Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with triggering of filter cutoff with Breath Control

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Problem with triggering of filter cutoff with Breath Control Reply with quote

I am having a weird problem with the AL-1 with regards to the breath controller. I am using it to modulate the filter cutoff and amplitude. What happens is that when I play a quick passage, I hear the filter open up as if I had velocity set to cutoff and I was striking the key hard. However if I just send a continuous breath control signal and then repeatedly strike the key harder or softer, I don't hear any change (I don't have velocity modulating the cutoff as far as I know).

Now, I know the odds of people using the breath controller are low - but there are also others using a WX or other device. Just wondering if anyone has heard this.

I don't think it occurs with the MS-20. I'm still working on a breath controlled patch for that.

The positive is that the Kronos responds very quickly to breath control. Faster than any MIDI device I have owned. It sounds great too.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aron, send me the patch and I'll take a look at it and test it. I can also send you some of my BC programs.

BTW, I would use the AMS Mixer -> Smoothing to give you a smoother response vs. straight #02.

Busch.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will get it sent in the next day or so. Will PM when it's up.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with triggering of filter cutoff with Breath Con Reply with quote

aron wrote:
I am having a weird problem with the AL-1 with regards to the breath controller. I am using it to modulate the filter cutoff and amplitude. What happens is that when I play a quick passage, I hear the filter open up as if I had velocity set to cutoff and I was striking the key hard. However if I just send a continuous breath control signal and then repeatedly strike the key harder or softer, I don't hear any change (I don't have velocity modulating the cutoff as far as I know).

Just to check - what about velocity modulating filter envelope amount?

Note that JS -Y (joystick down) sends CC#02 as well (the normal breath controller CC). Does the same thing happen if you use JS -Y?

aron wrote:
The positive is that the Kronos responds very quickly to breath control. Faster than any MIDI device I have owned. It sounds great too.

Smile

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I believe I checked that. I will send the program to Busch tomorrow. I am using the vector joystick 02 as far as I know. I will check tomorrow. One thing I did not check is some problem with the Anatek wind machine.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here it is.
If you listen to this sample, I am blowing softly, but when I play the notes starting from 10 sec, the top note is soft, then the subsequent notes are much louder due to the filter opening up. AFAIK I am not trying to blow any harder - just keeping the same breath control.

Example of problem

Here's the patch - at program 44:

PCG Bank for breath control

Finally, here is an example of how the patch sounds:

Kronos with BC control

Here are my screen settings:

danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EG3 is assigned as AMS2 for the filter cutoff. Could that be contributing?

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT was IT! Thank you!

I like the effect a little, it makes the program a little more alive.
KILLER SYNTH!

Aron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: