Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Edit Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Drum Edit Question Reply with quote

I have a question concerning drum effects editing for single drum instruments:

in Program->Common->IFX->Routing, I want to set "Use DKit setting" to on, to put different effects to different drum instruments (BD, snare etc.), but it is greyed out.

No idea how to activate it.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is my question unclear, or has none of you tried to edit a Kronos drumkit so far?
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I had a similar problem the first time I tried to set up my own drum kits.

Don't forget that you have to select either "Drums" or "Double Drums" under BASIC/VECTOR > PROGRAM BASIC (Oscillator Mode). If you select SINGLE or DOUBLE, then the Use DKit Setting IS greyed out.

Also, remember that to change the FX settings for each drum sound, you need to edit the kit under GLOBAL MODE > DRUM KIT > VOICE MIXER, that's where you can route individual drum sounds to your IFX buss.

Hope this helps... It took me almost a week to figure out, not the most intuitive way of doing things!

Andy.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Andy!

While the program was set to "Drums" correctly, it seems I had changed, but not saved the global settings in Global/Drum Kits/Voice mixer. At least after checking the steps you mentioned and saving global settings I finally got the DKit setting activated!

Your feedback was spot on and probably saved me hours of search!

___

To Dan: the section in the user manual about drum kit editing should be rewritten IMHO. As it is now, it is a technical description like an abbreviated form of the parameter guide. It would be helpful to put one short step by step instruction for editing a drumkit, including separate IFX orouting, at the end of the chapter, as jumping between Global mode and Program mode paramters is probably quite un-intuitive for any user.

This counts for the basic logic of the Kronos/Oasys in general: while it techically looks logical how parameters are divided into sections like Global, Disk, Program/Combi and Sequencer mode, as user you are always in danger of losing good overview at how things are connected.

There are only two remedies to prevent that kind of confusion:
- a) writing tutorials or making video tutorials
- b) introducing a certain amount of redundace/overlap into the pure technical logic of the OS, like it is already present in functions like being able to write programs to disk directly from program mode (instead of having to jump to disk mode). I would prefer the same in the sequencer, for example: being able to write a song/song status to disk directly from the sequencer menu instead of having to jump to disk mode for that.

From my view the whole OS could profit from reviewing it to remove such kinds of usability/overview barriers, which make things seem unneccessarily complicated in practical use. The Kronos is a perfect platform to streamline the OS for many users with less technical understanding than yours or even mine.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrumKits editing on Korg's WSs are a little complicated but once you get
used to it its the easiest, everything is done in Global Mode and then that
Kit is assigned to a Program in Program Mode.
Now the Editing part in Global Mode is a little longer story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: