Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JP80 threads moved
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: JP80 threads moved Reply with quote

Note to moderators: I was just posting this when the thread got moved. I appreciate Jim's contribution to the forum, but on this account I don't know why his point of view is allowed to prevail over many of us that feel differently about having JP80 reviews/comparisons.

Those of us that value this comparison are deprived, whereas it doesn't really hurt those that object- they can simply not read those posts. So in that sense it's not fair to those of us coming to the forum for a wider view.

anyway, my two cents-
------------------------------
Quote:
I certainly DO regard the way, how several JP-80 threads have been pushed and pushed again in here from 3-4 people, often with absolutely no substantial information but irrelevant smalltalk (nearly in the style of "my, have you seen the new high gloss brochure the other day?"), just to keep the keyword "JP 80" on top of the threads continously, as obviuous and shameless form of Roland advertising in midst of a dedicated Kronos forum. And it is of no interest at all to me if this is intended or just a not unwelcome aside.

There is ZERO reason why these threads should not be moved into the general synths area: they have long ceased providing ANY substantial new information which isn't already quite well known. The fact that Kronos owners talk about the JP80 all day long in a Kronos forum doesn't make it even a lttle bit more tolerable to place it here from my view: any other Kronos owner can read it in the general synths froum as well, if he is interested. And I fail to see a single reason why people who are interested in the JP-80 shouldn't get informed there or - what would be MUCH more natural, in the Roland clan, where the Kronos/JP80 owners show their double expertise just as well. Just with one difference: nobody is opening several ongoing Kronos threads over there! Why in the world SHOULD anybody do such a nonsense??? Think about it for a minute.

The forum members and moderators have to decide themselves how to handle this, but THIS thread certainly has put it over the top from my view and caused me to write this one post before keeping silent again. And I now cleatrly demand to remove all JP-80 threads from here as my explicit opinion, no matter if others like it or not.

One main reason, why I am not willing to post in this forum for a while, was exactly the from my view continuous misuse of this forum for only superficially justified Roland advertising, even if it is only for the sake of telling everybody about someones other gear all day long.

Should I open three Access Virus threads here for continuous comparison with the Kronos, with every fresh OS update, just because I happen to own both??? And two other threads for any new Moog model? Oh, I forgot, we have to tolerate this only because the JP-80 is even newer, and enjoys utmost urgency to be hyped EXACTLY in a dedicated Kronos thread!

This all is a really ridiculous way of exchanging Kronos user interests in a forum dedicated for exactly THIS purpose!

Hope to see more reasonable times in this forum again and will be ready to post again then. Or will the JP-80 be still "new" enough to misuse this forum in autumn and winter? Then I can unsubscribe right away!
Bye!

Woah, hold your horses Jim!

I could feel your loudly spoken pain when the Kronos was not given a shipping date and no clear communication to/from the distributors in Germany. And that the FG sequencer, and other qualities of the board, was left incomplete, effectively showing Rolands betrayal of trust. Both very upsetting.

But this? You sound threatened by the existence of a few threads here.

You say there's been no good info- that's not what I have seen. On this latest there were some video links from Roland that gave some good overviews. And even amongst a lot of protesting from you, Aron and a few others, the JP80 finally got its due in the form of some really decent comparisons to the Kronos, and what it offers in contrast.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm not that interested in purusing hundreds of threads like I did for the Kronos section of this forum to understand it (just not interested enough in the JP80). I do appreciate however that in the course of relatively few page reads on this forum, I've got a bit of a grasp of the JP80 and what it offers that the Kronos doesn't.

I think that for most of us here the Kronos IS KING! There's no doubt about that, and besides the JP-80 isn't even a direct competitor- it isn't a workstation.

If you read my earliest post in this thread, I talked about being duped by the hype (which is how I ended up buying the Motif XS). And the hype is not just the machinations of reputation and marketing- it's that uninformed buyers have no other perspective or way to judge.

For my workstation dollars, there's no better board on the market than the Kronos. But having learned with my Nord Stage that being musical doesn't necessarily require a workstation (with its seduction/promise of incredible technical powers), I'm very glad to have a perspective on a top-of-the-line cutting-edge board that is intuitive, easy to use, has great sounds out of the box, and is a joy to play (at least as opined by our generous reviewers).

Sorry you're taking this as a personal affront, but please don't do a Janos on us and deprive us of your great forum participation because some of us have a slightly different idea about the value and role of this forum. It's not that big of a deal, and just like the reviews of the Kronos has dried up all-too-soon to almost a trickle, I'm sure that these comparison/review dialogues on the JP80 will dissapear soon as well.

And seriously, why should your view, as it was practically shouted in this post, be so dramatic and drastic? (OK, that was a bit rhetorical- I seriously DON'T need you to answer that question!) Razz. I guess I'm feeling a little tweaked that because you feel strongly about this, many of us who DO want this will be deprived; whereas for you, it's simply a matter of ignoring these posts until they're gone. So- not fair!

Anyway, thanks for the mini-blog efforts you have shared- I wish everyone would take the time to share a bit more about what they're doing and how they're doing it with the Kronos- that is the best reading of all!

Randy
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a forum like this is clearly designed to be organized.

Sort of like your garage.

Case closed.
PauloF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: JP80 threads moved Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Note to moderators: I was just posting this when the thread got moved. I appreciate Jim's contribution to the forum, but on this account I don't know why his point of view is allowed to prevail over many of us that feel differently about having JP80 reviews/comparisons.

Those of us that value this comparison are deprived, whereas it doesn't really hurt those that object- they can simply not read those posts. So in that sense it's not fair to those of us coming to the forum for a wider view.

anyway, my two cents-
------------------------------
Quote:
I certainly DO regard the way, how several JP-80 threads have been pushed and pushed again in here from 3-4 people, often with absolutely no substantial information but irrelevant smalltalk (nearly in the style of "my, have you seen the new high gloss brochure the other day?"), just to keep the keyword "JP 80" on top of the threads continously, as obviuous and shameless form of Roland advertising in midst of a dedicated Kronos forum. And it is of no interest at all to me if this is intended or just a not unwelcome aside.

There is ZERO reason why these threads should not be moved into the general synths area: they have long ceased providing ANY substantial new information which isn't already quite well known. The fact that Kronos owners talk about the JP80 all day long in a Kronos forum doesn't make it even a lttle bit more tolerable to place it here from my view: any other Kronos owner can read it in the general synths froum as well, if he is interested. And I fail to see a single reason why people who are interested in the JP-80 shouldn't get informed there or - what would be MUCH more natural, in the Roland clan, where the Kronos/JP80 owners show their double expertise just as well. Just with one difference: nobody is opening several ongoing Kronos threads over there! Why in the world SHOULD anybody do such a nonsense??? Think about it for a minute.

The forum members and moderators have to decide themselves how to handle this, but THIS thread certainly has put it over the top from my view and caused me to write this one post before keeping silent again. And I now cleatrly demand to remove all JP-80 threads from here as my explicit opinion, no matter if others like it or not.

One main reason, why I am not willing to post in this forum for a while, was exactly the from my view continuous misuse of this forum for only superficially justified Roland advertising, even if it is only for the sake of telling everybody about someones other gear all day long.

Should I open three Access Virus threads here for continuous comparison with the Kronos, with every fresh OS update, just because I happen to own both??? And two other threads for any new Moog model? Oh, I forgot, we have to tolerate this only because the JP-80 is even newer, and enjoys utmost urgency to be hyped EXACTLY in a dedicated Kronos thread!

This all is a really ridiculous way of exchanging Kronos user interests in a forum dedicated for exactly THIS purpose!

Hope to see more reasonable times in this forum again and will be ready to post again then. Or will the JP-80 be still "new" enough to misuse this forum in autumn and winter? Then I can unsubscribe right away!
Bye!

Woah, hold your horses Jim!

I could feel your loudly spoken pain when the Kronos was not given a shipping date and no clear communication to/from the distributors in Germany. And that the FG sequencer, and other qualities of the board, was left incomplete, effectively showing Rolands betrayal of trust. Both very upsetting.

But this? You sound threatened by the existence of a few threads here.

You say there's been no good info- that's not what I have seen. On this latest there were some video links from Roland that gave some good overviews. And even amongst a lot of protesting from you, Aron and a few others, the JP80 finally got its due in the form of some really decent comparisons to the Kronos, and what it offers in contrast.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm not that interested in purusing hundreds of threads like I did for the Kronos section of this forum to understand it (just not interested enough in the JP80). I do appreciate however that in the course of relatively few page reads on this forum, I've got a bit of a grasp of the JP80 and what it offers that the Kronos doesn't.

I think that for most of us here the Kronos IS KING! There's no doubt about that, and besides the JP-80 isn't even a direct competitor- it isn't a workstation.

If you read my earliest post in this thread, I talked about being duped by the hype (which is how I ended up buying the Motif XS). And the hype is not just the machinations of reputation and marketing- it's that uninformed buyers have no other perspective or way to judge.

For my workstation dollars, there's no better board on the market than the Kronos. But having learned with my Nord Stage that being musical doesn't necessarily require a workstation (with its seduction/promise of incredible technical powers), I'm very glad to have a perspective on a top-of-the-line cutting-edge board that is intuitive, easy to use, has great sounds out of the box, and is a joy to play (at least as opined by our generous reviewers).

Sorry you're taking this as a personal affront, but please don't do a Janos on us and deprive us of your great forum participation because some of us have a slightly different idea about the value and role of this forum. It's not that big of a deal, and just like the reviews of the Kronos has dried up all-too-soon to almost a trickle, I'm sure that these comparison/review dialogues on the JP80 will dissapear soon as well.

And seriously, why should your view, as it was practically shouted in this post, be so dramatic and drastic? (OK, that was a bit rhetorical- I seriously DON'T need you to answer that question!) Razz. I guess I'm feeling a little tweaked that because you feel strongly about this, many of us who DO want this will be deprived; whereas for you, it's simply a matter of ignoring these posts until they're gone. So- not fair!

Anyway, thanks for the mini-blog efforts you have shared- I wish everyone would take the time to share a bit more about what they're doing and how they're doing it with the Kronos- that is the best reading of all!

Randy

@Jim
This kind of behavior is not new to me... it's not healthy at all.
It seems that you have something against the name Roland (...or whatever...), but that's your problem Jim, not for the rest of us.
Take care

Keys: Korg Wavestate
Softsynths: Korg iM1, ARP Odyssei, iElectribe, iMS-20, Moog AniMoog
https://jpaulof.wixsite.com/Mysite
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how overreacting and moving all the threads makes this a better forum in any way.

No offense moderators, but I think something less drastic might have been in order and been more befitting this otherwise great forum.

Last edited by Bruce Lychee on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this tread will have to be moved . lol
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respect any choice that Sharp makes with HIS forum....

However, I would ask Sharp to contemplate whether he has the intention, time, or where-with-all to monitor and manage ALL non-Kronos gear threads in the same way, with an even hand. Because by my observation, there are dozens of non-Kronos gear references and discussions in this Kronos Forum (and every other sub forum too) every week.....because any discussion about the Kronos is not complete without comparing and contrasting to other competing products. Users do not live in one-unit, or one-manufacturer, bubbles. The user experience is not just about the Kronos stand-alone...its also about how the Kronos works and compares to other (potentially non-Korg) gear. Its also a forum to discuss the investment in a Kronos, relative to the other available products which there are to invest in. And if you are going to make a choice to designate such discussions as "off topic", especially when it is solicited by the near "Bullying" style of pressure we saw today of a few highly biased participants (who can just as easily NOT tune into a single thread or three)...then I think you do the community an injustice, and misrepresent the free exchange which is the life-blood of this very place.

By moving the threads today....you essentially say: The behavior of a few extremists, on either end of the spectrum, should influence the balanced majority. Just because this a Korg forum (or a Kronos forum) shouldn't mean that a few closed minded hard-liners with their own biased agenda, should dictate and demand for all what is permissible to discuss and what is not....as long as such discussion reasonably and tastefully relates to the foundational topic....which is in this case the Kronos Synthesizer. How can a discussion which compares and contrasts the Kronos against its nearest competitor, *in the first MONTH of its release*....NOT be germane???? You had to move 4 threads, Sharp. FOUR. That is compared to hundreds of other threads, which are sprinkled with comments, opinions, and user experiences about "other non-Kronos gear", and have moved zero of those. How were these four threads a burden to anyone, other than the bully's and the extremists?

Again....I respect your choice with humility....but I question if you have really thought this through....because I know that i have received a number of PM's and emails today from some pretty disappointed and disillusioned members here, who I consider to be very respectful gentlemen, and who are the heart of this place. I know its not THAT big of a deal.....its just a forum thread....but it meant something to a number of us that a few bully's shouted out today with disrespect....and were rewarded unilaterally with "suppression". Its a pretty big thing when a few say to many: "what you have to say is not welcome here". Doesn't leave a good taste in a number of KF'ers mouths.

That's my opinion....but I could be wrong........
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.

Last edited by RonF on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems this is getting out of hand and totally out of context...and it appears it upset the applecart for some who are getting rather heated over what seemed a reasonable request,I Think one persons view is just that a personal opinion based on some kind of advertising for Roland which doesn't reflect how many others myself incuded are calling for in some kind of order with all these pointless new threads

No-one is saying a minority of members should dictate what goes on in the forums,(Some members perhaps getting a little over excited about them being moved)myself perhaps being vocal about having these extra threads moved,but its being blown out of proportion in what I actually was trying to put across..

I have no problem with Kronos vs JP80 or such,or Kronos Vs ....whatever,or comparison of the Kronos and any other name brand synths,(I do it myself)nor do I want these threads to be deleted as they contain a lot of useful insights both from RonF and Bruce who have helped greatly in helping me understand the JP80 that I Intend to buy

what my point is,and what I wish many would see it as,is about having all these new Jupiter threads,within the Kronos forum(or any other main subject forum)much of which could simply have been added onto the already active threads about such.

if there is going to be a lot of debate about instruments be it the Jupiter or any other roland synth then why does it seem unreasonable to have these in the respective sub forum if its going to start a new topic,rather than having thread after thread starting effectively trampling on the toes of the Kronos forum.I thought most forums see some kind of search function to stop newbies creating new topics which perhaps have already been discussed to death.

I Have no problem with anyone discussing a comparison or setup using any of these instruments or combinations,I just think its not really fair to the forumees (and I dare say that many Kronos users)are probably as much aggitated by all these Jupiter threads,when it could of perhaps been kept within the same threads that were already in discussion,

its kind of dominated that particular forum,(this thread also a new one being started in the same topic )I myself have been guilty of keeping it perhaps hot topic,but everyday there seems to be a new JP80 thread started,well no problem but why not do it in the respective topic sub forum,otherwise what was the point in having dedicated forums for each device.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
rather than having thread after thread starting effectively trampling on the toes of the Kronos forum

are probably as much aggitated by all these Jupiter threads,when it could of perhaps been kept within the same threads that were already in discussion,

You mean the THREE threads that got moved? One of which was admittedly inappropriate...which I personally posted as such in 10 minutes of its existence, and the OP promptly apologized and asked the Mod to delete it. So really, not sure I can see what you are saying (find ALL of these threads). It really was in about 4 or 5 threads in two weeks time. Their very existence just drove a few crazy, by my observation, when their very own negative posts in those very same threads were not met with supporting negativity....then it turned immediately to: get this discussion out of here....it doesn't belong.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP-80 threads went completely out of proportion and were kept up by a few members all the time.

To my knowledge, something similar has happenend with NO other offtopic instrument reference in musical gear forums which I know.

It is even more strange for me, if now even someone like PauloF, one of those who constantly talked down critical remarks from Roland Fantom G users in the Clan Forum, chimes in HERE to speak for Roland interests once more: in a Korg Kronos forum. I really don't need that while having a lot of fun with my new Kronos and working my way into it.

I just fail to see any reason why a Kronos forum should make a big, continuous offtopic exception for ONE instrument from ONE competitor, if those interested can discuss their other instrument in all the depth and broadth they like in the approriate general synth forum or - where it rather belongs - in the Roland Clan forum, where it happens to be on topic.

And concerning the comparison pretext: first it was said that there couldn't be any comparsion, and then there suddenly should be ongoing comparison, after all the facts are well known? Funny.

I have not and will not oppose any "other gear" talk as we are used to it, including the JP-80. For anything FAR beyond such casual asides there are proper forums to post it there.
curvebender
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The JP-80 threads went completely out of proportion and were kept up by a few members all the time.

Agree.

About time they got moved to their right place.
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh, dooodness, we better move the Kronarse .v. Komplete 8 thread toooo...ehhhh???? Hahaha

Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Korgie of around 30years, and a recent adopter of a Jupiter 80, I totally agree with moving the threads.

This is a Korg forum, and the Korgs I have, I adore. So I want to get more out of them all of the time. So I come here to learn about that.

I will go to Roland forums when I want to discuss the Jupiter.

Comparisons between future, newly released and 'vintage' keyboards is completely valid and part of a broadening of horizons for us all - but it's right to put it into the designated thread for non-specific Korg topics.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved a Roland thread out of the KORG KRONOS section and into a General Synthesizers/Keyboards section.

Seriously guys, where else do you think a Roland thread should be posted on this forum?

And I’m being accused of overacting.. ???

The thread is now where it belongs. What’s the problem ? Just go to the General Synthesizers/Keyboards section and continue the conversation.

Regards
Sharp
Mystic38

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

You are out of line.

Paulof is one of the more well balanced people who post in the clan.. The same could not be said of you..

The threads have been moved.. You can now ignore the JP80 and it's discussion.. For you surely cannot contribute to it..

jimknopf wrote:

To my knowledge, something similar has happenend with NO other offtopic instrument reference in musical gear forums which I know.

It is even more strange for me, if now even someone like PauloF, one of those who constantly talked down critical remarks from Roland Fantom G users in the Clan Forum, chimes in HERE to speak for Roland interests once more: in a Korg Kronos forum. I really don't need that while having a lot of fun with my new Kronos and working my way into it.

I just fail to see any reason why a Kronos forum should make a big, continuous offtopic exception for ONE instrument from ONE competitor, if those interested can discuss their other instrument in all the depth and broadth they like in the approriate general synth forum or - where it rather belongs - in the Roland Clan forum, where it happens to be on topic.

And concerning the comparison pretext: first it was said that there couldn't be any comparsion, and then there suddenly should be ongoing comparison, after all the facts are well known? Funny.

I have not and will not oppose any "other gear" talk as we are used to it, including the JP-80. For anything FAR beyond such casual asides there are proper forums to post it there.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Rocness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
I moved a Roland thread out of the KORG KRONOS section and into a General Synthesizers/Keyboards section.

Seriously guys, where else do you think a Roland thread should be posted on this forum?

And I’m being accused of overacting.. ???

The thread is now where it belongs. What’s the problem ? Just go to the General Synthesizers/Keyboards section and continue the conversation.

Regards
Sharp

I respect your decision .
I just don't see how this title does not belong in a Korg Kronos tread.

"Answers by Roland on Jupiter-80, may compliment your Kronos"

The title clearly suggest that the JP-80 may compliment your kronos not a better than or less than .

When this tread came up Ron quickly said this does not need to be here than I apologized and ask for it to be deleted .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: