Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Answers by Roland on Jupiter-80, may compliment your Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, hold your horses Jim!

I could feel your loudly spoken pain when the Kronos was not given a shipping date and no clear communication to/from the distributors in Germany. And that the FG sequencer, and other qualities of the board, was left incomplete, effectively showing Rolands betrayal of trust. Both very upsetting.

But this? You sound threatened by the existence of a few threads here.

You say there's been no good info- that's not what I have seen. On this latest there were some video links from Roland that gave some good overviews. And even amongst a lot of protesting from you, Aron and a few others, the JP80 finally got its due in the form of some really decent comparisons to the Kronos, and what it offers in contrast.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm not that interested in purusing hundreds of threads like I did for the Kronos section of this forum to understand it (just not interested enough in the JP80). I do appreciate however that in the course of relatively few page reads on this forum, I've got a bit of a grasp of the JP80 and what it offers that the Kronos doesn't.

I think that for most of us here the Kronos IS KING! There's no doubt about that, and besides the JP-80 isn't even a direct competitor- it isn't a workstation.

If you read my earliest post in this thread, I talked about being duped by the hype (which is how I ended up buying the Motif XS). And the hype is not just the machinations of reputation and marketing- it's that uninformed buyers have no other perspective or way to judge.

For my workstation dollars, there's no better board on the market than the Kronos. But having learned with my Nord Stage that being musical doesn't necessarily require a workstation (with its seduction/promise of incredible technical powers), I'm very glad to have a perspective on a top-of-the-line cutting-edge board that is intuitive, easy to use, has great sounds out of the box, and is a joy to play (at least as opined by our generous reviewers).

Sorry you're taking this as a personal affront, but please don't do a Janos on us and deprive us of your great forum participation because some of us have a slightly different idea about the value and role of this forum. It's not that big of a deal, and just like the reviews of the Kronos has dried up all-too-soon to almost a trickle, I'm sure that these comparison/review dialogues on the JP80 will dissapear soon as well. And seriously, why should your view, as it was practically shouted in this post, be so dramatic and drastic? (OK, that was a bit rhetorical- I seriously DON'T need you to answer that question!) Razz

Anyway, thanks for the mini-blog efforts you have shared- I wish everyone would take the time to share a bit more about what they're doing and how they're doing it with the Kronos- that is the best reading of all!

Randy
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thankfully it's now been moved,I just felt in the case of diplomacy it was more respectful to have it moved,it's not that I have no desire to read it(I'm purchasing a JP80 myself)I've been reading the replies and views with anticipation,but I also enjoy reading the Kronos discussions which seemed to be becoming less important and that wasn't fair given it's a Korg forum could see it was going to end up in a rather messy affair As every other day there seemed to be another new Jupiter thread.

There's plenty of sub forums for the Jupiter discussions to co exist in here even if it's a Roland so there should be no need to be overriding the Kronos section even if there's some relevance to want to compare it to the Kronos

Wink
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jimknopf

Cool down! There's no need to make a fuss about 3 threads...

People who want to prevent others from discussing freely bother me more than people who talk about the JP-80 on a Kronos thread.

Please keep that "Ordnung muss man haben" mind for yourself.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49, if every JP-80 owner (or potential owner) would have handled the matter with your balanced view, it wouldn't even have become a problem.

Side views on other gear are not uncommon in gear threads, as long as they stay side views. I would never oppose that kind of gear talk.

But:
For anything far beyond they are simply not on topic. And ongoing threads about other gear can easily have their own place: so there's just no reason at all to become that penetrant in a dedicated forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

@Randelph:
what I seek and am ready to share myself in a dedicated forum is the practical side. And while more and more Kronoi are bought, and probably much more in autumn and winter, I think a forum should give substantial threads like those of Akos, Aron, Busch and quite a few others a chance.

I'm rechecking patches I do, just for the sake of making them possibly useful for others. But I also want to have the feeling that others help to make the Kronos even more useful as well, by ON topic technical exchange, music talk, exchange about critical things and sound programming.

@EXer
I politely reject your cheap "Ordnung muss man haben" cliche towards a German poster. If you don't get my point, I can't change that, but you certainly won't tell me what I will keep for myself and what not.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all truth and honesty read the definition of censorship below and see if it doesn't fit's exactly what happened to the Jupiter 80 treads .

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

am I supposed to answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_topic
or something of that kind now???

Frankly, isn't becoming personal and offensive by Wiki linking a bit childish after all?

Rocness: censorship is a suppression of ON topics, just because someone doesn't like what is said. Get the basics and then keep on researching Wiki. Laughing
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Ron,

am I supposed to answer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_topic
or something of that kind now???

Frankly, isn't becoming personal and offensive by Wiki linking a bit childish after all?

Rocness: censorship is a suppression of ON topics, just because someone doesn't like what is said. Get the basics and then keep on researching Wiki. Laughing

Jim....that particular post was not directed at you. Sincerely sorry if you took it that way...I did not realize you were the previous poster in the thread. It was directed at the situation, which I find very hypocritical. But yes, perhaps it was a bit childish of me. However, I chose this morning to answer provocation with a little of my own provocation. For better or worse......there it is.....
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accepted, no big deal (yes, I thought it was directed at me).

Let's just stop arguing and agree to disagree.
I'm in Kronos creativity mood and want some things to be learned and done over here.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sir. No more arguing.....
Rocness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello-ooo hello-ooo hello-ooo is anybody here-eeeee here-eeeee here-eee
echo's across Grand Canyon Very Happy

Pretty cool video showing the workings of jupiter -80 VA synth .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesMtlsQS4A
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocness wrote:
hello-ooo hello-ooo hello-ooo is anybody here-eeeee here-eeeee here-eee
echo's across Grand Canyon Very Happy

Pretty cool video showing the workings of jupiter -80 VA synth .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesMtlsQS4A

Cool Vid...thanks for the link!
sani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how Dan has the need to compare the structure of the jp80 registration to the Motif, while we so often read how the comparison between the jp80 and a workstation is apples to oranges.
What makes me wonder is how suddenly the jp80 has four separate live sets? That's something new. I still see two and not four.
But besides that, the fact that he has to make a comparison with another keyboard is simply pathetic IMHO. Should now a yamaha employee start comparing the motif against the jp80 and showing that there is no sequencer or sampler on board of the jp80?
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised by that myself.

And 2 live sets, plus 2 tones = 1 Registration.
Devnor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:
It's funny how Dan has the need to compare the structure of the jp80 registration to the Motif, while we so often read how the comparison between the jp80 and a workstation is apples to oranges.
What makes me wonder is how suddenly the jp80 has four separate live sets? That's something new. I still see two and not four.
But besides that, the fact that he has to make a comparison with another keyboard is simply pathetic IMHO. Should now a yamaha employee start comparing the motif against the jp80 and showing that there is no sequencer or sampler on board of the jp80?

Dan was simply reviewing the performance mode of the Motif to give perspective to what makes the Jupiter different. Although we don't talk about the solo and perc layers much at all they are indeed a "live set" within a registration consisting of one tone, one MFX plus compressor, ect. There is nothing wrong with Dan making a comparison...he's not saying anything we don't already know and certainly not anything bad wouldnt you agree? Maybe he should have shown a Kronos and let you know there are 16 parts in a combi. Of course he could have used a M3, Triton, my old SY77 or any number of other boards. We're all familiar with that architecture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: