Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Answers by Roland on Jupiter-80, may compliment your Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Future Music Magazine gives Rave reviews for Roland Jupiter Reply with quote

Future Music Magazine gives Rave reviews for Roland Jupiter 80.
Read it for your self here and Enjoy !

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/keys-synths/synthesizers-compact-synthesizers/jupiter-80-487265/review
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they praise the sound quality but have difficulty accepting the non existence of knobs and sliders for synth manipulation.

For me, i'm just a player, i dont actually touch the knobs. I have ordered a JP80 and cant wait to pick it in the coming week or so Laughing

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
Rocness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Yes, they praise the sound quality but have difficulty accepting the non existence of knobs and sliders for synth manipulation.

For me, i'm just a player, i dont actually touch the knobs. I have ordered a JP80 and cant wait to pick it in the coming week or so Laughing

Billy

Hey Billy Congratulations , please give us a review if you have the time .
There is simply not enough information out about this very misunderstood instrument .
This is a quote from a well respected member in another forum that I think sums up some of the misunderstanding of the Jupiter 80 . He writes

"The JP80 is the EXACT opposite. Its a bit of a mystery or enigma from its specs, marketing, and particularly form its front panel controls. In fact, my expectations were fairly low based on those factors. However, the more I dig into this board....the more I go "ahhhhaaaa....I get it! I didn't realize this. Wow, I can do THIS!" That is how the JP-80 presents itself. I don't find bugs, the OS seems very well implemented, and the possibilities are way beyond the marketing or specs would lead you to believe. "
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Hmm yes as my "incompetent" Yamaha product manager likes to tell people "nobody buys rack synths these days"[...]

I see you have the 2 greatest Yamaha rackmount synths ever: EX5R and FS1R
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
@EXer
I politely reject your cheap "Ordnung muss man haben" cliche towards a German poster. If you don't get my point, I can't change that, but you certainly won't tell me what I will keep for myself and what not.

I have nothing against German people, but 2 categories come to my mind:
¤ greatest musicians ever (Bach, Beethoven...)
¤ people who want to keep other people in line and make them march (no names mentioned...)

From the attitude shown in your posts I would place you in the 2nd category.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the review and one thing that I don't think he makes clear is that while the attack is sampled, the acoustic tones are not pure samples. They are physically modeled as well, which allows for no velocity switching and the uniquely expressive nature of the sounds in real time.

It is interesting that he frequently uses the Kronos as the basis for comparison. Having owned both for a couple of months now, I can't help but do the same when I sit with both. While I find the Jupiter interface very easy to work with, I have to agree that more physical controls would have been nice. That being said, I also completely agree with the reviewer in that the Jupiter is a sonic marvel and an absolute joy to use and play. In the all important categories of sound and expressive potential, I just don't think any other keyboard on the market compares. Omnisphere comes close, but it doesn't have the seamless dynamic ability of the Jupiter because it still uses samples and your typical way of implementing articulations.

When I do a category by category comparison of the Jupiter and Kronos, I still find great value in the Kronos synth engines. They have a distinct sound and great depth. The keyboard engines are a toss up but I prefer the SN pianos and the Kronos EPs.

When it comes to all the other acoustic sounds, I don't think the Kronos is even on the same planet as the Jupiter. Perhaps the underlying tone of the Kronos sounds are nice, but the benefits of Roland's behavioral modeling are like going from an old black and white projection theater to sitting at the best digital IMAX setup. Neither is the real thing, but after watching the IMAX you can imagine what one might feel about the old setup.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you brought up a great point. For acoustic sounds etc the Jupiter is better than the Kronos overall. However the Kronos and Roland's own JP-8000 is much better as a synthesizer and can produce much more synthesized sounds than the Jupiter. That's why people want knobs - to edit and play live.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I think you brought up a great point. For acoustic sounds etc the Jupiter is better than the Kronos overall. However the Kronos and Roland's own JP-8000 is much better as a synthesizer and can produce much more synthesized sounds than the Jupiter. That's why people want knobs - to edit and play live.

I'm not sure about producing more or better synthesized sounds, but controllers will make it more direct like the Virus.

Last edited by Bruce Lychee on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rocness

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
I just read the review and one thing that I don't think he makes clear is that while the attack is sampled, the acoustic tones are not pure samples. They are physically modeled as well, which allows for no velocity switching and the uniquely expressive nature of the sounds in real time.

It is interesting that he frequently uses the Kronos as the basis for comparison. Having owned both for a couple of months now, I can't help but do the same when I sit with both. While I find the Jupiter interface very easy to work with, I have to agree that more physical controls would have been nice. That being said, I also completely agree with the reviewer in that the Jupiter is a sonic marvel and an absolute joy to use and play. In the all important categories of sound and expressive potential, I just don't think any other keyboard on the market compares. Omnisphere comes close, but it doesn't have the seamless dynamic ability of the Jupiter because it still uses samples and your typical way of implementing articulations.

When I do a category by category comparison of the Jupiter and Kronos, I still find great value in the Kronos synth engines. They have a distinct sound and great depth. The keyboard engines are a toss up but I prefer the SN pianos and the Kronos EPs.

When it comes to all the other acoustic sounds, I don't think the Kronos is even on the same planet as the Jupiter. Perhaps the underlying tone of the Kronos sounds are nice, but the benefits of Roland's behavioral modeling are like going from an old black and white projection theater to sitting at the best digital IMAX setup. Neither is the real thing, but after watching the IMAX you can imagine what one might feel about the old setup.

Completely agreed .
Bruce , I just got my JP-80 yesterday and it has blown me away .
I also have an Oasys 88 which I love .
The Jp-80 sounds just fit better in a mix for me with out the hard work.
One of the amazing things to me is how simple the jp-80 may look but can be extremely complex at the same time .

One thing i'm sure many people don't realize is how good the supernatural acoustic sounds are . With all the expressiveness that it brings . I'm still learning tho .
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the advertising, it does take time to learn how to use each sound effectively. It is much easier than typical articulations, but as with anything, you will benefit from experience. The great thing is the Jupiter just makes you want to keep playing. It is the first instrument that makes me want to play sounds outside of the keyboard and synth sounds.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my JP-80 on Friday morning and I have not left its side since! Smile)

Like Rocness, my JP-80 sits with my O-88 and the combination is sublime.

The JP-80 fools you into thinking it's all on the surface - it's not! It's very deep. Mixing acoustic tones with synth tones in a live set produces amazing results.

The JP-80 is a joy to use, program and play. I adore the dynamic expressiveness that just isn't there on the O in the same way.

I love how the JP-80 produces warm, round and satisfying analogue sounds - all managed through a digital interface. Like Bruce says, I find the JP-80 an inspiration to play - and then add a bit of O, you then have a magical musical mix Very Happy

Quite simply, the two boards are built to be the best of their class - and they are - together they are greater than the sum of their parts Cool
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I'm not sure about producing more or better synthesized sounds, but controllers will make it more direct like the Virus.

All you guys that love the Jupiter for _synth_ sounds, do not know what you are missing if you ever played a JP-8000. I love this synth - because it doesn't try to be an oboe or violin, it's a pure synth and it has one of the features I have always wanted on a keyboard - motion control.

Seriously, this is an awesome synthesizer - if I had this control and these features in the Jupiter, it would be an entirely different story.

When I said I didn't hear anything new on the Jupiter, it was precisely because I never heard any amazing synth timbres. This JP is ridiculously alive and frankly I am sad that it was never developed more than this.

I completely understand the mix of acoustic and synth timbres, but the Jupiter is I guess really trying to be what the original Jupiter tried to be - an acoustic emulator - but was constrained at the time by analog synthesis.

I looked at the Jupiter in the wrong way. I wanted a pure synth, but it is not. It is something more.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I completely understand the mix of acoustic and synth timbres, but the Jupiter is I guess really trying to be what the original Jupiter tried to be - an acoustic emulator - but was constrained at the time by analog synthesis.

I looked at the Jupiter in the wrong way. I wanted a pure synth, but it is not. It is something more.

I think your summary is exactly right! It's not a pure synth in the way the that the JP-8 and also the Korg Trident was.

But, yes, the JP-80 is something more - and the 'more' is magical.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> But, yes, the JP-80 is something more - and the 'more' is magical.

Yes to you.

BTW: I hope you still stand by your statement that the violin in the Jupiter sounds like a 10K violin. I will play it for the symphony players here and see what they say.

Unless that wasn't you.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
> But, yes, the JP-80 is something more - and the 'more' is magical.

Yes to you.

BTW: I hope you still stand by your statement that the violin in the Jupiter sounds like a 10K violin. I will play it for the symphony players here and see what they say.

Unless that wasn't you.

Sorry - not me! Never stated that it was like a 10k violin... Such a bad analogy anyway - 10k violin is very very cheap and doesn't matter how much it is, it's how it's played that counts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: