box or disc? Well that is if you paid for the vst.

8. SOFTWARE - You can use kronos as plug in. Right? if not you should soon

9. WIFE - Ask your woman do she like it soft or hard?

CONs

1. UPGRADES - Hardware companies could offer more upgrades such as samples, programs, and combis. Yea you could program but, korg could at least try to offer stuff that can compete sound wise to the new stuff VSTs offer.

2. PORTABLE - With a small keyboard I could take Komplete, a laptop, and head phones to a park or buss ride. I wanna see you do that with a kronos.

3. Limited - What you see is what you get. No expanding beyond what korg gives you.

4. SCREEN - The look of the kronos screen is cool but, with big screen you can get for computers. The screens is a lot better on computers

5. HIDE - If you spent more money then you should it is easier to hide your VSTs then a kronos

Feel free to add to the list Smile

Proud korg kronos 2 owner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: